Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:05 am

gpw...i need some paint mixing expert advise. i want to make a blood looking red. using normal everyday folk art acrylics. what colors would you suggest for the mix? i just don't think a normal red will do the trick. (i'm getting ready for halloween LOL)
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:26 am

Try adding just a touch of Brown or Purple in it ... I find regular Red just a little too bright ... just mix up some small test samples till you get what looks right .... and remember these paints usually a little darker too so that is also a consideration ... more testing ... :roll:

I can also check with our Female vocalist in the band , she’s a Costumer for the movies and just finished a Quentin Tarrentino film where there was Lots of Blood ... She would know for sure ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

ok thanks. :thumbsup:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Over on the woodworking forums we have a saying: no pics, didn't happen ... We want photos of addy! Just kidding. I have a dachshund terrier mix, more terrier ...
We also have a black & tan dachshund who also will cover up when he's cold. I think the breed does that.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 am

Not meaning to change the Pet conversations :roll: , did youze’ guys see the Hay Bale trailer in the General Discussion .... OSB , covered with Weed Fabric ... Painted on .... sounds like another Thrifty Alternative... The fabric should work fine over foam... :thinking:

Now , back to Pets ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm

I did and it was so neat. That fabric looked really sturdy.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 am

Bonnie , I used to cover my bows backs (Archery) with polyester camo netting , similar to weed cloth , and endured the most tortuous treatment , constantly being bent and stretched ... never a failure ... The weed cloth would be (IMHO) a great reinforcing underlayment under most any fabric covering , adding tremendous strength , at very little cost .... could be used as the final covering too , since it’s paintable ...
Another material I’ve used very successfully is “highway mat “ , a heavier polyester fabric for reinforcing roadways ... When I built my house , my concrete contractor made me put it under my “washout” driveway , and after 12 years now , the driveway is still in perfect shape ... even recently had a 40T crane down the driveway , to remove “that tree” . and there was no deformation , until he accidentally pulled off the driveway , and the wheels sunk 2 feet deep ... :frightened: So how strong is that ? ... nice thing a 400’ roll was ~ 400USD, and 12’ wide ... Cheap, Strong ,Wide sounds like a Thrifty Foamie material to me ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 am

no pictures yet, but to show my dumbness what's "weed cloth"?

I know I can google it but I'd rather talk with you guys.......

I too saw the hay-bale trailer neat if you like killing Bambi, can you guess I don't hunt and haven't since I was 13, thats 57 years ago.

someday I'll tell you why I quit.

edit: weed control cloth now I get it, isn't google great?

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 am

Pete, what a Great information resource huh !!! Wish we had this Years ago huh .... 8)

And now , back to Pets :roll: .... As some of you know , the other day I forced Mr. Toad back outside of the studio where he had been living inside for some time .... Past couple mornings , he’s been sitting outside the door looking like a lost puppy , so this morning I left a little crack in the screen door and it didn’t take long to hear the familiar splash ... :o He did his usual 15 minute soak and then hopped off to somewhere out of sight ... Now is it odd or not that a toad would show a preference for a living space ... inside ??? Some kind of intelligence there ... :thinking:
Attachments
Toad.jpg
Toad.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 506 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am

GPW wrote:Now is it odd or not that a toad would show a preference for a living space ... inside ??? Some kind of intelligence there ...

And not having to keep an eye out for predators - except for that one guy that comes into HIS space every morning and interrupts his ablutions...
:lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 am

i think that is too cute! :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am

I have noticed a lack of bugs in the studio lately ... :o No Threats from me , I’m an old softy’ with compassion for small animals ... Toad hugger... well, not really ... :lol: He is cute though eh ? :D
Not too fond of insects though ! I’m forever sucking up those "little brown spiders" with a regular Hoovering’... :frightened:

Really , living out in the woods is like Wild free Ken Kingdom, all manner of critters ambling around in here... :o You never know what’s next to cross the floor or crawl up the wall ... Saw a bug the other day with the front half of a Beetle and the rear of a grasshopper , and it hopped around ... Looked harmless , just a little STRANGE !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 am

Dr Moreau ?...

I have a sideline installing electric fences in boathouses because we have too much wildlife !
The otters get in and make a mess of everything and their 'leavings' destroy any kind of fabric.
The deer eat our veggies, the coyotes eat our pets, and the bears and raccoons eat everything that isn't locked up.

Still...I would never, ever trade that for life in the city again.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:02 am

As they say here “ True Dat !!!! “ Nature is wonderful , civilization is dangerous... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Fishingtomatoseeds (2+2 High Modified thread) has an issue with plywood checking under his paint job.

I suggested that he scuff the paint and apply canvas as a reinforcement "patch", if you will. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45933&p=965144#p964981

He has a question about the finished canvas job and texture (pliability). Help me reel in another canvas convert, will ya'? :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies