Was Foam Conestoga Now Stick Built Vardo

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Was Foam Conestoga Now Stick Built Vardo

Postby depatty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Hit the 70 degree mark about noon or a little after. North most side of the roof is still holding with the same amount of snow so insulation is doing it's job. 8) Got a few more pictures but haven't gotten them off the camera yet and not really anything much to see other than the temp and a better shot of the heater.
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:59 pm

We know the warmer weather will be much appreciated !!! Even if it rains ... it won’t be Solid rain ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby depatty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Have made some changes to the vardo since I last posted pictures so thought I would add a few of how it looks now.

Front of Vardo showing new roof and added storage area on tongue. Metal roof that I had on it originally was just too much weight high up for the width of the axle and strength of the springs. Even after taking the metal roof off had to change springs as the overbuilt body of the camper was too heavy for the ones that came on the trailer. Used some mobile home springs and they are working out well. I'm not happy with the canvas on the roof though. Didn't bond to the billboard plastic I have under it. Planning on tearing everything off down to the foam, filling any holes and cracks and redoing it right later this summer. :oops:

Bit closer view of the doghouse storage.

Inside view showing awning pole and chair storage.

Had a tree limb cut a slit in the canvas a couple of years ago while I was backing into a camping spot. Put TB2 under the canvas and then another coat (or 3) of paint on and tis almost invisible.

Inside back left side showing the AC, closet, and potty.

Inside back right side showing assorted storage, fridge, and microwave. Coleman stove is used outside. Water container rides next to the fridge.

Bed with slats pulled part of the way out but futon still in daytime couch position. Put the bed at this height so that it would fit with the queen size futon. Any lower and it would have been too short for me (6'2").

Daytime mode.

Since it sits so far off the floor we need a step so use an old wooden crate for a step. Underbed storage is filled with tables and displays that we use at events we sell at.

Table pulled out about half way. It has a leg that folds down for support. The leather on the end is to keep fingers from getting mashed in the hinge when the leg comes down. Any yes, without the leather it REALLY mashes fingers. :shock:

Outside table comes off and rides inside. Supported with the cable so no leg is required.

Folding step. Again used cable to support it, though when we set up the adjustable support is used for safety as the 1x6 bows just a bit with my weight.

Step in travel position. Door can't come open going down the road with it locked in place.

Better view of the locking mech. Just a slide latch.

And finally our Home is where we park it sign that a friend of ours made us.

Got a few thousand miles on it now and it still tows like pulling a brick through the air but we like it. I keep thinking about tearing the front wall out and rebuilding it to reduce the weight and wind profile, but until seeing a post Glen made the other day at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67965&start=60#p1208386 I couldn't figure out how to do it. Now I've just got to get in gear and get started. :twisted: Thanks Glen! :beer: :thumbsup:
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 am

WOW!!! Super Job Dave !!! You have it all well sorted … 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies