Simulated Wood Pattern

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Simulated Wood Pattern

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:05 pm

I want to build my next tear as a foamy. I need it to be light weight. I like the idea of canvas, but I really would like the sides to look wooden or rather, have the wood pattern. Does anyone have an idea of how to paint a simulated wood pattern? ...or perhaps if I found some material that had a wood (not wooden plank) pattern, like a piece stained pine plywood I could use that on top of the canvas for the sides.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 pm

You could just bond 1/8'' ply to the outside. Or you could use those cedar planks for lining closets. They are thin and light. If you were woried about the bond breaking, you could route some groves in the foam and bond in some carefully placed 1x1 cleats for a few mechanical fasteners.

None of those ideas have been proven, but something you could try. I'm sure there will be more ideas to follow.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks WagonDude. I had considered your first suggestion, but thought that fabric with a wood print would be lighter.

After having search the net and coming up empty except for some that was about $50/yard, I may have to reconsider the 1/4 wood idea though.

:cry:
Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

another option, cover and finish the cloth as a normal foamie. Paint a light beige to get a base color. Then use some gel stain and a graining tool to fake some woodgrain on the cloth covering.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:06 pm

wagondude wrote:another option, cover and finish the cloth as a normal foamie. Paint a light beige to get a base color. Then use some gel stain and a graining tool to fake some woodgrain on the cloth covering.

Bill

Hot dog! That might just be the ticket! :D

I'm making my way to YouTube to see if they have any faux wood grain painting videos!

I'd have to practice on a test piece first.

Thanks a bunch.

Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:33 am

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:34 am

Or go to Ebay and search for "Wood grain fabric" there are several venders that sell it. We bought some for the inside of ours.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby squatch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 am

Back when I was a stagehand we used to fake wood grain all the time. Like above use a light colored base paint and "dry brush) on the wood grain. If you have an artist eye this often turns out well. But won't fool anyone up close. The trick with dry brushing is to barely touch a DRY brush into the darker paint. Then lighty drag it over the light colored surface. Just the tips touching. The occasin flick of the wrist with the brush in the air for spots ect. It takes practice and obviously some folks have a much better eye for this than others. But it can be done to look well. Different paint colors blended and then top coat with some clear.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks guys. Those were some fantastic tips. I viewed the video at YouTube...can it really be that easy!

I visited the e-bay and yes, there are some fantastic fabric options there. The seller who was selling the wood grain fabric also had many good nature patterns as well.

Now, I just need to firm up my plan...and get to work :lol:.

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 pm

A little practice helps ... I once wood grained my refrigerator ... similar method , but with lacquer.. Looked Cool !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies