110v hot water heater

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

110v hot water heater

Postby atcNick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 pm

What do you guys think of using a 110v tank hot water heater? I’m looking at the Bosch 4 gallon mini tank. I was originally going to go with propane but tossing around the idea of going electric. I have a 30 amp shore power 12’ cargo trailer. I use it for Bbq Cookoffs. It will serve one utility sink only. No shower no toilet.

The reason I want to go electric is for the convenience of not having to plumb propane and have a tankless mounted in the outside. The downside of electric is I can’t run the water heater and ac at the same time. I figure I can run the water heater for an hour then turn it off to run the ac.

Any input appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 110v hot water heater

Postby MtnDon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Why not use an RV water heater? Suburban and Attwood both make units that operate on propane with an integral 120 VAC electric heating element. Best of both worlds; use the campground power when available and propane when it is not.

Like this 6 gallon Suburban
Last edited by MtnDon on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Trebor English » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 am

With a 30 amp shore power connection it works much better than using a generator. If there is no shore power you could have 4 gallons of previously heated water.

The only problem I can think of is that a 240 volt 4000 watt heater will only produce 1000 watts at 120 volts, half voltage times half current = quarter power. That only means it will take longer to heat. If you want to plug in to preheat a tankful you'll have to plug in a couple of hours before you go rather than 15 minutes.

Make sure you never plug it in without enough water in the tank to cover the heater.
Trebor English
Gold Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:38 pm

An alternative: portable hot water shower systems. They cost a mint, but nothing's easier.

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/boss-x ... ystem.html
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 pm

We have a Hot Rod with our gas RV water heater and there is no reason you could not use a steel/aluminum tank and plumb it directly, has a temp regulator as part of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group-HR6-Universal-Hott/dp/B002SSIBSA
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets