Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 am

http://www.activeforever.com/p-20910-foster-5-gallon-pail-white-fire-resistive-lagging-adhesive.aspx Here's a 5 gallon bucket of the same type stuff at the actual order site Randy posted for like 74 bucks. This one is approved by the coast guard interesting.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:04 pm

I did not notice the different grades. Good catch there Linux person. I guess I lucked out and got the better one.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:35 pm

I contacted the local Airgas (on Tchoupitoulas) and they did not have it in stock, but were able to order it for me. The marine grade is also available, which is what I ordered. Here is the link for it http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDet ... 30CP50AHV2
It is too cold for me to want to be working on the boat all day outside today anyway. This should be in by my next days off on Weds. and Thursday next week.
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Information from the 5 gallon Foster variety that is even sold at airgas as well as the site Randy posted. Like the fact they actually have more information for its usage and properties.

FOSTER FIRE RESISTIVE LAGGING ADHESIVE AND COATING is a quick-setting water-based adhesive and coating used indoors to adhere and size canvas, glass cloth or other lagging fabric over pipe and duct insulation. It is also used to attach woven glass fiber tape to the joints of hard fibrous glass insulation board. This product is designed for marine and industrial use, and may be top-coated with solvent-based paints. FIRE RESISTIVE LAGGING ADHESIVE AND COATING when applied to the longitudinal and butt laps of lagging fabrics provides strong adhesion to hold the lagging in place. An application of a coat of Fire Resistive Lagging Adhesive provides resistance to fire, water, vermin, oil and grease. FIRE RESISTIVE LAGGING ADHESIVE AND COATING 81- 42 contains no asbestos, lead, mercury, or mercury compounds. FIRE RESISTIVE LAGGING ADHESIVE AND COATING 81- 42 is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard under 164.012.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Bonnie

You can mount your circular saw upside down in some plywood to make a table saw of sorts. Clamp a board to it to make a fence.

But don't sue me. I ain't got any money

:lol: :lol:

Randy

As a safety guy, I really gotta strongly advise against use a circular saw in that fashion. A really dangerous act. It always sounds like a good idea till you lose a finger, then you'll beat yourself up for knowing better but doing it anyway. If you need to make precision cuts with the circular saw try clamping a straight edge to the board and use that as a guide for the saw. I built a whole set of kitchen cabinets that way. The only thing I tend to use a table saw for is for objects that are too small for the circular saw or for repetitive cuts. I beg you please do not use power tools for a purpose other than the one they're designed for. :worship: :worship:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

RE: Lagging Compound

Postby mezmo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 am

The lagging compound glue/coating seems really interesting and promising.

Did anyone else see any info on whether it is UV safe/protected? Or would it
need a paint or other coating for UV protection? I didn't see anything
addressing UV resistance etc., when I looked through the various links for
suppliers, but I may have over-read or missed the information re UV.

Again, a 'new-to-us' discovery we need to rely on fellow Foamlings testing/
experimenting with in it's application/viability for our build needs.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:13 am

I did not worry about the UV of the lagging compound as I imagine it will end up being some rather uninspired color and plan on painting it. If I do use it on a trailer would probably paint the top white, and the sides on which way the whim blows that day.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 am

From its nature and the properties and information it has no uv protection but that is actually irrelevant because it is meant to be covered with something else. Paint it or coat it with TB3 and or epoxy would give uv protection on the outside where it matters. That is what is extra in outside latex paint vs inside latex paint or if you use any oil based or water based enamels then they are uv protected as well.

The purpose and beauty of using this stuff would be its adhesion factors as well as the transition away from the foam surface to exteriors that if placed directly on the foam either wouldn't stick or actually eat up the foam. Also its thick and would be very good for bringing a smooth finish to the canvas surface providing a much more finished look to the camper.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:57 am

Guess the first thing will be an adhesion Test !!! Here’s hoping this stuff works as Good as claimed ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:57 am

atahoekid wrote:"]Bonnie
I beg you please do not use power tools for a purpose other than the one they're designed for. :worship: :worship:

No begging required. That's why Wolfe didin't want sued. 8)

I actually learned how to use power tools and weld in Vocational Agriculture many, many, many moons ago. Wouldn't try welding now, either. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:19 am

Guys , I painted the black nasty stuff on the bottom (Thick coat) ... any idea how long I should let this dry before putting any pressure on it ..??? Don’t want to leave the little Foamie on it’s side for too long ... just looks funny ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:24 am

I use the black jack brand from lowes that is thin enough to roll on and it goes on grey and dries black so as soon as its black its time to bolt it all down. Its definitely the one I would recommend to use on here as its easier to apply and drying time is pretty quick and it was only like 45 for 5 gallons and its half gone on 2 campers now.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 am

Oh Crap.

Just got email from the place I ordered the lagging compound from. Says it is no longer available and they canceled the order and refunding my funding.

Will try Airgas, going to drive right by them later today.

In reading the description on the Airgas site

CHIL-SEAL® CP-50A MV1 ( stuff not needed edited out ) does not attach plastic foams or other adhesives.

Does not "Attach Plastic Foams"???? probably a typo and should say, does not attack foams.

Now there is stuff labeled with the ending of MV1 and stuff with HV1

I'm so confused

:?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:21 am

Airgas

HV2 stuff

MV1 stuff

There are the links

On that canoe site the picture they have is of the MV1. If that is what they are using will probably work on TDs if that is all that is now available.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:37 am

Look at the foster's brand in 5 gallon which would be enough to completely do everything. Airgas has it listed on their site as well.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies