Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Most common Blue or Pink foam is about 2 lb/ cu ft density , beadboard is commonly about 1lb/cu ft , but comes in much higher densities , providing similar strength and density as the Extruded foam ... and it’s lots cheaper ...
I still think the canvas is a superior covering , but the Paper would work applied thick enough , and especially as Bonnie said alternating the strips .... Paper has a grain ... easy to tear in one direction , not in the other .... much like wood , which it’s made from ... canvas, wood , paper , it’s basically all the same material , cellulose ... so you can see why this would work ... ;)
I once made a 20’ tall waterfall out of paper mache for a Luau , took a couple days to make it and a couple days to dry ... worked so well after the Luau it was difficult to deconstruct , that after having water pouring over it all night .. And we didn’t use any exotic glue to make it , just Elmers , with a polyurethane varnish over the whole thing after it was painted to look like rocks with common house paint ... Tough stuff if you do it right !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm

I've been here for a little while like since July. I still do not have the money to get started but in reading this forum, I AM GETTING REALLY EXCITED! Foam and paper machet made into interesting shapes, I am really getting pumped! I've sort of been thinking about making a fairing for my motorcycle, maybe saddle bags at this point. Pretty much anything a person could think of.
I wonder if you could form the foam with a heat gun or a light fluffy torch? [keeping a fire extinguisher handy of course]
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Frank , after seeing what they do here with PM , it really makes most anything possible ... :thinking:
And surprisingly many of the PM floats and sculptures are many years old ... just dragged out every year for the parades ... During the off season , they keep them in big warehouses, "barns “ ... Check out Mardi Gras World ... http://www.mardigrasworld.com/photo-gallery
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am

And while we’re on about the PM thing , just like to mention the glue (T2) can be highly thinned for this purpose ... (thrifty) The thicker the glue you use , the more solids in the surface , the harder it is to sand level for those who want a very smooth finish .... Thin to win !!! :thumbsup:

I guess next we’ll be covering trailers with Pasta ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

off topic: i just go home from driving over 14 hours round trip to pick up a new collie puppy! his name is simbas pride of hope. of course we'll just call him simba. (lion king, disney :lol: )

will post pics as soon as i find my camera and cord.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby tartosuc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

eaglesdare wrote:off topic: i just go home from driving over 14 hours round trip to pick up a new collie puppy! his name is simbas pride of hope. of course we'll just call him simba. (lion king, disney :lol: )

will post pics as soon as i find my camera and cord.

they are the best dogs..we have a 2 years old border collie name Balfa!
tartosuc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Cngrats on your puppy!
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm

thank you both! hopefully he will be a great companion for camping with, since i do a lot of solo trips.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm

A Puppy !!! We LOVE puppies !!! :D Collies are very Loyal and Protective ... Smart too !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 pm

My boss has a border collie. We have been thinking about getting her a little crash helmet as he keeps driving his pickup into things. The pickup is going into the body shop again Monday.

:lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Congrats, Louella!!!! Collie puppies are so cute...of course, don't tell Sunny Day I said that :shock:

Pictures of Simba, please!!!

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 am

Back to Foamies ... :roll: Looking for beadboard , found this http://www.dockbuilders.com/polystyrene-bead-board.htm Which has blocks 3’X4’X16’ ... :o
So it’s out there pretty much as big as we’d need anyway ... Still doing more searching for the best prices ...
I do think we need to do some adhesion testing on beadboard because it might be superior to the more non-pourous extruded foams... You can see on this site , it does come in the same density as the extruded foam ... so the strength should be relatively the same ... read the spec sheet ... interesting facts ...

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 am

ok ok gpw, i will get back on topic in january! :lol: that is when i should have money to spend on this foamie or the next one.

thanks verna. she is a handful right now. all that puppy collie energy. well i found the camera and the cord, but the batteries are dead. sometime today i will buy some more.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:59 am

Speaking of saving money (and being GREEN) ... here’s a place that sells recycled (used) foam (s) .. I’m guessing they’re pretty INEXPENSIVE ... http://www.insulationdepot.com/ 8)

Puppy Pics Please !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:14 am

GPW wrote:Speaking of saving money (and being GREEN) ... here’s a place that sells recycled (used) foam (s) .. I’m guessing they’re pretty INEXPENSIVE ... http://www.insulationdepot.com/ 8)

Puppy Pics Please !!! ;)

Anybody interested in splitting a semi load of XEPS?

:lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies