Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 am

norfolk is 2 hours plus to get to, with an over 17.5 mile long bay/bridge tunnel costing $17 round trip plus gas. and that is horrible traffic there.

dc and baltimore are out, would have to cross the nose bleed bridge. that and it would probably take about 5 hours to get there one way. and i don't even want to talk about the traffic at these places. out

where i live the cost of living is not bad at all. but personal property tax is a killer. i will travel about 1 hour north, into salisbury md, but thats about as far as i am willing to go. my trailer that i have for the foamie cost me about $9 a yr forever in pp tax.

those areas you mentioned are probably high cost areas, but not where i am. i am not near those places. i am on the eastern shore. that pennisular area. we are very rural here and lovin it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 am

Steve, I lived in Texas for 4 years ... never drove so much in my life ... Texas is BIG !!! Really BIG !!! :o
Only reason I moved back home was Family ,Friends, and I own substantial property here... and Cajun Food ... :D

Like Eagle , living close to large bodies of water, There’s boats (and boat trailers ) everywhere, and since Katrina , most every tradesman in town must have bought a cargo trailer ... they’re Everywhere too ... not to mention all the horse and cattle trailers in my neighborhood ... Trailers are as common as Mosquitoes around here ... and that’s saying something ... most every boat yard here has a pile of old trailers out back ... some junk, some just waiting to be “convertedâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 am

Eagle , best batten down the hatches ... looks like Nasty weather headed your way ... Just going through here... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

Just a random observation:

This massive thread started in August of 2010. It spent a little over a year as a single thread with many ideas. Now after getting it's own subforum, there are two full pages of posted topics. This thing has gotten huge! In less than two years. Our motto should be "Go Foam or Go Home!"

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 am

wagondude wrote:Just a random observation:

This massive thread started in August of 2010. It spent a little over a year as a single thread with many ideas. Now after getting it's own subforum, there are two full pages of posted topics. This thing has gotten huge! In less than two years. Our motto should be "Go Foam or Go Home!"

Bill

:thumbsup:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:13 am

i just called tractor supply. they have several 5x8's in stock. weight 500lbs. not sure if those were mess floors, or wood floors.

and they also have a 6x8 which was 700lbs. that one i believe was with wood floor.

anyway, i wll have a look-a-see, but those are pretty darn heavy. i just might have to change my thinking a bit. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:18 am

wagondude wrote:Our motto should be "Go Foam or Go Home!"

Bill

:laughter: :laughter:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Now Eagle just gotta say you hate big bridges and obviously big cities and you moved to a peninsula on the atlantic that is surrounded by all of these things......lol that is just funny no matter how you look at it.

Consider driving to get one if its cheap enough....heck you drive 7 hrs to go camping but not an hr to buy a trailer :lol:
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:49 pm

and don't forget i drove over 14 hours to get my puppy! LOL

i don't mind "normal" bridges. but that one is not "normal". it goes up, and up, and up. seriously, its way up there.
i normally don't go in past my knees in the ocean because "the" shark WILL get me. but i can't live away from it either.
yes i have a couple hang ups. :cry:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby vwbeamer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Last Christmas, I bought a puppy from a store at the mall for my step-daughter. The puppy was adorable and she truly enjoyed opening it on Christmas morning. Her eyes lit up, and for a moment, it was like I was her real dad and not just the guy sleeping with her mom. I made it clear that she was responsible for the dog's upkeep. She wholeheartedly agreed to feed, water, walk, and bathe it. Of course, that didn't last.

Now, mind you, I knew going into it that I'd most likely be the one taking care of the dog. I was okay with that. I'm not going to force responsibility on my step-daughter as though she were one of my real children. Besides, at eleven years old, how much could she reasonably handle? She barely makes her breakfast in the morning and packs her lunch, which is mostly junk food anyway. The point I'm trying to make is that she's irresponsible and can't be trusted, so I knew that I'd take over the dog duties.

When I bought the dog, they said that it would grow to be twenty to twenty-five pounds. Well, six months later, with my step-daughter completely ignoring the dog, the thing weighed almost sixty pounds. It wasn't that long legged, so it looked like a walking barrel. Pretty embarrassing to have in the yard. My step-daughter was over it, I was over it, so I wanted to return it to the mall. Well low-and-behold, the store throws this "contract" in my face which in the fine print states that they do not accept returns. That's a pretty nice setup for them, isn't it? Get to sell a faulty product and then refuse to take it back?

I had no other choice but to take it to the shelter. The first place I went said that they could only accept strays. They didn't take unwanted pets. The fat bottomed lady behind the counter got all high handed, calling me neglectful and pointing out the dog's weight problem, which I don't imagine made it feel any better about itself. So, I took it to another shelter across town and told them that I'd found the dog wandering alongside the road and I didn't want it to get hit by a car. They were incredibly nice about it and treated me like a hero, which is something I'm not accustomed to with my little brat of a step-daughter. Unfortunately, the shelter was overcrowded so they took the dog directly back for euthanasia.

There's plenty of blame to go around here - the mall pet shop, my irresponsible step-daughter (now ex-step-daughter), the animal shelter racket, but mostly I blame the dog.
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby vwbeamer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Not true^^^^^^^^....I think the author was pretty clever in making his point that we often blame others for our own short comings.
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Beamer , it’s already too late ... I alerted PETA and soon a group of naked celebrities dressed in fake fur will be arriving at your house for further investigation about the fat dog ... :R

And now on a lighter note ... "the bridge" Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm

wow, i would normally never go off on someone on these boards, but til i got to your second post i was all riled up here. i was going to let you have it.

however, the fault in that story belongs to the dad for buying that dog at the mall in the first place! if he did not buy that poor puppy and no one else did either, the puppy mills would go out of business.

no to calm down. :lol:

hey glen, that bridge doesn't look bad at all. you sure you have the right one?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 pm

You would know bettern’ me ... ;) William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Bridge depicted ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

yup thats it. it doesn't look bad in a pic. but in real life its bad.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies