Army Goose - First Trip Report

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Wild Goose ....

Postby Aligator944 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks again for all the compliments. This has been a real fun build.
Well, our first camping trip is over and we enjoyed the typical western Washington spring rain. Friday and into Saturday the weather was nice, but then it started raining on Saturday afternoon. The trailer really did quite well, except for two issues.

First it seems there is something wrong with one of the flat 4 trailer connectors either on the trailer of the suv. It seemed that when wiggling the connector either one or the other of the lights would work, but not both at the same time. I will need to do more testing to figure out the problem, but my guess is the trailer side of the connector since it was new. The second problem is that there is a small leak at the front window. I used butal putty tape to install the windows and with it being somewhat cooler I did not get the chance to really tighten the screws on the trim ring. Actually I snapped the heads off about 3 trying to tighten them before I decided to wait until warmer weather. I suspect that will fix the problem. I was debating adding a alminum angle "gutter" above the window for a while, then decided to go without. I will probably add one now as extra protection.

A third issue, not really the trailers fault, was that the friends we were camping with pulled some shenanigans so our son would not sleep in his tent (with hopefully one of the dogs), so we were somewhat crowded on the bed. Hopefully we can move our son and 100 lbs golden retriever to the tent next trip! We are heading down to the Oregon Coast for a week long trip in about 2 1/2 weeks. I need to wrap up a couple of the minor things I did not finish and deal with the 2 issues above.

As expected it tows like there is nothing there. I have not had the chance to weight it yet, but she is seems pretty light. I especially noticed the light weight when I had to slam on the brakes due to not paying close attention to the school bus stopping in front of us.

I wish we had some pictures, but we managed to leave with no memory card in the camera. I had pulled it so I could bring pics to work for this post and it never got back into the camera!
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Re: Army Goose - First Trip Report

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 am

Glad to hear all went well. A shakedown trip is always a good thing and it looks like you've done well. I can see why a "gutter" strip above your front window would be a good idea. That's a fairly steep angle there and water would definitely want to work it's way in under the window frame. GREAT JOB!!! Did the hatch work like you wanted? Just curious....
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

Its messy and nasty to apply but silicone is your friend for windows. It will seal way better than butyl tape and readily available.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Aligator944 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 am

The hatch works very well, no leaks. After all the layers of paint and everything it did end up fairly heavy, my wife can't set it up, but it is still a one man job. The vinyl sides also seal well via the velcro strips and did not leak.

I had the putty sitting around from when I was going to redo all the drip edge trim on our old Aristocrat trailer, so it was "free" thats why I used it. It seems like if it worked to seal a 40 year old trailer it should work well here also. Once we get some warm weather and I tighten the screws I expect all will be good.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:05 pm

glad you enjoyed your foamie! hope those issues will be easily resolved. now.....don't ever, ever, ever, forget to bring the camera again! :lol: :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:52 am

Definitely, we need Lots more Pics ... :pictures:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Very nice work!

Pat G :beer:
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby dodgedartgt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey Aligator944,

I haven't been on TnTT forums for a really long time. Enjoyed reading through your build log. Since we're in October now, I'm hoping you have some more pics to post. Where was your trip on the OR coast to? We've been in FL for 7 yrs now, but I really miss OR (lived there for 17-18 yrs).

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby capy235 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Gas assist struts will make opening the hatch easier. Available even at Wal-Mart.
capy235
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 am

Read through most of your post on this thread tonight. What a nice build.
When you get a chance to get it weighed, let us know.

:thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aligator944 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 pm

The trailer survived our camping trips this summer and did quite well. It was easy to tow and quick to set up. We found ourselves to be quite warm in the trailer and ended up leaving one side of the canvas partway down to allow the heat to escape. We also left the upper half of the dutch door unlatched and slightly open. The only problem we have had is not enough room. Even with our 11 year old son sleeping outside in a tent with our 110lb golden, we found the interior a bit cramped for my wife and I and our mini schnauzer. Not enough standing room is the real issue and only one person can be up at once. We still have our old Aristocrat lo-liner that we never got around to selling this passed summer and we have been talking about selling the Army Goose. This could very well lead to a second build as the Aristocrat is just to heavy for our SUV to tow comfortably. Hmm.... what to do with an 11.5' long by 7' wide frame. The real bummer is that I completely redid the interior in it 2 years ago and I hate to destroy it. Maybe I should just look for an old trailer frame on craigslist. And sell both trailers.

The trailer held up well though I did notice 2 small bubble areas where the paint was not adequately applied during the canvas application. I will just cut a 1/2" slit in the canvas and squeeze in some tightbond to fix. Somehow we failed to take many pictures with the trailer in it. Here are the only two we had. The first is during our first trip and the second along the Oregon Coast. We did stop at a weight station and surprisingly the scale said the trailer was 1640lbs. It was well stocked with wood and food and all our other gear for the Oregon week long trip, so I guess there was probably 3-400lbs of stuff in it.

Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Love the Oregon coast!! I built the Road Foamie on a tent trailer frame. I built it for two and not as a standy but with our 2 dogs, on a frame that large, it was quite comfortable. I guess I need to pull mine into a weigh station one of these days. I'd like to see it come in under a 1000 lbs, but I shot for 1200 lbs. I really have no idea what it weighs now that it's done.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Alaskabear99687 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:47 pm

I have just purchased a 5x10 trailer and really like your plan with the push up standy part. Did you have any plans for this or just by trial and error?
Alaskabear99687
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Army Goose - 2 plus year update

Postby Aligator944 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:05 pm

We just got back from our first camping trip this year (the start of year 3 with our foamy). I have had to do nothing to it regarding maintenance even though we ended up keeping it out doors the past winter. It was partly tarped so I hosed it off and gave it a quick scrub with a broom and that was it. No leaks or any issues over the winter. I must say that I put at least 4-5 layers of paint on it and I am sure that helped.

The only issue I have had is the rubber seal in the front window. I should replace it since it leaked a bit when I hosed it off due to the large volume of water.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Gator ... That’s so COOL !!! They really do live outside very well... :thumbsup: 8) :D Have a Great Camping Season !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies