My Foamie Build--Updated --Jul 3 I'm eating an elephant

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated -- Today's Color is Brown

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 am

GPW wrote:What about annealing the Aluminum to make it bend easy ?
Norm, a while back I saw some pliers like that that slightly rippled the surface to facilitate bending a radius ... Wonder if they have those too ?

So far, muscle power is working for the bending. I looked at several threads about annealing. Still wondering about it. Though, I thought I'd try a simpler way first. Less to buy and learn.

HF opens in 7 minutes. I gotta get out the door. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

My Foamie Build--Updated -- Today's Color is Brown

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

Norm, a while back I saw some pliers like that that slightly rippled the surface to facilitate bending a radius ... Wonder if they have those too ?

GPW,

At first, with Bonnie mentioning HF, I was going to say that you were talking about metal shrinker. But then I re-read the thread and realized the material Bonnie was using. The metal shrinker is for extrusions so it's probably not good for bending aluminum sheet. I think what you were talking about are is the plier-like tool used on sheet metal ductwork - usually round duct - to allow on joint to fit inside another. I've seen these at HD. Maybe HF has them too.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks Tom !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated -- 9 Jun 2012 Update

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Howdy! I went shopping at HF. They were having a parking lot sale. Got 12" bar clamps 2.00 ea (4); Water tight trailer tail lights both right and left for $5 ea; the tin clamp pliers thing in the 3" size $8. Plus several other things. Then I hit an estate sale and got a 1/2 piece (almost) of 2" blue foam for $1. A really well built storage type box for the tongue box and four 3/4" pipes to eventually make pipe clamps out of for $1. Plus some little files and rasps for $3. All in all a real haul. I also went to the blue box store and bought a gallon can and 1 quart of poly and one quart of mineral spirits and made a 50/50 batch of Frank's mix. I've already put two coats on the door and boy howdy what a difference it makes!

I let it dry between coatings and it's sucking it up! I got the low VOC poly, so the stink isn't too awful. One question, I have is after a couple of more coats, do I need to seal the overall door or will the Mix be enough. I'm not sure I remember discussing that anywhere. Glad I did it that way. Looks tremendous. I think I'm going to go and play with my new clamp pliers. Won't be long before I top things off and try mounting the hinges. Door testing is pretty close. 8) 8) 8)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Clamp plier work wonderfully. I should have the first side of the ali done tomorrow. Three coats of the Mix on the door and it's looking much nicer. I got the satin poly, so it won't be really, really shiny. I've put two coats on the inner side of the hatch door. Once it's done and dry, I'll do the outer side with however many coats I put on the door. Then I'm going to let it sit for several days and harden. Once that's done, I'm going to flip it over and finish the other side.

One thing I will need to do, is drill out the hinge holes before I put the exterior side cedar planks on. That way, I can drill through from the interior after everything is setup. Between that and other things I'm working on, weekends just fly!

Which brings me to today's question. The door hinges I bought are cast iron and are not sealed, per se. They are an oiled finish. What would I use to seal them, so they don't rust?

Fun day today, cheers everyone!
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:53 pm

GPW, my HF did not have the pliers like you describe above. I would have liked to seen them.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 am

Once you get the mix to seal thoroughly , just wait a while and then put straight poly over it for the final finish ... that wood is too Pretty to paint ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 am

I had a set of aircraft fluting pliers putting v shaped notches in aluminum makes it very ridgid we used them on wing rib repairs.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Pete , Thanks , now we know what to call them .... sounds like the right tool ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated -- 16 June Small Update

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 pm

I've been plugging along, as I can. It's turned very hot and humid here, so everything is taking forever to do. Got on a full edge on the aluminum bent. Not sure it will lay flat. I"m torn with what to do. That clamp helped loads. Not giving up, just :thinking: out loud. Can someone please point me to a how to anneal aluminum? Step by step for dummies version please. Required tools list would help, too.

Bright side is I got the first cedar part finished waterproofed. Flipped the door over and will begin side 2. The mix is taking awhile to dry, so each coat is paint it on, let it set. Looks good though, so I'm trying to be patient.

Hit several yard sales today. Got the bottom for my dutch oven stand (walker and satellite dish version). $2. Legs adjust and it folds flat. :thumbsup:
Then I found some closed cell foam stuff that will work for the door seal. $1. Will need to be glued or taped on. Found the LN 201 finally, so I'm good to go there. When the time comes.
Also got a door bell of sorts. It was not cheap, but I liked it a lot. You'll have to wait on the :pictures: until I can figure out if I can use it.

Still got family stuff taking away my build time, but family comes first. I get in a bit of progress here and there. It will get done, just not at lightening speed.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:39 pm

bonnie wrote:Still got family stuff taking away my build time, but family comes first. I get in a bit of progress here and there. It will get done, just not at lightening speed.

I share your sentiments. Family stuff is a constant and it does come first. Just be patient, think of it as a mini-vacation from the build. Helps keep the frustration level down :o :o I spent most of the last couple of weeks dealing with graduation stuff, when I got back to work on the Road Foamie today, I felt much better. I'm working on electrical which is a very slow process for me, but I didn't really mind. Just keep plugging along.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:39 am

you are doing great bonnie. your door is looking fantastic.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks everyone, your encouragement means alot. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated --23 June Help!

Postby bonnie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Does anyone have 8/32 bolts that are 4" long? Or a store close by that might sell them? My door is too fat! The hinge holes are really small. :?

I looked online and 10 bolts would cost me 3.69 cents, but $10 in shipping. :cry:

I've already drilled the holes clean through the door. Was going to post a picture of the dry fit of the hinges, but now I'm stuck.

If you add in I have poison ivy or something making a lovely ring around my neck, you could say I'm having a grumpy weekend.

On a brighter note, I bought b.u.b. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19227 I hope to go to get it this coming weekend. Plans for the trip aren't final yet, but close to it. :) Can we say, instant trailer? And maybe the original foamie. :thumbsup: When I get it home, I can figure out how much will be useable in my current build.
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated --23 June Help!

Postby mezmo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi bonnie,

Poision Ivy - or there abouts - is the pits! 'Hope you can get
it gone fast.

Congrats on your purchase! It's good to see the Numero Uno
Foamie saved and incorporated into a new unique build. Have
a safe trip out and back.

Are the bolts you need 1/4inch? The 8/32 reduces to that, but I
wasn't sure if you meant that or another measure.

One way around not finding the exact length you need, is to
determine the length needed that includes any washers, lock
washers, and nut or locknut needed [acorn nuts look nice for
exposed ends]. Once that's done, get bolts of the next available
length and cut them to the length needed with a grinder or a
Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Use a triangular shaped
[cross section] metal file to clean off the end and the threads
at the end so that you can can use the nuts on the bolt without
them not wanting to go on the threads. The metal file should
allow you to make cut off bolt end look like it was made like the
original.

I don't know what material your hinges are made of, but
if you don't want the bolt ends & nuts to rust you could use
the zinc plated ones and then paint them after installation, or go
for stainless steel or brass bolts for no rust. Brass is easiest
to cut as are aluminum bolts if you can find them.

A Dremel tool or a grinder are handy tools to have around
[always use with eye protection] and aren't too expensive for
home use. Just be advised the Dremel bits can break or get
used up quite quickly but it is an extremely handy tool for small
detail work.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext