Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby rjgimp » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:40 pm

PiperBob wrote:I read the whole thing :M If there's ever a Foamie meetup someone should put that on a shirt.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

WOOHOOO!!! Congratulations and welcome to the asylum.

PiperBob wrote:Way back (maybe page 50?) in the "bear proofing" discussion someone mentioned Kevlar fabric. I have a piece that's about 25 feet by 53 inches. In the 2nd Gulf War they made the vests locally and this is a remnant I bought from a mill for maybe $1 a yard. I had been planning on skinning a popup roof with it, but we've gotten rid of the popup. Maybe that would be the caviar of pmf 8) But I don't know how to cut it. The guy at the mill suggested buying a pair of cheap scissors and then throwing them away.

Could you use a straight razor?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:03 am

“Bear proofing" … Not likely with Foam … maybe STEEL … maybe ??? That’s like trying to make something "Kid proof" … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby PiperBob » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:40 am

rjgimp wrote:
PiperBob wrote:Way back (maybe page 50?) in the "bear proofing" discussion someone mentioned Kevlar fabric. I have a piece that's about 25 feet by 53 inches. In the 2nd Gulf War they made the vests locally and this is a remnant I bought from a mill for maybe $1 a yard. I had been planning on skinning a popup roof with it, but we've gotten rid of the popup. Maybe that would be the caviar of pmf 8) But I don't know how to cut it. The guy at the mill suggested buying a pair of cheap scissors and then throwing them away.

Could you use a straight razor?

I was thinking maybe a utility knife. So far I haven't had a need to find a way.
PiperBob
Teardrop Inspector

Postby takoeller » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 pm

OK, I haven’t been here for awhile, my old hang out. :thumbsup: I always wanted to experiment with this Foamie thing. Has anyone tried landscaping fabric as a cheaper alternative to canvas, or is polypropylene too hard to bond to?
takoeller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:37 am

As a cheaper alternative to canvas , There’s always bedsheets , jute bags , old blankets , Old T-shirts , blue jeans , POLYESTER garden fabric , Basically anything that you can find enough of , except polypropylene which is Tough to glue with our usual adhesives .. And then a good canvas is not really that expensive considering it can last a long time … ( 6 years and counting with my canvas covered trailer , and that’s living Outside in the weather … !!! )

As our leader has spoken … “ The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten “ :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 am

On the Kevlar question. That was an interesting question and had to look it up. I get very curious at times!

<The guy at the mill suggested buying a pair of cheap scissors and then throwing them away.>
In a sewing forum they talk about re-sharpen the scissors to a lesser angle. They spoke of that's the difference in the expensive shears sold to cut kevlar.
Another spoke of using a manual rotary cutter. That I use on most fabric (including the 10oz canvas).

Think I'd try a utility knife first. Not much I can't cut with that and a straight edge.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out please.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:17 am

IMHO, Kevlar wasn’t That hard to cut with a good pair of SHARP scissors , and then we had some “Spectra" cloth that was ridiculously hard to cut with anything but a HOT knife … That would make a pretty bullet proof skin , but it could get very Pricy … :o

And having lots of old scissors arounds here , we’ll try sharpening them to a lower angle so they’re more “shears “ … Great idea … Thanks !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:45 am

Where are all the Foamies … ??? We’re all done for the winter and stored away till Spring . :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:58 am

Hey Everybody !!! Have a Great Holiday Season !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Merry Christmas!
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:47 am

-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:13 am

Dear Folks ,
It’s a New Year , with new challenges to look forward to . One of which is getting ready for the emerging Camping Season . :o
It may be Cold and inhospitable now , but the season will soon be upon us , and if we do a little bit at a time now , we can painlessly be ready for Spring . That last minute rushing around for gear always leaves me with something “I forgot” .. :duh:
Make your list … things to do , and get … ( more Thrifty too since you have time to shop around for best price or salvage … ;) )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:11 am

One thing that really is IMPORTANT over time now is the use of Drip Edges on your trailer !!! ( I can’t say this enough ) If you have ANY kind of moisture from the morning dew to gully washers , Drip edges do work and do keep water off the underside of your trailer ... No dampness , no chance of rot … Simple enough to do … THRIFTY ( especially in the long run ) , and Very Effective ... 8)

And dear folks , did you know Facebook will not allow me to post this site address … :o Since this is such an inventive and innovative site I’m always mentioning the Forum there , but have had to resort to writing “ dot com” at the end … :R Just so you know !!! I see a few small trailer folks there … here’s my page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009558437222 Just Fyi …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby theoldwizard1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm

New guy and I don't want to slog through hundreds of page on just this thread.

Seeing as PPG Gripper is NOT Glidden Gripper, is there a consensus on what to use to adhere canvas to foam ?
theoldwizard1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 pm

No, in fact very few structured experimenters have yet risen to the challenge.

If you decide to join in, do please report results back here.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies