Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Just for Fun …. again ! https://youtu.be/ZiejAhol4Ps
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 am

Hello, my name is Jim, and I'm a Foamaholic ... :beer:

Group: "Hello, Jim!" :wine:

It all started long ago on a laptop far, far away ... about six weeks ago in my time-space continuum, but on Saturday, August 14th, 2010, at 7:42 AM, in yours. Far, far away would be East of Glacier National Park in Big Sky Country, where air conditioning usually means you face it backwards in your window to pump the heat indoors!

I just finished reading from Page One to Page Four Hundred Sixty Six, and I sincerely hope that this won't bump the page count to Four Hundred Sixty Seven! :shock: As some have noted, this isn't a thread, it's more of a Homeric Epic replete with a cast of real characters, a twisted plot so complex that an index had to be created (or is it the characters who are twisted?), and settings that span at least North America, and occasionally into The Great Beyond. I'm not sure whether it's an epic like those of Homer of Odyssey and Illiad fame, or those of the yellow Simpson of Springfield infamy.

There were many trials and tribulations suffered by Our Heroes, and I do recall there being The Bridge of No Return, which, early in my life I watched the second span being built from my humid, cold, and hot stone prison at MIT on the Severn (yes, I share the career status after a nautical life lived by Louella and He Who Must Obey). Poor Mary suffered at the hands of hooligans and criminals, Glen has a yard where trailers sprout spontaneously from the lawn (or whatever swamp plant life emanates from there), and Louella has a cute Foamsketeer teardrop trailer (TDT, in my three-letter acronym (TLA) abbreviated parlance). I could go on, but you already know that Louella never did try to steam out her Foamie's warts, Randy is still working out in the heat and cold of Idaho in lieu of his former shop (I'd love to come visit before the snow gets too deep - it is August, after all!), and many others are enjoying towing their Foamies, building them, or dreaming of Those Yet To Be :worship:

Since no one else has provided a reward to those most intrepid to dare read the entire Big Foamie Thread, I've taken it upon myself, in good Navy and Silicon Valley startup engineering (my second career) fashion, to create my own, to wit:Image
If anyone else wants one, let me know what to put in for the name.

I'm not new to building trailers, having fabricated about half-a-dozen of them for aircraft I've built, but they were all woodies. I've been very aware of the concept of lightweight yet incredibly strong sheathed foam panels for years, such as structural insulated panels (SIPs - a friend is having a house built using them in a remote mountainside location to which it's difficult to get heavy equipment), aircraft monocoque and composite construction, boat hull (and increasingly, masts and booms) fabrication, etc.

Soooooo, what do I have planned, you may ask? Well, a few people who apparently ferret through the posts by new members discovered my insane plan to build a 4 x 4 x 8 (H x W x L) very basic 2-inch foam based shell on a Harbor Freight 1720-pound trailer ... in a month so I could use it at AirVenture Oshkosh. I'd done some planning and acquired my trailer kit, but right before I could start building, I was informed by the local school district adminiweenie In-DUH-viduals that the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) classes I'd started teaching this past year (my third career, now in its fifth year) would no longer be offered as of the coming Fall semester because they were too hard for most of the students :o :shock: That meant that, instead of completing my build and driving it to and from Oshkosh, I had to spend that time looking for another district that would appreciate my effort to help reverse the trend where our students are continuing to fall double-digit places behind even under-developed countries in STEM subjects proficiency.

While my schedule was blown to Smithereens (a small town in Kansas, BTW, but I couldn't find my schedule there :thumbdown: ), I was able to keep thinking about how to build what I've known I want for years. Many here have probably heard of the Safari Condo Alto series of large commercially-built TDTs, and I'm planning on building something similar, but with some extreme twists. First, mine (which I've at least temporarily named the Corto - Alto means "tall", while Corto means "short" in Spanish) will be modular at the floor, wall, and roof panel level. That means that the panels can be towed strapped to the trailer and very quickly assembled into a TDT shell in various configurations - think of an Erector Set (now you know I'm An Ancient One) or LEGO concept of snap-together components :thinking:

My panels will be made with Polywall non-fiberglass reinforced plastic (NRP) cut sheets secured on internal, external, and edge faces of two-inch thick, 4 x 8 foot expanded polystyrene (XPS - blue Dow, in my case) foam sheets. Yes, I know that Polywall isn't UV-resistant, but the exteriors of my panels will only be exposed to UV for less than a few days a year, in toto, as I plan to shield them in an insulated tarp when strapped to the trailer and under a canopy when assembled in camps. I haven't settled on what will be used to secure the sheets to the foam panels, but Glidden Gripper, Great Stuff, or an adhesive that doesn't require evaporation to set are being evaluated through research of others' tests as well as some testing of my own.

I had originally planned on bolting the panels together, where bolts would pass through the thin dimension of panel edges, and then be threaded through the edges of panels into tee nuts set into thin, stiff, plywood or plastic sheet segments embedded into slots cut depth-wise in foam sheets. However, I'm now considering a much faster means of panel attachment using adjustable-pressure latches that would be placed on the inner and outer surfaces of panels. Initially, I may just assemble six panels in Glen's Basic Box configuration to allow early use and testing before I expend a lot of time cutting curves, kerfs, etc. Using that simplest assembly method would maximize enclosed volume and make for easy on-site setup :thumbsup: :applause:

Although it's now overtaken by events (OBE), you can see my early thoughts about the Corto at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=68753, which includes using additional panels to expand the Corto to upwards of a 6 x 8 x 16 foot (H x W x L) TDT shell on a base frame that would allow assembly over the HF trailer's wheel wells.

If you haven't already fallen asleep before now, you might have noticed that my verbose flag is set, and that's because I'm cursed by being not only an engineer by education and practice, but also a software developer, so I can type around 200 wpm without errors after slinging code for over four decades. If you don't enjoy long posts, I highly encourage you to settle into reading sessions with an adequately tall, cool beverage of your choice - if you don't make it through the posts, at least you'll have soothed your frazzled nerves before nodding off! I also try to be humorous, but as is the case with professional comedians, I bomb much more than I come up with truly witty repartee :roll: :thinking:

In any case, I hope you enjoy the ridiculosity of my ideas as sources of mirth, if not admire them for their engineering beauty and possibly even ingenuity (Your Mileage _Will_ Vary!). Thanks for all of the inspiration I've absorbed in the pages en route here (especially all of the build pages) and if the old-timers don't have much to say these days, rest assured that I'll step up to fill the gap with my babble-ridden ramblings until someone "gets the hook" to yank me off the soapbox :x :thumbdown: :worship: :beer: :wine:

All the Best,
Jim 8)
Last edited by jim_manley on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:08 am

Jim, Cool !!! Be sure to send Pictures … 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 am

:applause: Love the award!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to you and all the blabbing you can give out. :lol:

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:43 am

GPW wrote:Jim, Cool !!! Be sure to send Pictures … 8)

You Betcha! I will have to demur from holding a camera in one had when I have a power saw in the other, however!

eaglesdare wrote: :applause: Love the award!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to you and all the blabbing you can give out. :lol:
:wine:

Thanks Louella - my parents retired to Fenwick Island, DE, within spitting distance of Ocean City, MD, at the top of Assawoman Bay on the back side of the barrier beach on the Atlantic. So, I'm very familiar with US-13 all the way across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel on the way to Norfolk, Dam Neck, Little Creek, Oceana, etc., where I was stayioned at various times, among many other ports o' call around the planet. I had a 16-foot Hobie Cat on a trailer and when I towed it across the CBB-T, the mechanical system created would flex at the hitch ball in resonance with the slight dip in the middle of each bridge span - perfect for being lulled to sleep ... especially while stupidly driving alone, 24 hours non-stop from Pensacola to my parents' place!

Speaking of Pensacola, I made a number of sojourns to your Big Easy, Glen. Ah, life on the Gulf Coast - I sailed that boat off damn near every beach along its shores. In my advancing years, I've had to avoid the Sun due to rampant cancer that runs on my Mom's side of the family and that took her all too soon at 56.
Anyway, I'm very glad to have discovered more family members here! :D

Foam, foam on the range, where the deer and the antelope play ... where seldom is heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day ... except when the storms dump torrents of rain, hail, snow, sleet, freezing rain ... well, you get the idea ... :oops: :NC :cry: :? :thumbdown:
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 am

JM, my Dermatologist told me to never go in the Sun again …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm

GPW wrote:JM, my Dermatologist told me to never go in the Sun again …

Well, Glen, you know what the North Korean astronauts plan to do on their upcoming top secret mission to land on the Sun ... they'll go at night ... or during the upcoming total solar eclipse! I just hope that they send Kim Jong Duhhhhh along with the rest of the "eeleets" there :thumbdown: :twisted: :R

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jim_manley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 am

For anyone who Gives a Hoot (and Don't Pollute! :thumbsup:), here's My Build Thread:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69057

As a hint to where I'm headed, here's a quickie Sketchup of where I'm starting:

Enjoy, but bring your reading glasses, and glasses (plural) of your favorite imbibement - I'm explaining things so newbies can understand what I'm trying to do. It's just polite to do that so that they can share in understanding the ridiculosity that is my stream of unconsciousness ideas and build process. Explaining jokes takes all the fun out of them, but if you're wandering in here not knowing why sending your assistant to go get a left-handed monkey wrench is funny, providing some hints have to be helpful.

If there isn't a TNTTT Glossary, maybe I'll build one in my Copious Spare Time when I'm not otherwise teaching, volunteering at my Makerspace and Raspberry Jam events, sleeping, eating, building, etc. Better yet, maybe I can convince some of my students to do my bidding as part of My Master Plan for Foamie World Dominance ... MWOO-HA-HA-HAAAA!!! :thinking: :twisted: :thumbsup: :applause:

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am

“ they'll go at night “ … That’s Brilliant eh :thumbsup:
“ as part of My Master Plan for Foamie World Dominance ... MWOO-HA-HA-HAAAA!!! “ Yes, we can see you’ve read the Big Thread … 8)

Nice Drawing , looks BIG … Big is Good ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:48 am

Here's what the teardrop versions of the 8x8x16 foot (HxWxL) "Fatty" and the sportier, lower-profile, much more aerodynamic "Heat-Sleeker" 6x8x16 foot versions of the Corto look like, carved out of the 8x8x16 foot "Boxer" prototype.

I really like how the Heat-Sleeker profile looks! At nearly six feet high inside at the peak with the roof down, and its gradually-increasing slope fastback, the Heat-Sleeker would provide over seven feet of headroom along over half of the shell length with the roof rotated up, ala the Alto.

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 am

That’s going to be a BIG Camper … Big for around here anyway … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 am

Well, this was inevitable ... newbies now need to read 467 pages of posts to this ridonculous thread! :?

GPW wrote:That’s going to be a BIG Camper … Big for around here anyway … :thumbsup:

Hi Glen! "Yeah, boyyy!" As they say somewhere that cool people congregate where I would stand out like a sore appendage! :oops:

Your wish is my command ... and this has been part of my plan from the beginning. Below is a cutaway view, with the right wall removed, of the Mod-U-Foam concept for the roof of the Corto Heat-Sleeker variant. Two-foot-wide left and right slide-outs could be fabricated, allowing the width of the shell to be expanded from four to up to eight feet after arrival on-site. I didn't show the detail (yet :twisted: ) for how the deck and support subframe (attached to the HF trailer) could also be extended to ensure proper road handling at highway speeds. Also, recall that the side and roof panels could be made up of modular sections that are held together with hinges and/or positively-locking adjustable-pressure latches, allowing the length and height of the shell to also be adjusted in size, all the way down to 4 x 4 x 8 feet (H x W x L).

Plenty of room to expand to welcome the friends and relatives of poor, dearly-departed, little Mr. Toad to visit 8) :lol: :thumbsup: :applause: Enjoy!

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 am

NICE !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jim_manley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 am

From Ye Olde Builde Journal (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69057&p=1212406#p1212406), here's a quickie drawing that I feel really captures what I want the Corto to ultimately be and, while it won't be simple to build, what TD is, once you start cutting curved pieces? :?:

As Shakespeare said, "To dream, perchance to sleep", or words to a more iambic pentameterish rhythm :applause:

jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 am

Looks wonderful! And a late congrats for making it through the entire thread... it's a bit of a slog, but a fun one, and I love your self-awarded certificate. :-)

Those roof-raised designs that end up with essentially two full-length, modern-shaped windows have always looked so gorgeous to me, and I'm excited to see how it turns out in foam, executed by someone who has the skills and experience to pull it off in a home build without the tens of thousands of dollar price tag that those fetch in the wild... good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies