Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: #1

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 pm

I installed door latchs to keep the shelf up for transit.

DSCF5088.JPG
door latch
DSCF5088.JPG (156.83 KiB) Viewed 10206 times

And then I installed broom handle clamps to hold the prop rods in place during transit.

DSCF5090.JPG
Broom handle clamp
DSCF5090.JPG (158.64 KiB) Viewed 10206 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Shelf up, prop rods stowed....

DSCF5093.JPG
Shelf stowed
DSCF5093.JPG (157.46 KiB) Viewed 10205 times

Ready to go :thumbsup:

DSCF5094.JPG
Ready to go
DSCF5094.JPG (138.71 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Redneck Packrat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Looking really sharp! :thumbsup:

I bought a box of those screws a week or so ago. Always like the integral "washer" on the heads, figured I'd use 'em for *something* when I get to the detail work on mine. Had the 4.79 (?) at the moment, figured it wouldn't go to waste :thinking:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 am

No license plate ? ... or did we miss that … Looks great ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Nice work as always.

For a little finishing detail that will extend the life of your wire cables, consider adding wire rope thimbles. They help maintain a minimum radius and keep the cable rope from kinking at the bend point in the eyelet loop.

For light duty applications such as yours, I sometimes prefer the crimp style sleeve instead of the cable clamps. The small ones for 1/16 dia wire can be crimped with a std set of wire crimpers intended for non-insulated terminals (the kind with a dimpling die on one side). Trim the tag end with a small cut off wheel in the Dremel and sheath with electrical shrink wrap.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:26 pm

GPW wrote:No license plate ? ... or did we miss that … Looks great ... :thumbsup:

License plate will be on the bumper once installed. Thanks.

KCStudly wrote:Nice work as always.

For a little finishing detail that will extend the life of your wire cables, consider adding wire rope thimbles. They help maintain a minimum radius and keep the cable rope from kinking at the bend point in the eyelet loop.

For light duty applications such as yours, I sometimes prefer the crimp style sleeve instead of the cable clamps. The small ones for 1/16 dia wire can be crimped with a std set of wire crimpers intended for non-insulated terminals (the kind with a dimpling die on one side). Trim the tag end with a small cut off wheel in the Dremel and sheath with electrical shrink wrap.

Thanks KC, I looked at those, but was not sure if this was even going to work yet or not. Might redo it this way. Probably would look better for sure.

Redneck Packrat wrote:Looking really sharp! :thumbsup:

I bought a box of those screws a week or so ago. Always like the integral "washer" on the heads, figured I'd use 'em for *something* when I get to the detail work on mine. Had the 4.79 (?) at the moment, figured it wouldn't go to waste :thinking:

Thanks. I use those screws for a lot of applications. I have them in 3 different lengths.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm

ghcoe wrote:
OP827 wrote:That looks good! What is Coe's Foamie Smoothie Mix made of?

Coe's Foamie Smoothie Mix
I took a empty gallon paint can and marked inside from the bottom up every 2". I added Glidden Gripper to the first mark, Dap ALEX PLUS caulk to the second line (about 2 tubes) and Dap Fast'N Final Lightweight Spackling to the final mark. Made about 3/4 of a gallon all together. I mixed it with a paint mixer on a drill and it came out nice and creamy.

Before application I sanded the canvas after I applied the sizing coats to knock down high points.

I found application to work best with a 4" putty knife. It goes on basically like you are painting on the primer with a putty knife instead of with a brush.

In most cases the canvas has a higher weave going in one direction. Working with the higher weave or going 45 degrees to it hides the weave the best. Basically you want to keep the putty knife gliding over the higher weave to fill in the lower areas. I was able to hide some small wrinkles fairly easily as well as some dimples.

I did not think this mix would go vary far. I have done both sides of the body, doors (one side) and roof, and still have about half the mix left still. :thumbsup:

For me it was easy to work with and had a long work time.

"Sizing coats" ? After you used the smoothie mix over the canvas. Did you paint over the body with Gripper ? Looking at what you wrote, I may be able to get by with just 1 quart of Gripper. How much Fast N Final do you think you use ? a Quart ?
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 pm

rustytoolss wrote:
ghcoe wrote:
OP827 wrote:That looks good! What is Coe's Foamie Smoothie Mix made of?

Coe's Foamie Smoothie Mix
I took a empty gallon paint can and marked inside from the bottom up every 2". I added Glidden Gripper to the first mark, Dap ALEX PLUS caulk to the second line (about 2 tubes) and Dap Fast'N Final Lightweight Spackling to the final mark. Made about 3/4 of a gallon all together. I mixed it with a paint mixer on a drill and it came out nice and creamy.

Before application I sanded the canvas after I applied the sizing coats to knock down high points.

I found application to work best with a 4" putty knife. It goes on basically like you are painting on the primer with a putty knife instead of with a brush.

In most cases the canvas has a higher weave going in one direction. Working with the higher weave or going 45 degrees to it hides the weave the best. Basically you want to keep the putty knife gliding over the higher weave to fill in the lower areas. I was able to hide some small wrinkles fairly easily as well as some dimples.

I did not think this mix would go vary far. I have done both sides of the body, doors (one side) and roof, and still have about half the mix left still. :thumbsup:

For me it was easy to work with and had a long work time.

"Sizing coats" ? After you used the smoothie mix over the canvas. Did you paint over the body with Gripper ? Looking at what you wrote, I may be able to get by with just 1 quart of Gripper. How much Fast N Final do you think you use ? a Quart ?

Not for sizing. Sizing needs to be thin to absorb into the canvas. You could probably apply directly over sizing though. I painted over my sizing with Gripper first and then applied the Fomie Smoothie after that. Just worked out that way because it was a after thought. Probably was about a quart of each. Been a while since I applied that so my memory is not the best on that. Just made nearly a gallon so sounds about right.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm

I have yet to canvas my trailer. I will be applying the canvas with TBII (50%mix) . Then was planning to recoat that with a 25/75% mix of TBII. Then cover that with Gripper (maybe 2 coats, then exterior High gloss paint. I'm unsure of what sizing is ??? Is that my second coat of TBII (25/75) mix ???? :? :oops:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 pm

rustytoolss wrote:I have yet to canvas my trailer. I will be applying the canvas with TBII (50%mix) . Then was planning to recoat that with a 25/75% mix of TBII. Then cover that with Gripper (maybe 2 coats, then exterior High gloss paint. I'm unsure of what sizing is ??? Is that my second coat of TBII (25/75) mix ???? :? :oops:

Yes. Sizing is to fill the canvas fibers with a solid so it does not absorb water. thinned TBII and paint will work. It is also used to make the canvas easier to cut. I used 50/50 for all my canvasing needs except for when I fold and attach the edges, I use full strength TBII then.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:02 am

You said that the "smoothie mix" was an after thought. So would have you put on the smoothie mix first, before you put on the gripper primer. Had you known you were going to use the smoothie mix ?
Second question. I got an event in about 2 1/2 weeks. I trying hard to have my trailer ready for that. But not sure it will happen. What are your thoughts about exposing a trailer to the weather( never know if it might rain) with just the bare canvas that has been glued down with a 50% mix & sized with a 50% mix of TBII. This would just be for one weekend. Then after that, cover the sizing with the smoothie mix/ then primer/ then exterior paint ???????? Would you take a chance on it being waterproof ????
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:54 pm

rustytoolss wrote:You said that the "smoothie mix" was an after thought. So would have you put on the smoothie mix first, before you put on the gripper primer. Had you known you were going to use the smoothie mix ?
Second question. I got an event in about 2 1/2 weeks. I trying hard to have my trailer ready for that. But not sure it will happen. What are your thoughts about exposing a trailer to the weather( never know if it might rain) with just the bare canvas that has been glued down with a 50% mix & sized with a 50% mix of TBII. This would just be for one weekend. Then after that, cover the sizing with the smoothie mix/ then primer/ then exterior paint ???????? Would you take a chance on it being waterproof ????

I think that I would still have applied the Gripper before the smoothie mix still.

I think you should be fine without the paint for the trip. Even if it does rain the canvas would still dry out if it soaked any water into it.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 pm

One last (well maybe not) question. After you applied the smoothie mix,..did you re-prime the body with gripper before applying your top coat of paint ?
I ask a lot of questions. It's better to ask someone that has done this, than to learn the hard/expensive way !
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 pm

rustytoolss wrote:One last (well maybe not) question. After you applied the smoothie mix,..did you re-prime the body with gripper before applying your top coat of paint ?
I ask a lot of questions. It's better to ask someone that has done this, than to learn the hard/expensive way !

No problem. I just painted of the smoothie.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Been a very busy last few weeks. I have not even had time to post up some pictures so figured since I have a little time now I'll post some up.

I finished painting the battery box. Next was hinges and reinstalling the vents.

DSCF5229.JPG
Battery box
DSCF5229.JPG (155.65 KiB) Viewed 9901 times

Next was mounting it back onto the trailer tongue. I was able to get most of the wiring redone too.

DSCF5230.JPG
Battery box mounted
DSCF5230.JPG (153.31 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies