Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:32 pm

eaglesdare wrote:[SNIP]if i have to i will close and lock the thread. i don't want mike to get involved with this type of thing.[SNIP]

Please don't close the thread. I've been having a hoot reading and learning.

I simply plan on building the best I can build with the least amount of effort and money. As has been discussed on more than one occasion, some of us have significantly more time than money, thus the "Thrifty" part of the name...

Steve, please build the camper of your dreams. I suspect you'll get nothing but encouragement from this forum.

I, for one, would love to follow your build thread as I've much to learn. We're all coming at this from a jillion different directions and as with most effective think tanks, the subject-at-the-moment seldom remains static.

As always, my (implied-if-not-declared) disclaimer is: Just my personal opinion.

Wayne
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Tiredoldwhiteman wrote:Please don't close the thread. I've been having a hoot reading and learning.

Wayne
I don't think anyone wants the thread locked and closed but my suggestion was to rename this thread to "The Foamy Lounge" and then take all the pertinent information and move to other threads or place a sticky with links to the information somewhere in the foamy subtopic listings.

I meant this as a future help to anyone that would want to come and study and perhaps build a foamy in the future because the more stays in this thread makes it more daunting a task to find what is really relevant to building a camper. This was last time I looked 228 pages in a little over a yr crazy big and getting bigger. We really shouldn't make reading the thread a task that is longer than actually building a camper now should we?

If this is too big a task and too time consuming for eagle, add more moderators that can help move the information around and understand how forums/threads/bb's work. I'm from tech so this is all relatively simple requests and ideas and theories to me but to someone not tech kinda like someone without construction skills building a camper, daunting and scary and mostly just confusing.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:16 pm

[quote="GPW"]Pete ... The “test of timeâ€
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

oh i think the hotwire stuff is a great idea, but i want someone else to build it first. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

RE: Big Thread Info Transfers

Postby mezmo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 am

Doing as I say:

Jan 18, 2012 @ 3:20am post

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 831#902831

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 am

Mike-
I know I'm late in replying to this but if you need the CAD files for this trailer let me know. I'd love to see someone build one of these...

And I do agree the canvas defeats the purpose of having the foamie "insulation factor". You could build fold down sections in place of the canvas. The down side is sealing all of the seams and having no leaks...

Jess

mikeschn wrote:Hey Glenn, and all...

Could something like this be done in a foamie style?

Mike...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am

the taxes were accepted. i started my search for a new trailer. hubby asked me what i was doing and i told him. so now he knows that this is on the list. :)

now don't laugh, but i am looking for one that has those short sides, and the back carry on ramp.

my idea is to use the ramp as my porch (so to speak). put some indoor/outdoor carpet on it, have it proped up with jacks. not sure the shape yet, by my door will be in the back, access from porch.

and the reason i want those short sides, is maybe to help with my fears. i am also thinking about the built in cinch strap around the camper.

anyways, those are my thoughts at the moment. might have to take a trip down to tractor supply and see whats out in the parking lot.

alrighty, so who's up to devour the french toast casserole this morning?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

"french toast casseroleâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 am

Now there's a woman on a mission. ;) We are overcast and in the 30s today. Windy though. Brrrr.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

if i can find a 6 wide, then i might not have to build over the sides. i don't want anything wider than my car, however, i do believe that 6 is going to be wider. i can tolerate that 1 foot however.
i was also thinking of a slide out from the sides of the back, on the sides of the back door. like in the pic above(the lift up sketch). you see how the stove is a slide out. was thinking something like that, but in the back, for my kitchen stuff. haven't figured anything out yet. just starting my thought process.
the bed/couch idea is coming to be also. full couch in the front, wall to wall. then maybe a u shape on sides? for a fold down table inside? bed/couch raised, so there is storage underneath, which should be easy access to with the open space in the middle. does any of that makes sense? i know what i am starting to form in my head, just not sure if its coming out in type though.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 am

You know I couldn’t help but make a drawing ... :roll: Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

:lol: i was counting on it.

thats about what i have in mind. i am not sure about the height. i think that idea we had before about having plenty of room with the 4 foot will do. but with a raised bed/couch, there is plenty of sitting upright room.

ok, now that another idea/build is starting, i am not going to keep all this talk here. when a build actually starts, i will create a new build thread.

until any further notice is given, the threads will stay as they are. if you want to start a new topic, please do so and we will run with that. sorry if this is not want some want.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 am

ok glen, where you have the coffee pot, that counter could be a drawer, or slide out. perfect! :thumbsup: below that could just be a cabinet that holds my other stuff.
i travel pretty light, so that amount of space would work well for me.

i hate waiting. i am not a patient person. next friday i should have the money. so i will either start driving around to check out what we have locally or wait til saturday. but if i do see something i like, i will beable to just tow it home. i really am looking forward to this.

you know it was a year ago that i was in the same boat. waiting for that money to order my trailer.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am

Eagle , this drawing did it for me ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 am

We’ve seen a lot of these trailers around, mostly used by gardeners/landscapers ... some pretty BIG ... seems they come in all sizes and prices ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies