Canvas quality

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Canvas quality

Postby pchast » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Has anyone noticed any difference in the weights or qualities of canvas used relating to the sturdiness of the finished Tear?

Is there any difference in using say 7oz vs. 12oz cloth or #12 to #6 canvas other than the total weight applied?

Is the lightest cotton cloth good or is the polyester canvas ok for our application? How much shrinkage is desirable to enhance the rigidity of this construction?

Thanks for your comments.

Pete
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Canvas quality

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 am

Pete , just naturally , the thicker /heavier the canvas skin , the Stronger the job ... but it’s also the fibers that are important ... The stronger the fibers , the thinner/ lighter material you can get away with ... Just FYI , we used a rather light Linen canvas on ours , which has held up extremely well, ( even to a hail storm) , but I noticed the fiberglass tape applied with T2 was even stronger .. as one would think .
Shrinkage wasn’t even a consideration for me ... I stretched (lightly) the fabric over the glue and pinned it with some blowgun darts .. and it came out (dried ) nice and smooth ...

We used some old bed sheets for our interior skin , and just that alone added a lot of strength to the foam ...

On our FoamStream build , we’re going to use the heaviest canvas we can find ... just to make it as strong as we can , for long term durability ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies