The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - A new Hybrid Foamie Design

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Last night I finished up some details on the shop drawings for the trailer frame and put in a purchase request with Karl for the steel (he has stronger buying power than I do and gets frequent deliveries directly to his shop). I ended up changing the rear cross member to 2x2x3/16 SQ TB because it made more sense to use the drop piece from the tongue frame than it would have to buy a whole 'nuther stick of 2x2x1/8 SQ TB just for the 5 ft xmbr. So it ended up just being one 20 footer each of 2x2x3/16 SQ TB, 2x2x1/8 SQ TB and 2x2x1/8 L. There will be leftovers, but Karl is always generous when I need something out of his stock pile, so any drops that aren't used on this project will be donated "to the house". It all works out in the end.

I did also find a few parts in the model that had the default material style that needed to be corrected. New estimated weight with all of the caveats listed above still in force is 877 lbs total, 196 lbs. for the trailer frame and swivel style coupler alone (sans axle and suspension, but including the rear xmbr change). My next purchases will be jacking feet for the rear and the Carry-On 2000 lb. 2" ball coupler (http://www.tractorsupply.com/carry-on-trailer-reg-a-frame-coupler-2-in--0189228). The swivel coupler is a nice idea, but it is complex, heavier, and I don't think I will really need it. Either way I want to make sure that the Std. coupler and tongue jack is compatible with the way that I have the two tongue rails tied together at the front; might have to make an adjustment there. I want to make sure that either way is doable.

I like the strength and simplicity of the Std. 50 deg coupler, but I am leery of the fixed (non-folding) tongue jack. Will consider adapting it to have a quick disconnect feature so that the jack can quickly be unpinned, or quarter turned, to remove, and then stow it in the tongue box during travel.

Just got confirmation from Karl that the steel arrived at his shop today. :twisted:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 am

KC, can’t wait to see your progress!!! All sounds really good !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

More dwg work.

Curb side profile (outside) with details for door frame, bottom rail, and laminated hatch rail, as well as blocking recesses for porch light and fender.

And one of the inside showing the recesses for the blocking to support the cabinets and the bulkhead.

Will probably have to add a few more recesses/blocks for things like the reading lamps and light switches once I get those figured out.

At work the "Wellness Committee" is sponsoring “Sprint to Spring” contest where we have grouped up into 4 person teams and are trying to lose our holiday weight gained (and, for some, more :oops: ). There are 11 teams and each week we get on an industrial scale, all 4 members at the same time, to see how we are doing. My team, “The Wrecking Balls” is in the lead at the halfway mark, so we each won a $25 gift cert. to Wallie World :thumbsup:. The grand prize is $400 each!!! :applause: . I was going to make a run up to Trctr Sply (1/2hr run) this evening to see about the coupler and tongue jack, but I think I will swing by WW instead (on the way home) to see what they have.
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Perhaps someone, or a Mod could tell me what I did wrong, attempting to post pic's using the "gallery" insert into post feature. Can't see my own images. :NC
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:42 pm

ok that did not work, hold on
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm

ok, i'll be back when i get this figured out.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 pm

i am not sure if i can do it for you, that is what i was trying to do.

go into your gallery, and click on the pic. then click on that top image url, copy that and post that here. see if that works for you.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks Eagle.
I went back in and edited that post to use the tried and true cut/paste img bracket method and the images still don't show up :roll: :oops: .
So, since I have been successful at posting pics right from the get go (lots of lurking and reading the instructions paid off :thumbsup: ) I will assume that it may have something to do with the way that those images were produced by exporting them from Inventor directly to downsized png's (maybe?).

Anywho, I did stop by WW and got these;

Class III coupler safety chains with 2 threaded quick links included and a coupler padlock; $2.56 out of pocket + $25 gift card :twisted: .

Well I can see from previewing this post that this image is not working at the moment either :? . I'll just leave them in here with hope that things will work themselves out eventually. Check my album/gallery to see latest pics.
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Your new design?:

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Your new windows:

Go to the album picture that you want and click on it. When it comes up by itself on the screen, copy the address that displays at the top of the screen.
Paste this into your post and then delete the '_page' so that part becomes 'image.php?'
Highlight the modified picture address and click on 'Img'.

Just to be certain you have done it correctly, click the Preview button and check it before you hit the final Submit button. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

WW did have the solid mount tongue jack with removeable foot, but they did not have the 50 deg style coupler to go with it. I didn't know if these are a std. size configuration across manufacturers so I held off getting the jack and coupler until I can get both the same, got the chains and lock instead. :FNP

Since I am a glutten for punishment, I will attempt to post a couple of the pic's of me unpacking my windows.

They are new Hehr units. I will have to make a separate post later with the model number and e-bamy vendor I got them from. They were exceptionally well packed. First I removed the outer cardboard box, then here's a shot of me on the kitchen floor prying out what seemed like 50 heavy staples
The crate was built up from pine 1x with luan skins top and bottom. That's Saphron, our small orange tabby. (Did you know that female orange tabbies are 1 in 10 compared to males, rare?)

Once I got the skin off there was a layer of white beaded foam board (gratuitous foam shot)

Then the windows themselves were wrapped back to back with bubble wrap!!! :thumbsup: Man they got this packing job right! :thumbsup:

And here is the "beauty shot" with me and my hat head hair doing my best Vanna White impersonation presenting one of the pair
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you Sharon, with your input I was able to go back and fix the pic's in my last couple of posts.

Is this "_page" thing something to do with the new forum or did I just do something new/wrong? I had no trouble putting up pics previously. :D
Last edited by KCStudly on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Sharon wrote: "Your new design?"

Yes. Well actually it is a snap shot of the detailed drawings of the design that was rendered in the images at the start of this thread, so it's my "same old new design" :D .

Okay, I'm off to catch up on what everyone else is up to, and to see if I can find the proper way to quote from someone else's post.

Thanks for looking in on my build. Hope to cut steel and get some sparks flying later this week, if not, then on the weekend!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies