Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 am

Yup, I was at the Twin office. I started when they opened it and I shut it down. I spent the last 5 or so years in Servers. And this little area had so many techs running around we are worth about a dime a dozen. And i with a house mortgage, and other things could not move even if I wanted.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 am

Yeah I started in server support in 99 and was there in various depts for 5 yrs and then did a travelling job for 12 months and then the last 4 I spent project managing san updates and hated being out of tech and they didn't do anything to get me back over that direction either. I was one of their linux prodigies but my butt sucking skills are very lacking so management thinks real talent is a dime a dozen and only care about their little cubicle staying intact which I'm sure you are well aware of :?
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 am

D#$@ straight

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 am

They never did seem to like to give us good tools to use, real training or experience. They just liked to roll out new logging tools, each new one worse than the one before and spend plenty of money on posters trying to convince us how good the crap is. At least we got laid off before we had to sell stuff. And explain why a used hard drive costs more than a brand new one of the exact same model ( no lie )

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:14 am

Did you meet john grajeda when he went up there and helped get you guys up and running? Big huge guy like 6'8" and shaved head.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:25 am

I kind of remember him. I think he interviewed me when I went to the dark side ( servers ) There was two, one of them had to step out when they gave a little quiz. He came back in the room and looked at the results "I see he got the hard one right".

:lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:29 am

He spent a month up there I think back in like 03 or 04ish he was with me on the travelling team he was a hoot. He moved back to el paso and got a degree in physical therapy and is looking to become an RN now and move back this way. None of the people I used to work with even keep up with me anymore as they don't wanna feel sad about my misfortunes heaped on from their employer lol
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:35 am

That is the time frame I went to the dark side so I did meet him. I am not one to easily remember names and all.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 am

bonnie, i am with you. we had discussed this at some point way back about being able to stand on the foamie. i remember saying something that i am pretty sure i could stand on mine, but i never plan to, so why bother. to me that is sort of like asking what happens when you take a hammer to it.

i like linux campers, but they are still way too heavy for me.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:01 am

Twas nothing but a monetary panic, I suppose. I will build my little pop top. I have been working out which areas to use wood in. Was actually thinking about that PVC stuff. With so little wood needed, I could go rot proof and maybe not have to worry about it.

Still planning and dreaming.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:54 am

Its not about standing on a panel. It can be a roof or a wall it does not matter. If there is insufficient strength to a force applied the panel will fail. When a double semi truck passes by on the highway a lot of force is exerted from the vacuum created. I had a friend in high school whos parents had a commercially produced trailer they were towing on the highway and just such a thing happened. A semi passed and the rush of air blew their trailer apart. I saw the photo in a paper clipping they showed me. All their stuff strewn on the highway for a 1/4 mile.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:54 am

Actually I think I could stand on top of mine ... just not in the middle ... no jumping up and down , no dancing !!! :moom walk:

PVC bracing ?? Hmmm???
They do make a square tubing in PVC... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Getting ready to go feast, but the pvc I'm talking about it the woodlike rot proof stuff they sell for outside trim. Partiularly considering it for the windows and doors.

:)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:12 am

"woodlike rot proof stuff “ ... That sounds like it would be perfect !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Its good but usually heavy is the downfall of it. Both of the big box stores carry the line of trim that is plastic and in white and many of the panelling colors as well but I'm not sure how durable it would be outside in the elements. UV is very unkind to some plastics.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies