I got the first panel cut out and onto the table downstairs - the filler is curing as we speak. The last of it started to kick off in the tub (what can I say, I haven't epoxied in a while
) so I ought to be able to sand it after dinner and hopefully get the first coat of glass on the outside.
I started today by adding more struts to the form to hold the back wall. I cut the panel vertically first so I could line up the pads to span the gap, which gives me a fixed plane to hang the panel on after it's glassed. I'll mate it back into the hole, then cut out the next panel and repeat the process till I get all the way around. The roof will be last.
The cutout panel showing the standoffs:
I gusseted them because they have to extend 24" from a 3/4" edge, unlike the rest of them that are short.
The removed panel, the same width as a piece of cloth:
Weapons of choice:
Hindsight being what it is, I could have used two triangular panels with beveled edges to form this area. It seems obvious now, but I just couldn't visualize it at the time. I closed off most of it by gluing in foam, then filled the big gaps with canned foam, shaped it , then applied up some filler. I'm using microballoons to thicken the epoxy because they are lightweight and easily sanded. I waited until it was hard enough that I could just dent it with a fingernail, then went at it with a cheese grater (Surform plane). This allows you to know down the high spots quickly and reduce the amount of sanding that would be needed if you let it cure fully (less sanding is ALWAYS a good thing as far as I'm concerned !!)
I'll leave that one a while to get good and hard before I sand that area to its final shape since I have my work cut out for me for the next little while anyway.