Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Aligator944 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 pm

My top 2 WDW tips:

1. Stay at one of the Value Reports during the free dining period.
2. Stay at least 5 days, if not 10. The way they do the park passes it only costs a few dollars a day to go to the parks after the first 5 days.

I know this in not a Disney forum, but we have been I think 14 times in the past 16 years and go the thrifty route every time!
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:12 am

Still haven’t heard back from the HF rep about the trailer he told me they’d get for me ... :roll: So much for customer service ... :thumbdown:
Once I get this (if ) I can finish up the Foamie and start on the Foamstream ... Until then the little Foamie cabin sits in the studio awaiting it’s wheels ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 am

Aligator944 wrote:My top 2 WDW tips:

1. Stay at one of the Value Reports during the free dining period.
2. Stay at least 5 days, if not 10. The way they do the park passes it only costs a few dollars a day to go to the parks after the first 5 days.

I know this in not a Disney forum, but we have been I think 14 times in the past 16 years and go the thrifty route every time!

so i take it now, that i am not the only disney freak here? :lol:
i stay at the values also, rotate around the 4. with military discount just can't beat it. military tickets are another thrifty way.
free dining would be good, however, you must buy a 2 day base ticket for each member staying in the room. that never works out cheaper for me. in the last 4 yrs i have been 5 times, plus a disney cruise, and now this trip next week.
i am going to be on the look out for the mickey head string lights. i want them so bad for my foamie. might have to take a ride over to the fort and check out there store. might find some disney camping stuff.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby chartle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am

eaglesdare wrote:
Aligator944 wrote:i am going to be on the look out for the mickey head string lights. i want them so bad for my foamie. might have to take a ride over to the fort and check out there store. might find some disney camping stuff.

For the string lights you should of course go to the Christmas Store at DTD(Downtown Disney).

As for Disney Camping stuff at FW, have you been there in a while? On the Disney board, that I spend way too much time on, there were grumblings a few years back on the lack of resort specific merchandise even for FW.

Every so often there is a post that Disney heard their cries and the stuff will be back. I hadn't heard anything so I just posted an inquiry on the board, I'll let you know.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 am

I went to Epcot .. once ... Impressive , but not in my budget ... Only stayed the morning ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 pm

i have never been to the fort. would like to one day, but i just can't justify the cost for that campground.

we are planning on dtd next sunday, so i will check out the shops there. i did forget about the lack of resort specific items. i was just thinking that a disney camp store might have disney camping related items.

but i will see what dtd has. hmm, never know what else i might find that will work for camping.

gpw, its not cheap to go to disney, especially paying full prices. but being thrifty one must check out the discounts. i have stayed at the value resort hotels for $50 bucks a night, and using the military discount tickets, isn't too bad at all (not for what you get). and mind you, this has to be your thing. their are those that are disney freaks, and make that a priority, and then there are those that make camping there priority or foamies, or what have you.
my hubby is not a disney freak by any means, he could care less if he ever goes again. he is just happy to get away period.

sorry for going off topic like we did, but we are discussing in part camping and accessories. its just where i am going to look for them. :lol:

i did decide not to take the foamie to a friends house though while we are gone. i am just telling the kids we are going to a cabin, for adults only. 8)
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby chartle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:01 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i have never been to the fort. would like to one day, but i just can't justify the cost for that campground.

we are planning on dtd next sunday, so i will check out the shops there. i did forget about the lack of resort specific items. i was just thinking that a disney camp store might have disney camping related items.

but i will see what dtd has. hmm, never know what else i might find that will work for camping.

I asked over at my Disney Forum and someone responded that they may have seen some camp chairs. But if you have never seen the campground and you have some extra time while at the MK you should take the direct boat over and check it out.

As for what you can get for camping at DTD I would say your best bet is cooking stuff.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:14 am

Sounds like a Disney themed Foamie is in the works ... 8) but where do we put “the Earsâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:44 am

Yea if you put them above the doors on sides it would really add to the wind resistance. :D
Last edited by chartle on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby Anita Rae » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:12 am

Something that I wanted to bring up a long time ago and didn't. Has anyone thought of vinyl windows in the foamies? We use them alot here in Fl and I made some to enclose my back porch so I could turn my animals loose out there. The ones that I made stood up to the huricanes of 04 and they are still there after all these years. Also we used to have an old Ford Bronco with a rag top and the vinyl was used as windows. That could be super thrifty and very lite. I'm not going to do it on the Fairydiddle but I thought someone might be able to use it.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:44 am

have you not seen my doors on the foamie? mickey heads are the shape of my windows. :lol:

just got to change the color paint from that maroonish color to a mickey red color.

my avatar also shows mickey and minnie sitting on the wheel thingie there.

anita i am not sure what those are. do you have a pic of them?

also i am having trouble with the computer again. so if you don't hear from me you will know why. i am going to take it to the local guy and see if it is a really bad thing, or something simple. if bad, i will return it, still under warranty.

and my older dog died sometime in the night. hubby buried him for me. gotta go before i cry.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:36 am

Eagle , as the Irish say " Sorry for your troubles "... :(
GPW
Gold Donating Member

RE: Condolences

Postby mezmo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi Louella/eaglesdare,

Sorry to hear of your dogs passing. It's especially hard when you find
them in the morning - we had that unhappy experience too last year
with our little female Cocker Spaniel, Darby, and then this year we had to
have our male Cocker, Dugan, put down due to incurable cancer. They both
were really good dogs. They are missed - pets become more than just mere
animals. They help you appreciate God's creations more.

Our Sympathies,
Norm/mezmo
Last edited by mezmo on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:05 am

My long time Vet told us we take TOO Good a care of our pets , and they live to be so Old they develop all these geriatric diseases ... But they live a long good life ,so who could want any more eh ? But we still miss them ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:08 am

More hugs, Eagle. Furkids give us so much during their short lives.

Hug the others just a little harder today!

Luv,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies