Folding Foamie Camper a la Casita or Esterel in the Works

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Folding Foamie Camper a la Casita or Esterel in the Work

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:37 pm

Nice to see the whole thing with the walls up! I envy all the room and ceiling height.
Pmullen503
500 Club

Postby TinkerTailor » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks PMullen - definitely nice to see it taking shape. It has more head room than I strictly need, but since it folds up I'll take it.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Terra6 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am

Looking good. :thumbsup:
You must be very excited and happy at this stage
Couple thoughts on your previous questions.

Flooring. Definitely go with an all plastic hard floor. Especially for winter use. Use small carpettes in winter.
I used plastic planks and don't worry about water at all. Used a 1/2 inch solid plastic stone which is tough and durable as well. Costs more but I got it on sale. Besides, can install last and the actual exposed floor won't be allot so not that big an expense.

Tongue length
The minimum that you would require is 1/2 the width of the tow.
vehicle plus a bit. Allows for 90 degree turns without contacting. Can go longer by a few inches for more sharp turning clearance cushion if desired.
Necessary? If your angle is that sharp, what have you got yourself into? :shock: :lol:
With a trailer, forethought and skill come into play.

So what's the plan for roof attachment and sealing?

Did the same overbuild to 6x10 on a HF 4x8. Extended 1 foot on all sides. Points to consider, chassis and or floor flex effects and wheelwells. Light build helps allot with flex to a certain point. But not for enclosing the wheels. Had a flat once and a tire blowout can cause serious damage at speed. The original tires are only rated to 55mph if I remember correctly. Why many up size to a 13 inch tire. Those 12 inch originals are ok but consider changing if going to do any serious miles.
HF had to stop selling their trailers for a few years due to tire and DOT issues fyi.
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TinkerTailor » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the info Terra - super helpful!

As to the roof, here are the sketches of project:

The roof will be foam/PMF with wood frame around the edge, two lengthwise 1X spars, and a number of crosswise spars. Has to be pretty strong in case of snow. There will be a skirt made of 1/4" ply that extends down 8 inches in order to weather proof it when set up or when in tow mode. I'm going to put some pretty thick foam weatherizing tape around the top of the walls so that the roof will rest on that when set up.

I'll use some latches to keep it down. I bought something like this https://www.grainger.com/product/3VUN5? ... gIPafD_BwE

Flexible T latches. But I'll make the final decision on latch type after making the roof. For a designer of my amateur abilities there are always some unforeseen issues at junctures like that.

Definitely open to sizing up the tires at some point, but not for the present.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 pm

TinkerTailor wrote:Question: how many louver vents should I install for my space of roughly 6' X 11' X 6'?

- I found this article on campervan ventilation, hope it helps.

Question: are you planning on installing a lift assist to raise front and back walls similar to Esterel's design?

OP827
Donating Member

Postby TinkerTailor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanks, Oleg, for the article. It is helpful.

For now I'm not going to install any struts, but I may add them later.

No pics yet, but started installing the windows I made today, so I'm plunking along. Then doors and roof. We'll see - I'd like to get a ski trip in this season if possible.
TinkerTailor
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies