foamis and high winds.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 am

Simple , the 500 lbs. of Beer keeps it steady ... ;) Ballast ... :thumbsup: Only thing is , every time you drink a beer , you have to throw a rock inside (of similar weight) to maintain the balance ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 am

now, now, gpw...

i know my foamie stays on the road while driving down the highway at at least 60-65. not sure if i have ever gone to 70, but i might have for a short period of time.

me personally, i would seriously think twice about any light travel trailer advisories that were out there.
same as if i were taking a small boat out during small craft warnings. learned my lesson on that one. had to be towed back in from a rescue boat. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:28 am

Appypolylogies' ... Just a bit of country levity ... besides it was Big Mike's idea !!! And I thought it was plausible ... :thinking:

What about private airplanes constructed of the same exact Blue Foam ... that fly over 200mph :o ... I know you guys like to tow FAST, but ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 am

:lol: blaming mike. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 am

Seriously , there's days when it's not good to tow anything .... or drive anything .... :o I used to drive Vans , better to haul my paintings around , and sometimes having to cross the Miss. River Bridge here in a high crosswind was treacherous enough in a Van alone ... :shock: Wish I'd known about the Jedi Beer Ballast trick back then ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:20 pm

GPW wrote:Appypolylogies' ... besides it was Big Mike's idea !!! And I thought it was plausible ... :thinking:

I didn't do it? Why is it my fault? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Gosh , I thought you said that .... ????? :oops: Wonder who gets the credit/blame .... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Oh, you're talking about the beer as ballast? Yea, I think I said that!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 am

It did seem like a practical idea at the time , and more fun than a brick floor ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby davel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 am

The Bluebonnet has done several trips to West Texas with strong side winds and did just fine. It also has seen several trips at 70-75 8) with no problems. As long as you use a regular metal frame I don't see it as any problem.
davel
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 am

i think that is the issue folks have about our foamies. they don't have that regular metal or wood frame. :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 am

Cowboy, Yes ,we've been in parts of the country notorious for High winds ... and as to whether a Foamie would be safe when semi's are being blown over ... well who knows ... ???? :o Just from our experience with airplanes , a rounded shape is better in the wind that a large flat surface ... Sorta like the difference between square hay bales and those bigger round hay rolls... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 am

OK, I posed this question to a few OFBs (old flying buddies) , Old Timer Plane guys, ... First response from them all was "You don't fly on a day like that " !!! :roll:
Then we got into a discussion of balance , center of gravity , and all agreed that the lower the trailer is , the "apparently" wider (as compared to the height) area or "track", the more stable the tow would be ... Kinda' knew that already ... :roll: Talked about shapes .... the Box was definitely Not the way to go ...all their ideas resembled the streamlined canopy off a P-51... Final conclusions... lower , wider , with the mass (weight) concentrated as low as possible (pendulum effect) , and fully rounded surfaces so the air would flow over it easily .. = More stable in the wind ! Makes sense to me ... especially the part about not towing in very windy weather ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

that makes sense to me.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Stouttrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 am

GPW wrote:all their ideas resembled the streamlined canopy off a P-51...

I know I am new here but I know quite a bit about lift. If you build something in this shape it will begin to airfoil, taking a light trailer and making it even lighter. A reverse Tear drop shape would have less airfoil effect. Now if you build it like the P-51B and abruptly stop it in the rear make it flat, then you may avoid this but I would not build it in the shape of an airplane wing.
Stouttrout
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Foamies