Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 pm

"neither rain nor snow " .... you make more trips than the Post Office ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol: That’s Cool !!! 8) 8) 8)

Eagle, I’ll have to share my secrets of "cardboard box engineering" one day ... from there the sky’s the limit ... and not even that ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Ok eagle you don't need any engineering skills....go over to the construction tips and read that from one end to the other and you will have every answer you ever needed about building a camper and then just do it......don't agonize over why or how just trust what is said and do it and it will turn out alright......the more you build the better you get.....I had enormous improvements from build 1 to buld2 and know it will just keep getting better as I go because its just learning not engineering like you've already learned with your doors and trying to fix them......I'm going to now build dog houses and pickup campers out of foam due to a lot of what I've read here and well I did read the construction thread from one end to the other over many months and that is very much in play as well with the campers I've built and everything in the future that I will build.

So do you dare to fly like an eagle miss eagle or you gonna squat in a nest and let someone else build your next one? Its foam and very easy to change if you don't like how its going just rip apart and do it again.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

RE: Odyssey Inspired Build From Norway

Postby mezmo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Louella/eaglesdare,

There's a forum member from Norway, Leaded, who is building a version
of the Odyssey - or one along the same lines - to go along with the car he
built [very neat!] It'll be great to see his results once he finishes.

Check it out here:

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

It is very doable, and your build skills will arise to meet the occasion!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rosey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Bad news from Airgas....they no longer carry Chill-Seal :( Looking for a new supplier. I'll keep you informed.
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Rosey

I emailed the rep for my area asking where I can get my fix, eeeer, Chil Seal

Where to get Foster Products

See how long it takes to get a reply

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:01 pm

That canoe article also mentioned Bakor 120 09, though did not have a picture of the container like the Chil Seal so we have been chasing the chil seel

Other stuff

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:That canoe article also mentioned Bakor 120 09, though did not have a picture of the container like the Chil Seal so we have been chasing the chil seel

Other stuff

Randy
The henrys 120-09 is the only one out of all of them that has an outside rating although the other would work no problem being painted or coated with something else. Foster the parent company of the other has foster branded lagging fireproofing compound as well but I can't find anywhere listing this stuff for sale.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Yeah, I couldn't find it for sale anyplace either. Know anyone in the HVAC biz?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:32 pm

I could buy it directly from foster because I have a sales tax id in texas as well as EIN from the infernal revenue service just matters if they'd try to stick me with buying a minimum amount or not.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I might call around tomorrow. Though there probably not any large HVAC outfits close to me. This stuff is probably mostly used in large buildings and such.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:I might call around tomorrow. Though there probably not any large HVAC outfits close to me. This stuff is probably mostly used in large buildings and such.

Randy
Besides air conditioning it is used to wrap and insulate pipes on ships canvas wrapped around foam over pipe hence the coast guard ratings showing on some of it.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm in the South Idaho Desert, no ships close to me. Of course the first nuclear submarine was built and stayed at the Idaho National Laboratory about 80 miles from me. They did some crazy things there.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 am

A submarine in the desert ??? :o Just another fine example of government planning ... :roll:

That’s disappointing about the glue/coating ... :( I was hoping you guys found the “miracle foamie glue “ ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:04 am

BTW , last night at band practice , I had the guys help me install the cabin on the HF trailer ... and it fit ... well almost ... the floor fits the frame just fine , but the door won’t open (expected ) ... but not by very much ... about an inch ... :oops: The drummer suggested just blocking it up slightly , then everything would be OK , without shifting the cabin forward ... Anybody ever tried that ...??? Thinking it would be sorta’ like a floor frame ??? Schmaybe’ just some boards underneath the cross members (2“X4â€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:43 am

not to change the subject, but. the ship in the desert reminds me of when we were stationed in tenn. no one believed we had a navy base in the middle of tennessee. some people asked us if we were in charge of the paddle boats in the mississippi. LOL
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies