Grits,more work getting done

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: OK, here goes: Grits

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 am

Don’t feel all alone Mary .... It’s sleeting here now ... :frightened: I think we’d ALL welcome a little warmer weather !!! :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Please send that nasty rainy stuff out to the West coast! We really, really need it. If we don't get some...enough...rain, we could be living amongst fire storms this summer, just like Australia was at the end of 2013. :worship: :rainy: :worship:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Sharon it is just cold. cold, cold, cold, I am sitting her getting colder and colder It is time to crawl under the electric blanket. I know you need rain, maybe you will get it soon because the weather is so messed up. you are due for it. we had more rain last year than we have had in a long time over 20 years and now it is colder than in the last 20 years, So maybe you will get rain soon. We have been hearing about all the fires in California. I hope it rains soon!!!

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Mary, they say there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.

It could be worse.... you could be in Alaska in the winter.... except of course the weather channel this morning showed a side by side of weather in Anchorage Alaska and Atlanta Georgia and Anchorage was 1 degree warmer.

As a fellow Georgian, I feel your pain. I had experimental plans today with glue and epoxy but you can't do experiments like that when it is 9 degrees. So I set up a scaled down experiment indoors.
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary C » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Yep my niece said that this winter has been colder than it was in Alaska last year. She moved to Savanna a year ago and the biggest difference is the humidity. but the temperature equals it out. Channel 2 weather update just said we will be colder than Anchorage Ha Ha Ha I told everyone it was cold!!!!!

I see you are looking around the foamies thinking about it building one?

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 am

As we found out (tested) , you can always sit in your Foamie and warm up quickly .... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 pm

The governor of the State of Ga has just declared a State of Emergency, 17 -18 degrees tonight and there are still hundreds of People still on the roads. trying to get home. Hundreds of accidents on the highways. Roads are closed and the ones asking why and laugh are not from the south try going up the hill and they slide back down and shake their heads and say they don't understand. they grew up in areas that had snows for weeks and never had these types of problems. They don't get it Black Ice, on top of Ice, and In Georgia they do not have these snowstorms often and are not going to spend what it would take to get the heaters under the roads like they have up north :lol: :lol: :lol: Some people who cannot get to their homes within two or three blocks so they are leaving their cars on the sides of the road and walking. It is after 6pm and lots of kids are still at school. At one school there are 200 kids in the gym, 120 in another school, They stopped renting cars and one man has been in traffic 6 hours and is still not home a hour drive usually. A 10 car pile up just over the line in Alabama near hereon a two lane road. This is not good. There are several other pile up and lots of single car accidents and a lot of people are running out of gas where they have been in traffic for several hours. The slush is freezing now and cars cant get up the hills. the traffic is so heavy the sand trucks cannot get to the hills to help. And the snow is still falling.............

Please know I am reporting what I heard on TV. This is really bad. lines are at the gas stations, Please know this is a very serious. Many more wrecks since I began writing this.

MC
Last edited by Mary C on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Bit Chilly down South eh !! Same thing here Mary ... tiny ice balls falling now :frightened: ... Power went out , went for my Solar lantern , and then it came back on ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby depatty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Just over the line from you, here in Alabama tis quite cold and messy too. Got about 3 inches of the white stuff here. Lotta accidents and the roads here in Calhoun county have been closed except for emergency's since early afternoon. Power is still on and so far hasn't blinked but I've got the camper ready to move into should it go off. Got the propane heater and a couple of extra tanks of fuel which should take me through a couple of days if necessary. Wouldn't put enough heat out to even think about keeping it comfortable here in the house. LOVE tiny campers! 8)

Hope everybody stays warm and safe!
Dave
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Dave please stay warm, There has been so many accidents and I know some one still in traffic. just sitting. they are trying to get everyone off to the side in the far right lane, telling everyone to cut their engines lock their car and walk. my friend helped the lady who was in heels up the road to the police and asked if they could wait in their car. they said ok. Several cars wrecked trying to get up the hill and they would not let any more even try. last I heard the policeman told them now 3, he would take them to a hotel he knows, they have no rooms but at least they will be warm and safe for the night and told them to walk to the cars about 6 blocks after 6 am. The lady in her heels said she would have to wait till they she got someone to take her she was not about to walk that far in heels. Dave, our foamies really do stay warm too. have a good one.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 pm

One of the Great Mysteries of Life .... Why do women wear shoes they can’t walk in ... ?? ... and then wear them out in a Snow storm....??? :duh: :roll: :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby depatty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 pm

But they look so GOOD!!! :?
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

Up north, most ladies who wear high-heels for work usually
wear winter-boots in the winter time and carry their high-heels
in a carry bag and then change footwear once settled in the
workplace. That's the 'experience gap' showing up I guess.

Even in other seasons, a lot will wear sneakers or flats for the
commute to work [especially if using public transportation] and
then change footwear once settled in.

I'd think that having a spare set of shoes in the car would a good
idea for any one if their work footwear isn't suitable for most conditions.
Walking is a fundamental activity, which a lot forget about.

And I can't understand why people travel, and especially fly, while
wearing flip-flops or sandals. Our 'personal bubbles' don't always
coincide with what mother nature or travel conditions heap on us.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 am

They wear flip flops to get through the security rig-a-mo-roll Good morning, the interstates are still clooged at spots. 6 tractor trailers had a pile up at a hill on Interstate 285, they could not get up the hill determined to go they slid back into a heap. the 1300 kids stayed at schools throughout the area. Do not come to the Atlanta area. The major roads still have very bad backups. They are showing lots and lots of intersections which are just stopped and clogged with Tractor Trailers which are stuck. There is 2 to 3 inches of ice on the roads. Emergency management is saying " Stay off the roads." Honestly we have not had anything like this since 1982 and this storm is twice as bad. Life is so funny my friend who spent the night in a hotel lobby got out this morning and checked out the roads in front of the hotel and decided to go back and watched a super macho guy check out and my friend went and got his hotel room as quickly as he could. He decided to stay another nite. The woman is spending the nite tonight too. This is a man who does think ahead and keeps two changes of cloths in his car and an emergency ditty bag too he is subject to being called out of town so he is ok, he said he will now keep food and water in his car for emergencies. I have food and 6 bottles water in my car now. two blankets and an extra coat and my other junk for emergencies Chains, hot hands and other stuff. I went to school one year (10 Grade) in Minot North Dakota and was told I had to take shop, where we learned how to take care of ourselves in a Blizzard and in a car, What our family's were required to take in our cars. So everyone always thinks I am junky when the weather is 64 degrees and the nite temperature 38 why keep the stuff in the car???????? I go prepared. if you live in Atlanta you know that the weather can change and the direction of storms can change. They just showed 6 -8 people out pushing a tractor trailer to clear the way so cars can get by. It worked!!!! :applause: a lot of good things happening out on the road too.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby depatty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 am

Morning Mary!

Made it through the night without having the power go off so still fine here even if I can't get out of my own driveway. :( Course even if I could (and if I wanted to put the scrape blade on the tractor and plow the drive I could) the roads in and around Anniston are mostly still closed. Heard and then saw a tractor head up the road about an hour ago. Not sure if he was heading to the store or to pull a vehicle out. Haven't heard him go back by yet so...

Going out here in a few and firing up the heater in the Vardo and seeing how long it takes to melt the snow off the top. 3 layers of 3/4 inch foam under the metal so may take a while. 8)

Y'all stay warm out there.
Dave
depatty
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies