FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby John61CT » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 am

But management has stated opposed to the idea.

Might cut down on traffic stats I suppose.

And a forum is a medium is suited for discussion, not collaborative drafting / refining / structuring a long-form text.

That is what a wiki is good for.

As I suggested, each "node" of the wiki that needs discussion could link to a specified thread here, but the text being developed / edited remains in one spot, on the wiki.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Actually after all this time , I believe I have full trust of the management … As long as it’s good intentioned and in consideration of others.
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:57 am

GPW wrote:I’d just like to say a special THANK YOU to Greygoos for the really nice window !!! 8) …. It’s going to look really Good on the Foam Stream and really let a lot more light in … Plus providing a good amount of ventilation too … It’s good friends like this that make this all possible … Thanks Goos …!!! :thumbsup: :D

GPW, did you get these windows installed?

I ask because I am thinking about using my long sliders that I have sitting in my truck cap that I recently took off my GMC before I sold it. The two side sliders and maybe use the stationary front window as a moonroof or front window....I would be interested to see how you handle installing the big windows and inside trim.

I finished this whole thread....can't remember any cats...now I have done it.....but plenty of weather.....

Hey.....Betsy we rode the pirogues in the streets....our house was wearing one third of the double house that was on the rear street....our single shotgun house was wearing part of that double shotgun house's roof.....the roof was lifted....leaving the chimneys intact....it traveled in a straight-line towards our house....when it encountered our garage..built from oil field tubing welded frame cemented in slab...yeah flying roof didn't stand a chance..(on our 30' foot wide lot.....I learned how to drive a stick.....from the street into that garage and back out to the street again....a pink 57 chevy....when I was 12)...we were standing in the open door facing our street...so with our backs to the flying roof direction when it hit.on top of us...I think it was Betsy or maybe Hilda....one of those.....Shwegmanns on the Westbank emptied their freezers and coolers of 'ALL' perishables in the parking lot....the next day.....every kid who had a bike with a basket (me) made a few hauls of ice cream, frozen pies and other goodies..even real food for Mom...boy were we ever sick.....we were without power for a few weeks and mostly without a roof....candles, 6 volt lanterns (bull eyes for those in the 'know') coleman stoves.....

In the spirit of bug out....a multi prong attack on the powering of emergency equipment....just like the old days.....I still have the old reliables....candles, coleman stove, a nice little backpacking stove too.....and I have been meaning to build me a compact rocket stove, or just break down and buy one....

When I used to live on the West Pearl River....right at the old Indian Village.....my house was on the old natural levee.....didn't help it during Katrina.....it still had 2 1/2 feet of water in it....but I had sold it over a year before....I lived there for 4 years I think.....I had to pull my 32 foot Jayco out of there every little tropical depression....as the water would come over the entrance road to the area....so you had to bug out or hunker down (hunker up....) I just took a little trip every storm....would miss all the traffic....as I couldn't wait that long.

Somebody asked what do we do down there with boats and things left behind during storms (boat on trailers on land)....during Katrina I was living in Covington, I had just sold a camp that I renovated in Pirates Alley.....old first exit off I-10 (it had 2 1/2 feet of water in the house, which was 10 foot above the water)....well back at my house in Covington....I had a 16 foot Weld Craft....a heavy alum welded V-front flat set up like a bass boat....I bought it to dodge those logs in the Pearl River System....well to answer what I did when I left it behind.....I had both the boat and the trailer tied to a handful of big trees....when we were able to come home 3 1/2 weeks later....the tree that fell on the boat was removed.....but the boat still has the over a foot long depression where it rested on the gunwale....and slight ding in the side of the boat where it was rammed against the strong galvanized trailer fender....

When we did run from Katrina....our route was strange.....we started in Fort Walton Beach Florida....my wife was presenting at her work's annual big show....we had made it a family trip....and had someone else's teenager with us....they ran us out of Florida with us thinking the storm was going right where we were....of course by the time we got to Covington....everyone was running away.....I hurriedly tied everything important down (i.e. boat)....I had just sold my 32 foot Jayco..at the same time I sold the camp...we were without a bug out trailer.....I was actively looking for one before the storm.....of course after the storm.....it was slim pickings for awhile.....we took back roads....and the only traffic I ran into was a couple of prison busses.....until I hit Vicksburg, MS......by the time we got on the road....it was a choice between Dallas or Little Rock for the closest open motel room....then after a few days we spent the rest of the exile north of Atlanta on the floor at family.....Parish Bank was closed for a good week....our accounts were not accessible.....hard to convey to others what happens when the stuff really hits the fan....

My neighbor had my trees cleared off my boat and out of my driveway before I got back....he had wisely pulled my 'filled' with seafood and beef.....long six foot long chest freezer.....over to his house.....it was the community 'ice box' ....came in handy when the national guard was giving out ice....we were more than grateful they took it out of the house and drug it across the road....they also had emptied the refrigerator......so unlike many others.....I didn't need to buy a new refrigerator...nor deal with the smell...so the freezer 'requisition' was a good deal....

I am going to take a little liberty since this is bug out central....ever see or stand in a storm surge while it was happening? I did at the camp mentioned above...I attended my son's graduation at Lackland AFB....upon returning there was a 'small' tropical depression coming into Slidell....I was still remodeling the camp to resell it....I was living in my 32 foot Jayco....which was parked in front of it....I drove back at night arriving in Slidell at 7am....within an hour or so.....a foot and 1/2 or so storm surge came in we watched the little wall of water coming in.....all the neighbors.....as I was getting them to help me really fast to hook up my truck to the Jayco.......the water came up almost to the bearings of my trailer......we all watched it roll under our houses and across the highway.....then we watched it roll across the two mile open stretch of open marsh......so glad I wasn't there to watch the surge come in during Katrina......some fools were home in the neighborhood.....

The foamy bug out is so smart.....FoamStream is really cool....big enough....and smart....and thrifty...

What is really strange....you built yours to leave New Orleans.....and I am building mine so I can travel to New Orleans....go figure....
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:57 am

"hard to convey to others what happens when the stuff really hits the fan….” True Dat’ !!! :frightened:

LC , It looks like unrestrained climate change is already giving everybody a little taste of disaster … And all I can say is those in the past that were prepared and had a small trailer were in Much better shape than those who were Not prepared and unable to leave … as we saw … :o
Leaving for a couple days is not a biggie , but having to leave unexpectedly for FIVE weeks ( and No trailer ) … that was difficult !!! Having to sneak back into town on little known back roads not guarded by heavily Armed National Guard , was a “lifetime “ experience … Like "Mission Impossible “ , and as exciting … Da Da DA DA :lol:

And No , I haven’t had a chance yet to install the BIG window in the FS as yet , still early into the “ building season” and waay before the next “season” ( June 1) So many things have come up on the list of "things to do “ here on the farm , we’ve been Busy . That and the band is doing really well , keeping me busier than normal . I thought Retirement would be kicking back , relaxing …. Ha !!! :shock: Never worked harder !!! :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:39 am

GPW wrote:Actually after all this time , I believe I have full trust of the management … As long as it’s good intentioned and in consideration of others.
I thought the ixnay was wrt the idea itself.

Obviously the resources need to be controlled by those trusted by the community
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm

J , an oddball like me had to hang around a long time to prove myself to the “Family” … It’s “This Trailer Thing we have ! “ 8) …. :lol:

Can you imagine coming to a traditional trailer site and saying “ Hey , lets build trailers out of styrofoam and bedsheets “ …. You can imagine the response that got … :shock: :R :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:04 pm

GPW wrote:J , an oddball like me had to hang around a long time to prove myself to the “Family” … It’s “This Trailer Thing we have ! “ 8) …. :lol:

Can you imagine coming to a traditional trailer site and saying “ Hey , lets build trailers out of styrofoam and bedsheets “ …. You can imagine the response that got … :shock: :R :NC

Now that made me laugh out loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:35 am

Bonnie , I guess it was funny at the time …. made a lot of people Laugh !!! :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 am

I just need to mention those drip edges again … It's been VERY Rainy here :rainy: and every time, I open the Studio door to check on how the water rolls off the FS, and it DOES !!! :D We keep checking underneath after the rain and the new board floor is still Dry ... :thumbsup:

Foamie Rule … ( I’m saying this with full confidence now ) …. If you live in a Rainy area , USE a Drip Edge ... It really works to keep your trailer from becoming water soaked … AND as a bonus , it works to keep the morning dew from doing any damage either … I believe now the daily dew saturation did more damage than the occasional ( daily ) thunderstorms … the rain wanted to get to the ground in a hurry , while the dew just stayed on the outer surface till it evaporated ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Well the renovation finished ,we moved the FoamStream to the Winter camping quarters ( the other side of the driveway ) , where it will “rest” till Next Hurricane season … We’ll still be doing little things to it , just no rush now …

Still thinking how to install that big Window I got from 'Goose .. :thinking: :thumbsup: Gotta plan that carefully , maybe measure THREE times ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am

GPW wrote:Well the renovation finished ,we moved the FoamStream to the Winter camping quarters ( the other side of the driveway ) , where it will “rest” till Next Hurricane season … We’ll still be doing little things to it , just no rush now …

Still thinking how to install that big Window I got from 'Goose .. :thinking: :thumbsup: Gotta plan that carefully , maybe measure THREE times ... ;)

I was waiting for you to install that big window...I have a truck topper that I considered for awhile pulling the side windows to install in my build...then I became concerned that I would be able to figure out if I was going to have a strong enough wall in my build, so for now, the plan for me is leave the 60" long sliders where they are at, and it looks like I will be using something smaller.

Glad you didn't have a big reason to use the Foamstream, and hopefully it stays a driveway ornament...

and while your foaming slows down, mine speeds up...I am winterizing my outdoor pavilion to work in....

Craig
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Sorry , we just never got a chance to even measure /calculate for the window , what with the total Floor renovation which caught me off guard . Turns out I was Lucky it wasn’t a BFD like I thought it was going to be … Not so bad really and a chance to install the necessary Drip Edges … which now work SUPER , and I should have been smart enough to use them all along … :duh:
But no worries , I’ve been Thinking about that window a lot and have concluded we’re only going to remove the Foam and Not the ribs , so the window will be on the outside and Four ribs will be exposed on the inside … I feel like , to cut the ribs to fit the window would sacrifice a LOT of the strength of the inner frame … Since the window has no inner mounting ring , the inside wall will have to be refinished /covered in some way … but best of all the ribs don’t really interfere with the window because the Foam is so Thick ( 3.5” ) , they’re not even near each other … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:30 am

And now , with the passing of time , our Trailer tires have hit 5 years old (sitting on the trailer) … we’ve been using those 4 lug 12” tires , but wonder if it’s worth upgrading to a larger tire/rim , which would require lifting the trailer up a bit ( axle spacers ) … Being Christmas already , I have 6 months left to do Something , either replace with the same size or go for the larger tires … FS is pretty light so I don’t think the 12” tires are a problem , at reasonable speeds … I dunno !!! :thinking:

Note: You know it’s strange we have to replace the tires due to old age … this is the first time we’ve had a trailer last that long … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:40 am

The way I see it. You don't put on a lot of miles on it and it is well below the capacity of the tires. Why would you spend the extra money. I ran 12" tires all over the country at times over 70 mph with no problems at all.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:52 am

Ken , your logic is undeniable … I’ll do as you suggest … Thanks !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies