What are ya'll using for heat?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: What are ya'll using for heat?

Postby Squigie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Alright, diesel guys. I promise I'll look into it.
Just don't expect me to convert.

KTM_Guy wrote:If you can go 4-5 days at a toasty 60-65 degrees on one battery charge why look for another option? Add another battery or a solar panel for more days out.

Todd

The Teardrop build is a supplement to that tent trailer.
The tent trailer is inefficient and a pain to set up when it's just me - or even my wife or son, and I. ...But it still has its place.
(It's also too wide for some places I go, too low for some roads I travel, and too heavy when loaded for extended stays. But, again, that's why the teardrop is being built.)

The teardrop that this discussion is about will be a new, secondary camp trailer for "lighter" trips with only one or two people.
I can't really just borrow the tent trailer's furnace when I take the teardrop out. ;)

I only brought that up to point out that I'm not worried about battery life with a decent furnace.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 am

Old tiny marine stoves may have used coal or charcoal.

A teardrop stove must have these important features. Outside exhaust and prefer all openings outside for positive killing suffocation control. Isolation from the wood and foam, anything that burns.

A homemade idea I have is a sheet metal panel to replace a window in winter. The stove would be 3 or 4" iron pipe with L's on both ends. The sheet metal would have holes for the L's to go through. Pipe inside, openings outside. Sheet isolates the hot pipe from wood. The outside openings would have a cap on the bottom and a flap at the top. Charcoal brickettes would be fed in the top to keep the pipe warm.

Anyway that is as far as I got. I have thought about oil, liquid fuel but it is too dangerous for homemade. Unless it is used to heat water and the water thermosiphons to the bed.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Squigie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm

I checked out some diesel heaters online and even stopped in at a local truck stop to look at what they had in stock; and then cruised down the road a bit to talk to my aunt (a locally-based trucker).
No diesel for me.
I don't want to deal with the fuel. I don't want the stink. They have long startups with 'high' amp draws. And they all seem to draw too many amps when running, for my liking.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Suburban NT-16SEQ propane furnace.
Should be a 2.7 amp draw after a 3.5-4 amp startup spike.
22 lbs.
In theory, propane consumption should be near my last two furnaces.
Data is mixed about whether or not that model can be ducted, or is direct-discharge-only. I guess I'll find out for sure when it shows up.
If it can be ducted, I can tuck it away in a cabinet on the rear bulkhead (with an allowance for return air), and duct to where I want the heat.
If it's direct-discharge, I'll look into Suburban's "special" intake and exhaust pipes, and see where that takes me. I may require some creative thinking and asymmetrical cabin design.
We'll see after it arrives and I have some time to take it apart before I ever use it...
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 am

Was very curious what would come up on this thread. We do use heat in our conventional trailer and as I go into the build am researching alternates ways of doing so. Our usage is only just before bed (changing into jammies) and in the morning (changing out of).

Most of our camping is below 4K ft, yet have (and will) return to the spots over 8K. Have woken to snow in several times (and frozen water in the truck bed).

I see the OP is going propane and being we now have one (and like it) will probably do the same. Since I will have a cooktop & frig running on propane, adding the heater seems reasonable.
Now, here's where I get weird.. My existing frig expels heat out through the sidewalls vents. I've wondered just how much and if I could redirect that heat back into the trailer.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wellcraft290 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am

cheap chinese diesel. 110 bucks on ebay.

saw lots of vids. 9 amps on startup from the glow plug then down to .5 amp while running on low. I plan on this setup and keep the tank outside in the front box.
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 pm

I love my 5k btu Chinese diesel heater. I burn kerosene ... no smell ... sips fuel and very low average amp draw.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Squigie wrote:They have long startups with 'high' amp draws. And they all seem to draw too many amps when running, for my liking.

I know you've already picked a heater but just a clarification for the next guy; my Espar diesel heater draws 20 amps for 30 seconds while starting or 0.16 amp-hrs. After that, the current draw is probably less than the Suburban as mine throttles back to low at night. And I guarantee its a lot quieter than the Suburban.

It does have a diesel stink, but I have a diesel truck so it doesn't bother me. I don't ever smell it inside, there's something wrong if you do.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:12 pm

I'm more than pleased with my little Propex...

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am

I appreciate the late replies.
Hopefully, someone can gain some knowledge and take some inspiration from this thread in the future.

But I'm still sticking with the NT-16SEQ.
I paid for it. It's here. It has been tested. The 'squear-drop', in more than one way, has been designed around it.
It's quiet. It works. It draws very little power. And it's easy to work with. (Well... In theory...)
And I hate diesel and the accompanying stench. Propane is easy and doesn't stink to hell and back.

I'm sticking with what I've got.

And, remember... This is the "make mistakes now, so you can improve upon them next time" - trailer.
This one is for me - and my selfish desire for simple, heated accommodations while hunting - but the next one will be for the whole family. ...Or maybe just me and the wife while cruising in the Nova. But, if that's the case, the one after that (I guess) will be for the whole family.
:NC

(For those of you keeping tabs - yes, that means I have almost completely finalized the plans. There are very few loose ends to tie up. Hopefully, I figure out which ones are left hanging before it's too late. Build Journal coming as soon as steel is cut!)
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am

Back to basics......

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby fishboat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 am

Last edited by fishboat on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tyrtill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:18 pm

I’m using a diesel heater:

Pros: Lots of heat, fuel readily available, relatively low power use (.8A-4A while running low-high), relatively cheap (<$150), variable output, thermostat control

Cons: The dosing pump click!!!!!, Does use power, large startup shutdown power draw (~1Ahr), stinky outside, a bit of a pain to install, poor instructions (but plenty available online), does not shut off when temperature is reached so if “low” is not cool enough you have to open a window or turn the unit completely off

Overall I have been happy with it the half dozen times I’ve used it.
After my research I mostly decided based on price. If I knew the pump click was going to be as loud as it is I may have thought more about the spendy propane heaters but I likely would have bought diesel anyway. A side effect of it being on all night is that the water jug I store near the heater ends up being 100+ degrees and makes for good dishwashing.

However....

My favorite heater I’ve seen on the forums is KenethW’s Homemade Radiant propane Heater
KennethW wrote:This is what I am going to try on my tear drop. It is a small version of the warehouse heaters. It uses a propane torch clamped to a conduit union with of piece of conduit going across the top inside of the teardrop with a florescent light reflector over it that will be painted silver.
I will use stainless steel dog dishes with a hole thru the bottom as wall thimble mounted to the wall

If i was building a different style camper I almost definitely would have built something similar but I just couldn’t come up with a pop up friendly version that fit my floorplan
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 am

I bought my Espar 10 years ago when there was a lot of them on eBay; I think a lot of truckers were converting to APUs so there was a bunch up for sale. They were relatively cheap back then, so much so that I have an entire spare unit stashed in my basement (don't tell anyone). I'm not sure I'd get a Chinese diesel or take a DIY approach, I don't like rolling the dice where there's no second chance if things go wrong in the night. I'd probably take a long hard look at the Propex if I was buying a heater today. Or get a big dog. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby NevadaBlue » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:08 pm

bobhenry wrote:Back to basics......

Bob,
First, I want to thank you for all the great input you have had and have now on this forum. I just finished reading the Caboose thread, an epic. You are a tough dude for sure. Thank you again.

So, with your pic in mind, this would work. The Samovar... they are thin stainless steel, available from Amazon among other places for 50 to 100 bucks. They generally heat a gallon of water. So, a small wood fired stove, WITH water heater (which I am sure will moderate the affects of the fire on the whole contraption. I’m tempted to buy one for my little trailer I am building. They are about 10” in diameter, so they could be easily installed in a box like you showed, or in my case, sit on top of a shelf that is in the plan for my one-man rig.

5D983BE0-D696-40D8-9E98-BCE5841FF5FB.jpeg
5D983BE0-D696-40D8-9E98-BCE5841FF5FB.jpeg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 am

I am sure you noticed the entire unit is simply clamped in place. This was done for quick ejection if needed. The clamp on neich was lined with galvanized roofing material to separate combustable surfaces from the direct radiant heat and to help diffuse it as well. I would strongly suggest this as a mounting as it avoided cutting a chimney exit into the roof of the teardrop. I was amazed that this little 14" stove heated the unit in minutes with an outside temp in the teen's and a rather biting wind. I used salesman sample double sash aluminum storm windows in this build. This allowed the sashes to be quickly and easily removed and stored away after arrival. This feature allowed the neich to be temporarily added to the trailer.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets