Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54 am

i got the feeling he was referring to over time, for the delamination and such. i haven't had any problems, but who knows what might happen next year or the year after.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am

I frankly can’t see it happening ... Not after this summer’s “Bakingâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:11 am

Let me explain some reasons why I stated what I did about long term issues.

I read all over this place for nine months primarily studying the weight reduction and how the sandwich core method works and has its strength. We have 2 factors here to consider for the outside as well as inside strengths. Adhesion and stiffness are what makes the sandwich strong so if you don't balance those things you trade off and add to the shell strength and shorten the life of the overall bond or take away from the shell strength and lengthen the life of the bond.

Mike found that certain paints provided much better adhesion for the canvas to the foam which is a great thing but if he doesn't follow that with strengthening the chelle (pun) lol then he makes the shell more subsceptible to failure under stress (towing or hitting something being the main factors).

The glue shell is harder and thus provides the shell strength but is greatly lacking in the adhesion department. TB3 dries very hard and is much better rated than TB2 is why I suggested using it and it isn't really that much more when you think of long term aspects of the life of the camper. I literally build one and plan for it to last 40 yrs if properly cared for. I can walk on the roof of the one in the picture above and it has 3/4" sandwich walls and 1 1/2" sandwich roof using the 30NF and TB3 as the only glues.

Tensile strength and shear strength provide your success with the sandwich construction which is what the foamie really is with just very little wood or other substance added for stiffening the walls.

The microcamper above is 1400 pounds and strong as a tank pretty much and with a 3500 lb axle can be loaded for "bear" lol (see I have read all this). Its hard to get people not on this forum and building these things to understand how good a deal I have at the 7k price with all the options included when all my competitors are 10k and up for the same things in a teardrop package.

You guys get the feeling when I walk out and look at the camper and go man that is bad ass and I built it.......my hats off to all you builders this stuff is fun huh and I get to do it for a living lol ;)
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:03 pm

XXX, For my guitar making , I’ve switched over to the T3 and I like it a lot !!! :thumbsup: No reason Not to use it on our Foamies .... better and all !!!
Your camper does look "Heck for Stout" , and there’s no doubt it’s a Quality product ... :thumbsup: 8) ;) I do appreciate your Professional suggestions and will try to implement them into further trailer considerations .. :thumbsup:

He’s right ya’ know ... the better the glue , the better the whole trailer ... :thumbsup: Sometimes Thrifty must take a back seat to something Long lasting ... Thrifty in the long run down the road ... :thinking:

Interested to know how that contact cement works “wetâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Well I have endeavored to add to my portfolio now building and selling insulated air conditioned/heated dog houses so I'll be using these techniques to build a light strong dog kennel very soon so I'll let you know how this goes for sure.

I've even thought of all kinds of uses for this construction due to its ease to do and then ease to repair and maintain.....how about shower surrounds.....if you have done showers you know the pita it is with doing correct moisture barriers and then transistioning over to tile or fiberglass....well this would just do away with all of it and be a quick shower build indeed.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Linux person

How much beer it will haul? That is the real test.

8)

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Wolf, True Dat!!! ;)

XXX, Here’s another .... I got every Hunter in the area wanting hunting blinds built like this ... :o Light , Dry, Warm ...  Sounds good to me ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Okay, so how much wood would be enough? I don't plan to stand on the top of my trailer's pop top. Some bracing is needed, but how much? If the foam is providing the strength via the sock, what then?

Confused and bewilder, am I.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Linux person

8)

Randy
The non foam one will haul 2000 lbs of beer which is plenty for all of us to party on huh ;)
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:53 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Linux person

8)

Randy
The non foam one will haul 2000 lbs of beer which is plenty for all of us to party on huh ;)

You haven't seen a good old University of Idaho kegger.

But I am willing to try

Randy

( burp )
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:13 am

I'll bring real beer from texas only available in texas ziegenbock and it will be enough lol plus we have minimum 5% beer here.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:26 am

NOw we are talkin

Hey, i just noticed you are in Round Rock. The home of the Beast.

Dell made me a redundant person 2 years ago when I was 59 yo. now I feel lucky if I make 30% of what I did before. Not even counting the benefits.

Oh well

:lol: :lol:

( going away whisting "Look on the Sunny Side of Life " )

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 am

They redundenated me 2 yrs ago too hence why I'm building campers and never returning to corporate indentureship ever again.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 am

Glad you where able to get something going. I was never to good at turning lemons into lemon aide.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

So you were at the twin falls call center huh? Bet closing that pissed the area off vastly. Company ran by a bunch of idiots believe me I was around them all the time. I'm struggling but I enjoy building these things a lot.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies