Foam TD (build journal)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby pat g » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Eagle,

I have some foam weather strip laying around and plan to use that as a seal. I may also make a T moulding for the outside with a piece of aluminum I bar that I have laying around. That would provide a double seal to the door. For a latch I plan to use a garage door handle. Just have to figure out how to make the latch portion inside.

SYOTR
Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 am

:thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 7:15 am

Sealing the door ... That's always the question ... :thinking: Gotta' keep the water out ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Latest news. I wedded the cabin to the trailer today. Hung the door and trimmed it out.

SYOTR
Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby pat g » Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 pm

The extra space around the cabin will be decked in wood plank to be used as a shelf while camping. I also plan to add some planking on the tongue to carry a cooler or a box for wet paddling gear. I also have an idea for a fold up canopy. The wood planking would be a great place to attach the poles for the canopy. An added bonus of having the cabin inboard of the trailer frame is that the foam body is protected. :thumbsup:

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat May 21, 2011 5:41 am

Pat, that looks really Great !!! I see your trailer is wide like mine , and we'll both have that situation ... :thumbsup: Any ideas on the weight yet ... it must be pretty light ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Sat May 21, 2011 12:39 pm

GPW

I am going to guess at the weight being a little heavier than eagles. Hers came in at #500. I'll guess at mine being #600 due to the heavier trailer and the lauan interior plus a little wood here and there. I think that my floor structure is a bit lighter than hers. I'd like to find a place to get the trailer weighed for free. Costs $15 at the stone place nearby. I put the cabin on the trailer by myself lifting one end and rolling the trailer under as I went. Other end was on my floor jack. The cabin cannot be that heavy because, at times, I was holding up the end with one hand and rolling the trailer with the other.

I'll have pics later of the wood I used to trim out the trailer. Only cost me $12 for treated fence boards. Should last a while and be light weight. After they dry a bit, I'll paint the boards. I am going out now to work on the trailer lights and the door latch and seals.

Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat May 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Sure looks SUPER !!! 8) 8) 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Pat,

That looks really good.

Did you use any wood reinforcement above the door?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby pat g » Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Mike,

There is an oak frame around the door opening then canvassed over. The oak frame was glued in.

Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby pat g » Sat May 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey All,

I worked on decking out the extra width of the trailer frame and tongue. I figure the tongue will be a good place to put my cooler. The tongue platform can also serve as a place to cook.

I added the door handle. A garage door handle worked pretty well. I have to finish re-installing the lights. I did not like their original position so I made some new brackets tonight and will re-position them tomorrow.

Here are a few pics.

New tires next week then hope to get it out for a maiden voyage. I plan to camp in it this Summer, with the interior unfinished, then decide just what I want inside so progress will slow down for a while.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun May 22, 2011 5:48 am

Love those running boards ... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Latest pics with lights wired. Ready for tires and grease the bearings. Should be road ready then.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 22, 2011 7:38 pm

pat that really looks great. you are doing a fantastic job. i am not sure what your weather gets like, but if it gets warm to hot, please plan now on a/c!

i just could not believe how hot it got last night in there. that will be what i will be working on next.

can't wait to hear about your first trip though, i hope it works out for you like it has for me so far. :)
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Build's looking good, Pat. A thought occurred to me while reading your thread:

Given that you want to use the tongue for a cooler and you have the space along the sides, have you thought about combining your 'running boards' and external fenders with a spot for the spare ?

It would take a much more artistic eye than mine to make it look good, but there might be some cool styling cues there.
I'm thinking loosely along the lines of these:

Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies