My Propex Heater installation

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

My Propex Heater installation

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 am

Let me preface this by saying that heat isn't needed in a teardrop unless you're camping on the shoulder seasons.

But I thought I'd share this. These little British made heaters are great (but spendy). They burn about 1/3 pound of propane per running hour.

The model I chose was the HS2000. They are only 18" long, 9" deep and 4 3/4" tall. They do need an inch of clearance on the top and sides. The 1" intake and exhaust pipes for the combustion chamber exit from the bottom.

I designed in enough room for mine behind the cooler. In the upper photo, the hot air inlet is on the left and the cold return is on the right. Keep in mind that the air comes in at about 180º so you really need some space above your bedding inside the cabin.

The propane comes in on the right side. Make sure you have enough room for the elbow fitting down below.

The black heat line is a special low-noise product that significantly reduces the decibel level produced by the heater. It's sold by the U.S. importer, Westy-Ventures. http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html

I had to hunt for the elbows I used for a cleaner installation for the hot and cold airlines. I found a pair of "Eberspaecher Webasto Heater 75mm Car Air Ducting Pipe Elbow Outlet Connectors" on eBay for $8 apiece. They fit nicely into the supplied Propex vent fittings after a little work with a drum sander.

For installation, the heaters come with a full-sized diagram that marks where to drill the combustion exhaust and air hoses which for the

The first problem I had was that they are plumbed for British propane fittings. I found a "Straight Adapter, 1/4 NPT Female x 1/4 BSPT Male" on McMaster Carr to fix this issue. It's their item #1786N128.

The installation requires two 1 3/4" holes to be drilled through the floor. Since my floor is 1 1/4" thick, it almost allows for the hose clamps that hold the intake/exhaust pipes on to nest in the holes. I solved this problem by joining two small (and skinny) hose clamps for each tube. 2" holes would be easier.

But now you've got two large holes in the floor and since the heater sits about 1/2" off the floor these holes are not sealed. I solved this problem with two pieces of .040 aluminum and RTV high-heat silicone.

Here's the detail:

Since I installed a Partner stove that needed a high-pressure regulator, I needed two different regulators. One for the Propex (it comes with a two-sage 11" WC regulator) and one for my cookstove.

Here's how I mounted mine next to my 11-pound tank:

I'm lucky enough to have a good friend that's been in the propane installation business for thirty years. Of course, I brought him in on the project. He talked me out of black pipe and into rubber hose. I'm glad he did. It was an easy task to run the 112" hose back to the heater. And of course, he made the hose up for me with 1/4" NPT fittings. I think that cost me $15.

I wired in a cutoff switch for the electrical line to the heater. There's a tiny parasitic draw that could be a problem after a month or two. I think I figured out that it would be about 10 amps per month if it was left hot.

Heat isn't often needed in a teardrop, but when it's icy, it's a good thing. :frightened:

:beer:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: My Propex Heater installation

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 pm

What 20# tank is that? It looks small in the picture.

We have a 1 gallon or 5 pound tank now and with the stove and water heater will last 5-7 days. Not sure how long it will last once we throw in needing to run the Propex too. I was thinking of getting an 11# or 2.5 gallon tank just to be on the safe side.

I have a chart that tells me how full the tank is by weight. I keep a fish scale in my camp gear box. This next trip will be the first time using it.

Cylinder in Ounces % remaining Oz of propane
146.2 10% 8.2
154.4 20% 16.8
162.6 30% 24.6
170.8 40% 32.8
179.0 50% 41.0
182.2 60% 49.2
195.4 70% 57.4
203.6 80% 65.6
211.8 90% 73.8
220.0 100% 82.0
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:40 pm

What 20# tank is that? It looks small in the picture.

Oooops. It's an 11# tank. I change it in the post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOLF1IQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a chart that tells me how full the tank is by weight.

I bought an inline gauge I'm going to throw in the tongue box so I can check how the tank is doing from time to time. I wouldn't be surprised to find that we only fill that bottle once a year.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Those are great heaters. We had one in a VW Westfalia.
Looks good.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 pm

tony.latham wrote:The black heat line is a special low-noise product that significantly reduces the decibel level produced by the heater. It's sold by the U.S. importer, Westy-Ventures. http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html

Tony

If any you blokes know where I can get this in 80 mm, I'll drop a few quid and adapt it to my Climateright.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:21 pm

I really wanted one of these but went with the Diesel heater instead. No more than I need it I couldn't justify the cost. It chugs along good on K1. Your installation looks great, as expected from you! Nice work Tony

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I really wanted one of these but went with the Diesel heater instead. No more than I need it I couldn't justify the cost. It chugs along good on K1. Your installation looks great, as expected from you! Nice work Tony

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This was new in the box for a significant savings from a private party. But I was going to bight and pay retail.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 am

Just a bit of an update after several trips this summer.

I took that shot a few days ago (in July) at 8,400' feet along the Continetal Divide. There was frost on the teardrop that moning.

I won't build another teardrop without a Propex heater. They are that nice and we use ours a lot more than I expected.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Tony,

I’m Iooking at your installation (this pic):

How flexible is the sound insulated ducting you have on your heater?
In other words...
Would you say that the sound insulated ducting would be able to make a 180° turn in a 1’ wide by 1’ tall cabinet space?

I’m trying to plan out my installation and trying keep the intake/exhaust away from the trailer frame. It’s easier with the heater facing one direction, but the hot air would have to double back.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Would you say that the sound insulated ducting would be able to make a 180° turn in a 1’ wide by 1’ tall cabinet space?

I think it would. :thinking:

If not, a couple of 90º elbows that could take the heat might solve the problem.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Thank you Tony! :thumbsup:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eLink » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Because I don't have quite enough room behind my ice chest space, the model I got is for vertical or under-floor installations. The fittings and vents are a bit different from the HS2000. But with a little modification, and the 90 deg. elbows that Tony suggested, it's working out to be a clean installation!
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:06 pm

...it's working out to be a clean installation!

Way cool. (and clean) Those things are sooo fine! :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets