Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:57 am

GPW, if the bolts are galvanized they will never come off. The zinc galls up in the threads and makes it nearly impossible to turn. If you are lucky a good sized wrench will break the bolt. If not cut the buggers off.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 am

i had been thinking about something, but always forgot to mention it here. after gpw's find of the led lights with a magnet i will mention it.

i was thinking that around the door (or anywhere that you might want it) put a magnet sheet on top of the foam before covering with canvas.

now i am not sure if that would work. would tb2 get rid of the magnets power? or would the magnet still work?

i was thinking about this because i was considering hanging things from the outside the the foamie. like hanging a banner or a mickey cut out. it seems like a simple addition.
and since i am not done with my inside yet, i am thinking about doing that on walls inside. would be easy to stick magnets on the back of anything i might want to hang.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 am

Eagle , I dunno’ about those sheet magnets , they’re usually pretty weak and covered over , even weaker ... You can test this with magnets on the ice box door ...
I did however have a simple attachment point idea whilst browsing through my sewing kit ... :o Empty thread spools epoxied into the foam, then covered over, would be really easy and heavy enough for hanging light items ... inside or out ... banners, lights, small awnings , antennas , solar panels , on and on ... Might be good to sand the flare off the end to be inserted .. On the outside all you’d see is a tiny hole ... Just a thought , and really EASY ..

Funny you should mention magnets ... my little CT is all Steel and "magnet heaven" ... they stick Anywhere, and Everywhere... :o

Wolf , I don’t think the bolts are galvanized , they’re just in too bad a shape for that ... :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:42 am

yeah i was thinking that they are weak normally. but i can cut out sections of my foam from the inside out and put a good magnet inside that.

since i don't have any "hard" points in mine. the only thing i have would be my spars.

i like the idea that i could put something up and take it down.

just some ideas i am thinking about while waiting for the weather to get nicer and the money tree to grow more green stuff.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 am

eaglesdare wrote:yeah i was thinking that they are weak normally. but i can cut out sections of my foam from the inside out and put a good magnet inside that.

since i don't have any "hard" points in mine. the only thing i have would be my spars.

i like the idea that i could put something up and take it down.

just some ideas i am thinking about while waiting for the weather to get nicer and the money tree to grow more green stuff.

Wait! That's a GREAT idea! There are magnets (not the cheapo sheet ones) that are very strong that you can use. Insert in foam and you have a strong magnet to hang stuff. Neo magnets are the strongest (http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets ... 815&sr=8-4).

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 am

OMGosh, Eagle, now you've done it. I'm thinking of the possibilities now with magnets.

My outer skin on the RT teardrop is aluminum so nothing sticks. I can glue (or use that strong sticky stuff people use to mount heavy stuff on) a colored magnet strip to hang my banner. That's the neatest idea yet. I'm thinking of other things I can hang now!!

A lantern hanger? (probably too ambitious). Potholders or cups over the grill shelf? A small shelf to hold matches, tea, salt and pepper and paper towels over the grill shelf? (I have a patrick hinge that a 24x18" piece of wood attaches to the side of the camper over the fender).

Thanks for the great ideas! Throw some more out.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:32 pm

you are too funny patricia. :lol: but glad you liked it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Ratkity wrote:[SNIP]

Wait! That's a GREAT idea! There are magnets (not the cheapo sheet ones) that are very strong that you can use.[SNIP]

Hugs,
Ratkity

Being thrifty (or "cheap," as my family and friends call me), I've salvaged the magnets from hard drives from the odd dead computer. Those magnets, whilst ugly as all get out, will hold a small dog (as long as the dog stays fairly still ;-)...

Our attic fan needs covering every winter and I imbedded one of these drive magnets at each corner of my 1 1/2" foam cover (bed sheet covered, adhered with mis-mixed paint from the big blue box and finally coated with ultra white primer). Holds on like an unwanted house guest.

The magnets needed to be wired into and through the foam because they were too strong and wanted to pull the fabric free when I took it down for summer!

A thin plate of sheet metal, well adhered, covered and painted will be more than sufficient to hold the stronger magnets from the outside. Think of one of those magnetic CB antennas. The thickness of the adhesive and covering fabric will not significant diminish the magnetic force with these stronger magnets (magnetic force diminishes at a rate of the square of distance).

I'd suggest foregoing imbedding the magnets in the foam proper because they will want to take the covering fabric with them when you pull whatever it is you've stuck over them. :)

Regardless, this is an interesting twist on the foam creations...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 pm

thanks for the warning.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Next , we’ll be “Magnetizing “ the children .. :o :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 am

You could keep really good care of them, just hang them up on the side of the TD or even the tow vehicle. :lol:
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 am

OK, here’s a totally Ridiculously Thrifty idea ... Paper !!! :o
As a covering ... :roll:

Here they make “parade floatsâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member