question about foam

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

question about foam

Postby Deanna » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm

I have a question about foam. I think it was addressed in the large Thrifty thread, but I can't find it again. Can the beaded foam be used? I live in MN and we have the 2 inch foam. but the beaded foam sheets are 1/2 the price. Thrifty is major consideration for me. Thanks.
Deanna
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm

first off, welcome to the foamies! and wow, this is your first post. you know i took part in that long thread, and i have read it a few times. i am even 100% sure i even asked this same question, but for the life of me i can't remember the answer. :lol:

i will go check it out, but more than likely by the time i find the answer someone else will have posted.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Structurally, beaded foam is not nearly as strong as Extruded Polystyrene.

If you are going to build a tiny teardrop, you'll be fine. If you are building something a little bit larger, then you may want to consider the Extruded Polystyrene.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

foam

Postby Deanna » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:39 pm

I would like to build something with side dimensions of 6 x 8 foot with a height around 5 foot. I will invest in the more expensive foam if I have to....just wondered about the other stuff.
Deanna
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 am

D’, It was mentioned that the beaded foam comes in many densities... and if you can find the same density bead board as the extruded foam (2lb. / cu. ft/ ) It will be fine .... If not you can go to a Thicker beaded foam to compensate ... ;) Twice as thick is eight times as strong ... :thumbsup:
Or use a hard skin (interior) for added structural strength ... Many ways around this problem ...
:thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 am

i knew the answer would get here before i got back.

i wonder if we should sticky this? i think this is a good question for any other new folks to read.

what say you all?

what about a faq sticky?

deanna, could you tell us more about what you have in mind? why are you looking into the foam builds? is weight an issue?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 am

In the past I have found the "beaded" foam to dissolve way to easy with any form of gasoline or fuel oil.
it is one way to make a "tank" cover the foam with fiberglass and cut a hole in goes some gas and the foam just disappears.
don't think trailer builders have a need for doing this I just wanted to let you know what I did in the past.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i knew the answer would get here before i got back.

i wonder if we should sticky this? i think this is a good question for any other new folks to read.

what say you all?

what about a faq sticky?

deanna, could you tell us more about what you have in mind? why are you looking into the foam builds? is weight an issue?

it might be nice to have a stickied thread on foam materials, with any pertanant info, type, strengths, the 2x thickness it 8x strength that I keep reading, I thought someone started a thread about types of foam, maybe add this info to it, and sticky...

I think pete's info would be nice in there also.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Papi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Funny you should ask... I did an experiment with the beaded foam. Let's just say use the more dense stuff and avoid the headache. Results were less than strong. Plus, the beaded stuff crumbles when you try to sand it, and makes an irregular surface, and a lot of "snow" to clean up. I got a bunch of beaded foam for free, and threw it away after my experiment. By "threw it away" I mean it made a great BB gun target first.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Hey Deanna,

Welcome to the world of the Foamlings... I think your question has been answered pretty well, but if you have ANY further questions, don't be afraid to think out loud in front of this group. We know the 200+ page main thread could be (is) a bit painful to get through, so feel free to ask your questions to the group. We're more than glad to give you the answers we have and Louella keeps all of us from getting out of line :lol: 8) :D . We're glad to share whatever tips, techniques and expertise that we've got. Glad to have you here!! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 pm

well after checking out what sticky's we have, i did not feel this really fell into any of those. so i decided to make this a sticky.

i will watch where this threads goes to see if it will need to be broke off.

:D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Beaded foam requires a different working technique, especially sanding , which should be done in one direction only , and Yeah Boy , it sure is Messy !!! Given the same density , it’s probably as “structural" as any other foam , which very few are... Lets just call it an insulating “Fillerâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

About the types of foam...

Postby mdk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I see the use of styrofoam - the kind cheap coolers are made of - and foamular, and some stuff that looks like foamular, but is a different product.

I stopped at my local Home Depot and they have 2 inch Foamular, which has a "skin". Is this a problem? I would think that adhesives would like the rougher surface of unskinned foam. Or have I missed something obvious?
5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Re: About the types of foam...

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:31 pm

As indicated elsewhere, it is recommended that you peel or sand the thin clear film off before attempting to glue or coat the XPS foam. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: About the types of foam...

Postby mdk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:15 pm

KCStudly wrote:As indicated elsewhere, it is recommended that you peel or sand the thin clear film off before attempting to glue or coat the XPS foam. :thumbsup:

It may be common knowledge here, but it isn't easy to find if you don't know where to look.

Can I assume it just pulls off easily?
5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Foamies