Sink, but no grey water holding tank?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Sink, but no grey water holding tank?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:29 am

I've had a Park Ranger make me put it away because...

I had a campground host in Yellowstone tell me I was in violation of the unattended food rule because my hatch was open with some cheese was on the countertop while I was inside for a moment. I recall thinking, "but if I'm in camp, how can it be unattended?" I kept my mouth shut and promised to be a good boy.

It was early September and I think it'd been a long summer. :frightened:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 am

dbhosttexas wrote:
bdosborn wrote:I have a blue tote that is connected to my sink and shower via a garden hose. I set it up under the trailer when I'm camping and empty/pack it up when I leave. I've had a Park Ranger make me put it away because "all trailers must be self contained and dumping grey water is prohibited". He came back regularly to see if there was a puddle under my trailer. So it depends on where you are camping as to what the rules are. FWIW.

Bruce

Am I reading that correctly? Did the ranger tell you to not use your gray water collection device I.E. the blue tote, and then frequently harass you by checking for puddles to verify non compliance with gray water collection requirements? I guess he couldn't get on an HOA board...

One of "those" in every crowd. :thumbdown:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:36 am

tony.latham wrote:
I've had a Park Ranger make me put it away because...

I had a campground host in Yellowstone tell me I was in violation of the unattended food rule because my hatch was open with some cheese was on the countertop while I was inside for a moment. I recall thinking, "but if I'm in camp, how can it be unattended?" I kept my mouth shut and promised to be a good boy.

It was early September and I think it'd been a long summer. :frightened:

Tony

Well, in fairness to the campground host, I had a camp robber tell me the same thing (essentially--though he seemed more appreciative) when I went back to the bear box just a few feet away for something I'd forgotten, and left the cheese on the picnic table. That was probably at Rocky in mid-July.

Poor guy ate right through the packaging, so I've wondered how that affected him. Clearly he was familiar enough with my species to not be afraid as long as he was more than an arms length away. And familiar enough with cheese to recognize the orange block even before the plastic around it was unsealed to let the smell out.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:43 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Am I reading that correctly? Did the ranger tell you to not use your gray water collection device I.E. the blue tote, and then frequently harass you by checking for puddles to verify non compliance with gray water collection requirements? I guess he couldn't get on an HOA board...

That's the only guy that ever hassled us, and it was so long ago I don't remember where it was at. I have forgiven his tresspasses. ;)

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 pm

bdosborn wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:Am I reading that correctly? Did the ranger tell you to not use your gray water collection device I.E. the blue tote, and then frequently harass you by checking for puddles to verify non compliance with gray water collection requirements? I guess he couldn't get on an HOA board...

That's the only guy that ever hassled us, and it was so long ago I don't remember where it was at. I have forgiven his tresspasses. ;)

Bruce

I've never once been hassled in a campground. And Lord knows I, in my 20s had some crazy things happening in my camp sites. Including vagrant violations of the alcohol bans.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:16 am

this is an ever present issue which can become heated in some camping areas/CG's

when camping in undeveloped areas we would do our washing in a large stainless bowl that got heated on the stove w/ a like bowl for rinsing

the activity of washing took place on the table

when finished we would walk away from camp(as mentioned above) and sling the gray water in a broad arc so that it would either evaporate or sink into the earth rather rapidly w/ any food scraps beint widley dispersed

when camping in CG's where others might come into the same site as we were leaving we kept a pickle bucket handy for wagging the gray water to an "approved" location for dumping daily or as needed if sooner

a bucket doesn't take up any space when you use it to pack other items(cleaning agents) in for transit

and rememberize those buckets come in 3.5, 5 n 6 gallon sizes to fit most any camp's needs

if the CG requires a lidded gray water container using a lid w/ a bung n funnel appeased the Rangers

this aint rocket surgery folks

don't leave a site/area that you wouldn't want your grandmother to visit or your infant to crawl around in

just an old man's 2¢ worth this morning

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:54 pm

dbhosttexas wrote: And Lord knows I, in my 20s had some crazy things happening in my camp sites. Including vagrant violations of the alcohol bans.

Yeah me too, I would hate to camp next to 20 year old me. :oops:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm

I would hate to camp next to 20 year old me. :oops:

I'd give that kid a pull from my bottle.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Tony

17 to about 35, oddly enough the duration of my relationship with my ex and the first year following. Once she was out of hte picture and things stabilized, I have become nearly a teetotaler.... Not against it per se. Just never think gee I want a drink...

Cause and effect?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

17 to about 35, oddly enough the duration of my relationship with my ex and the first year following. Once she was out of hte picture and things stabilized, I have become nearly a teetotaler.... Not against it per se. Just never think gee I want a drink...

Cause and effect?
That photograph was taken on a fire in Alaska at least thirty years ago. We were about two hundred miles from the nearest road, and lo and behold there was an empty whisky bottle laying on the tundra. We passed it around and gave the camera our baddest-badass look.

I think I won the contest.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets