Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:56 am

now i am going to have that song stuck in my head!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:14 am

Just another one of those free spirited road songs we love to play over and over ...
Dang , Now I’m stuck on “ I’m an old cow hand ...“ :o :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 am

GPW wrote:Eagle, the title said 262lb. shipping weight .... Guess the cardboard wasn’t much .. less the extra hardware left over, and the caster wheel thingies' left off... Guessing (again :o ) ... what , 250 lb ... ??? I got the 1195 lb. trailer ... which BTW on the title says GVW 1450lb. so HF is underrating them ... Guess that’s good for Safety ...

probably subtracting the weight of the trailer, since not everyone will know to do that, so a 1450 rated spring/axle set can carry that much, but including trailer weight.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 am

That's one sweet trailer find a purpose and fill that purpose.........

dag nab it GPW and the music go on and on and on .............old stoggies I found.....
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 am

SJ, Good to know that !!! makes sense really huh ? Thanks !!! :thumbsup:

Pete ... yeah , now me too .. :lol: Catchy tune eh ? 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 am

Ya’ know, I was just thinking :o Since the little one is almost complete... I do have that other trailer that isn’t big enough for a FoamStream , yet could be a usable foundation for yet another Foamie build ... :thinking:

Here we go again !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am

Just an idea ... :thinking:

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

houston, i think we have a problem :(

just took a peek at the foamie and it has bubbles on it. some are rather large bubbles. so i am thinking the weather is doing something do the foam/canvas and its seperating.

so gpw, how do i fix that?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:17 pm

eaglesdare wrote:houston, i think we have a problem :(

just took a peek at the foamie and it has bubbles on it. some are rather large bubbles. so i am thinking the weather is doing something do the foam/canvas and its seperating.

so gpw, how do i fix that?
So this is what everyone has been talking about that tb2 or tb3 will not laminate cloth to foam and it has taken cold weather to start showing the cracks in the foundation. I'd get something like the lagging compound talked about recently and inject it into the bubbles and see what that does for fixing the problem.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Has anybody been able to procure some lagging compound?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Eagle , Pics please .... are the bubbles over a void in the foam ??? Mine is showing No bubbles ... as of yet ...
Simple enough to fix ... drill a small hole in the center of the bubble , inject some GG in (syringe) and tape over the hole ... you might put a board on top so it dries flat ... too much GG and it will become a permanent solid bubble ... Just a part of Foamie repair ... Nothing to get excited about and sell the farm ... :roll:

Just think if the plywood skin had delaminated, as happens on the wooden ones ... Now That’s a PROBLEM ... :o

xxx, let’s not jump to conclusions ... this is the first reported incident , and may have been due to something else ... :thinking:

Wolf , I think Rosey found some ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I'd say split one of the larger ones and see what is happening. If it is the cloth delaminating from the foam it is a problem and will continue to happen in the long run especially since she's already alluding to multiple bubbles at this time. If it's the paint bubbling and deaminating from the glue surface its a whole other story as the paint definitely should adhere to the glue surface and not bubble. This probably also goes back to all of Mike's different adhesion tests he did and he found the best adhesion was using the paint to bond the cloth to the foam and not the glue. Why I was hinting previously that 6 months of success is no way to state this is proven that it works. I totally think the foamie route is viable just not using wood glue to adhere the canvas/cloth to the foam but rather an actual glue or the lagging compound which is advertised to glue canvas to foam and do it rather well.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:17 pm

thanks for the suggestions.

i was thinking of that gg method. several bubbles. not sure what the cause is. i know when i put the glue on, i was not frugul, i slapped and smeared that stuff good. then the canvas, and then diluted tb. i made sure of the coverage.
could my cinch straps be causing this? too much squeezing?
i will snap some pics tomorrow.

i'm not complaining, though, this camper served me well this season, very well.

i am either going to try a quick fix like suggested, or perhaps try and peel it all off come spring-ish time. and redue for the next season, or with that quick fix and another layer of canvas. not sure.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:22 pm

yes several bubbles. i have not checked out the entire camper yet. it is covered, but i saw the front of it because the covering was coming off.
it is the canvas coming off the foam, not the paint coming off the glue/canvas.

technically, its still usable. but not so pretty, of course, i never thought it was pretty.

i am not going to worry about it now. no funds and too cold to work on it. so after the tax refund comes back in, i will decide what i am going to do.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:28 pm

maybe that is what i need to do, peel off the canvas altogether. then paint it and apply new canvas.

but will that paint stay wet long enough to apply a large piece of canvas?

i'm taking in all the suggestions, but will have to think about what i will do.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies