The Aroma of Propane

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

The Aroma of Propane

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 am

During our last outing we noticed the slight smell of propane coming from around the area of our stove. I checked with soapy water around the fittings and did not find any leaks (not to say there might have been one that I missed, but don't think so). Shortly after all this our tank ran out of propane and I went and had the tank refilled. After the refill the smell was gone, we no longer smelled propane. I then wondered as the tank runs really low would that (somehow) produce the propane aroma we noticed? Any thoughts? (we are using a 5 lb Flame King tank).

Thanks

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: The Aroma of Propane

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:27 am

Hi John,

I don't know how this happens, but I suspect it may be so. By coincidence, our cabin's 250 gallon tank just ran out last week! The propane company came out and refilled it and re-started our pilot lights, apologizing profusely. Our last fill was in early March, and we uncharacteristically stopped burning fire wood and warmed the cabin with propane in March and April, and then suddenly decided to stay for the Summer (our water heater uses propane) which may have lead to the scheduling problem.

Anyway, Shelly mentioned smelling gas a few times around the kitchen stove for a week or so before we ran out. I asked the tech and he said that was common. Again though, not sure why. The stove uses an electric starter and the oven uses a glo-plug, so no pilot there to go out and leave a small trace of gas. Sounds like the system on your tear is similar. :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby mountainminded » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:52 am

I’ve noticed this same phenomenon over the years and also wondered about it. The odorant is an additive and I suspect it can concentrate along with the moisture in the bottom of the tank. Years ago I tried to completely empty an old BBQ tank by removing the valve and inverting the tank. The syrup that drained out had an intense propane odor that took about a week to wash off my hands. I consider the increasing odor phenomenon to be a sort of early warning that it’s time for a fill.
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:48 pm

mountainminded wrote: I consider the increasing odor phenomenon to be a sort of early warning that it’s time for a fill.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe as the tank empties the propane, it also is loosing its original pressure which (somehow) is moving through the lines in a slower fashion....maybe not burning off as quickly and producing that familiar smell (just a wild assed guess). As long as others have noticed this when their tanks get low, good enough for me
:)

Thanks.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:13 pm

This is a fine example of why humans shouldn't eat rotten eggs or for that matter, sauerkraut.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets