Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby atahoekid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 am

GPW,

Congratulations! That looks great!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just paint the frame black, take it for a shakedown trip and she's ready to sell. You wouldn't really sell her without at least getting a couple nights in there... Would You? Thanks for being the catalyst for the rest of us. Your "out of the box" thinking (I hate that phrase) really pushed this thread along and convinced a lot of us to take the leap along with you and eagle. By the way, I doubt that you are the slowest builder on this forum. I'm not making much progress because life keeps getting in the way and it's about to get a lot slower. I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery next Thursday, so after this weekend it will be a couple of months at least, before I make any progress at all. I'm still planning on it being ready for some spring camping but it may be a crunch.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 am

no i never would have thought this would turn into what it has. i am a quiet person really and until this thread i very rarely posted anywhere. i think i started posting on page 9 of the thread. i felt like this was a place i could post and not get blasted. although i think in the beginning you had to hold you tongue with me :lol:

i am so glad you started it and finished your foamie! :thumbsup:

now about the beer, bears and dogs...... :lol: i still think we needed and still do need a place for the chatty stuff (off topic things). so i stand by what i have already posted. while it may be hard to read thru this to a newbie, if anyone has a question, please ask and someone will answer. i feel like some of us have become like a vitual family and sometimes we just want to share our real life with that family. so post away, until mike says differently, it stands as it is. 8)

now about that foamie....last night the wind was so bad, it blew a shed over and i think may have destroyed the shed. but the foamie still stands! i was afraid to look after seeing the shed. the wind was worse than irene's winds. i was worried going to sleep last night beause it sounded like my roof was going to blow off. i would not have been shocked at all if the foamie had been blown away last night. but there she is and hopefully there she stays! :thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 am

atahoekid wrote:GPW,

Congratulations! That looks great!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just paint the frame black, take it for a shakedown trip and she's ready to sell. You wouldn't really sell her without at least getting a couple nights in there... Would You? Thanks for being the catalyst for the rest of us. Your "out of the box" thinking (I hate that phrase) really pushed this thread along and convinced a lot of us to take the leap along with you and eagle. By the way, I doubt that you are the slowest builder on this forum. I'm not making much progress because life keeps getting in the way and it's about to get a lot slower. I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery next Thursday, so after this weekend it will be a couple of months at least, before I make any progress at all. I'm still planning on it being ready for some spring camping but it may be a crunch.

i hope things work out well with the surgery, and i'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a very speedy recovery.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 am

Guys, Ladies, interested parties/participants ... I really do Appreciate (Big THANKS!!!) all the Help, Advice, and Understanding in getting this project to it’s conclusion ... What once may have been deemed a “fatuousâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 am

Eagle , now that you know the Foamie is windproof , you’ll Have to cross “That Bridgeâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I contacted henry's and childers directly and found out there is no local henry's distributor. There is a childers distributor relatively close by though, for which they provided the number. I contacted them and learned they can order the chil-seal for $16 something a gallon and it is also available in 2 gal and 5 gal containers. I'm back in business :twisted: I'll let you know how it works.
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah I got an answer from childers for local sources in austin but haven't tried henrys yet which actually on paper looks like a better product. I'll see if there's a source around this area for it.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

GPW wrote.... might need it too , been chilly here ... Got my blanket , may have to bring the dog ....

chilly? try 23 thats chilly headed to 17 tonight no cloud cover today means cold temp tonight...

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Rosey , Good that you found it !!!! :thumbsup:

Pete ... OK, chilly for we “tropicalâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

GPW wrote:
Here’s a pic ... others in the Album ... Getting close now .... Looks much better with the right trailer huh ...
:thumbsup: 8) :D

Did you paint the frame camo yet?

;)

Looking good!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Hey GPW does that HF have the fenders bolted on? If so and you plan to keep this or use it a lot of miles, go to http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-403-nw128690.aspx and get the 13" wheels and then wally world has some douglas 50k mile radials for around 40 each and you will never find yourself stranded with a blown tire like those 12" jobs will definitely do on you. If you have the 4 hole wheels http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-396-c113440ws.aspx and a lot of hardcore small trailer outfits are saying go to a normal car radial and ditch the trailer tires because of poor quality and short life. I was going down the road and had a serious vibration and stopped and a good 5" or 6" of tread was completely gone and less than a yr and about 1600 miles on the tires was all. Luckily I had a spare already and when I got home before I rolled again I looked at the other tire and it already had a quarter size piece missing. Hence the first prototype we built I trashed the 12s and went to 13s right away and it has rolled about 2k miles plus already and not a single issue with the tires. I asked about the bolting so you can easily alter the fender mounting to fit the larger wheels/tires.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Hey GPW does that HF have the fenders bolted on? If so and you plan to keep this or use it a lot of miles, go to http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-403-nw128690.aspx and get the 13" wheels and then wally world has some douglas 50k mile radials for around 40 each and you will never find yourself stranded with a blown tire like those 12" jobs will definitely do on you.

I don't think that's an option. GPW won't be able to open his door!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm

mikeschn wrote:
linuxmanxxx wrote:Hey GPW does that HF have the fenders bolted on? If so and you plan to keep this or use it a lot of miles, go to http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-403-nw128690.aspx and get the 13" wheels and then wally world has some douglas 50k mile radials for around 40 each and you will never find yourself stranded with a blown tire like those 12" jobs will definitely do on you.

I don't think that's an option. GPW won't be able to open his door!!!

Mike...
Yeah I forgot about that lol but he has a flatter fender and is raising it with 2x4 so maybe he'd have enough. Hey foam glues and cuts real easy he can move that door lol.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Mike , I haven’t camo’d the trailer yet ... I really believe it’s the wife’s intention for me to sell this one ... :o It’s just a wee bit small for Big me and skinny her ... and the dumb Dog ... :oops: So for now it stays Red ...

In the event I can keep this one , I would paint the trailer and re-do the rims/tires to larger as suggested by XXX ... And I could cut out a little rectangle out of the bottom of the door and fix that to the door frame , recover, paint ... then I could open the door ... This 30â€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am

GPW - Good! Ya got the materials, now follow Larry TCG's admonition
and 'Git 'R Done'!

atahoekid - Good luck with the surgery and following rehab, maybe you
can use the forced time off to refine any details that may need a
little tweak or so.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.