ZEPHYR...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: ZEPHYR...

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:47 am

TS, always glad to hear from you !!! ... Things are at a standstill ...especially today (MardiGras)! Weather still too COLD ( Below 70F) to work outside ..... hahahaha Been scavenging materials again for the Z build ... an saving SS money to finance it all ... Still learning from others here , considering some little ”changes" for the better ... :thinking:
What are you working on ?? Must be warm in sunny FLA. :icedtea:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tsmyth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:44 am

GPW
Bought a Alum truck topper 98"long x 56" wide x 22" depth for $20 from Craigs list and have been thinking of a stand -up camper for my truck -less than 1000lbs.
Using EMT and foam and canvas for area between truck rail and bottom of topper ( no floor to save weight)
Building model to see how ugly it will looks.

Has your zephyr design been put on hold or moving on to different projects.
tsmyth
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 am

TS, it’s just a matter of time , and the fact the wife doesn’t believe we really need 4 trailers in the yard ... :o If I get rid of one , then I can build another , and justify it (sorta’ ) ... Plus all the new stuff we’re learning from everybody else , we’d like to include some of that too in the new build ... :thinking: And just as a side note , I’d really like to get one of those Low "carry on" trailers , so the whole thing would be garageable ... making minor maintenance so easy (comfortable ) ... 8)
As far as the design , I can’t seem to think of anything I like better , we have the ease of construction , ( gentle roof bend ) The 5 sides, self supporting shape ... and more streamline both forward and sideways for crosswind resistance ...
Still thinking though , and ever looking around to get a really good deal on materials ... and that new trailer .. ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:45 am

Watching an ancient episode of Star Trek , we had a good look at the Shuttle Galileo , and got all excited about the Zephyr again ... Just looking forward to a new trailer project to start for this winter (non hurricane ) months ... Got the building itch ... and already have a trailer waiting ( two actually ) :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Hey Glen,

I think that's great, but I do think you should make it a pop-up like our winter warriors... :thumbsup:

Since it's foam, the top would be quite light... :D

Call it a Winter Galileo! :?

or maybe a Galileo Warrior.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:19 am

We’ll have to think more about that Mike .... I rather like a low trailer and standing up inside we don’t do that much ... The 5’ tall trailer we first built was quite comfortable inside and I could sit upright in a normal folding chair and still have room for my cowboy hat ... :D The FoamStream is really great for walking around inside , but it’s a BIG (Tall) trailer ... Thinking the Zephyr would be more "cozy” ... but still a lot of floorspace , and garageable ... :thinking: And it’s really Simple and already aerodynamic ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 am

And we couldn’t resist exploring a 2 hinge roof extension ... :thinking: That would make it 6’ + tall inside in the back .. or more if wanted... Yet still able to pull in the garage ... Only problem the roof would pop up leaving a space between roof and sides ... Maybe not such a good idea ... :roll:
Attachments
Zephyr.png
Zephyr.png (68.72 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Good luck with the 2 hinge thingie. Nuf said.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

It was just a design idea ... I’m Not going to do a Pop up , cause' , we don’t need all the extra complexity ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:45 pm

It was only a matter of time before we started getting the Itch to start the New trailer build ... I just showed it to H.R.H. and she Liked it .. :o ( very encouraging ! ) Since it has to be a slouchy (not quite a standy') ... we might have to make/build our own trailer ... a very LOW and wide trailer ... This one has to be able to fit in the garage ... That was my excuse ... "Winter is coming, and the night is full of trailers" ... !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby MadMango » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:10 am

That shape looks familar....
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 am

MM, It will go "where no trailer has gone before" .... in my Garage ..... hahahaha ... Actually that’s not true , the Foamie #1 fit in the garage end of the Studio ... :roll:

This time we’re going to build everything in sections flat on a big worktable , finish too, and then just assemble it in sections ... so much easier than crawling around on old knees ,working overhead..... grrrrr!!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Glen,

Did you see this? viewtopic.php?p=1208125#p1208125

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 am

Oh , that’s just too cool !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:45 am

OK, I give in … Here’s another idea ( Pop UP ) … or even something even more permanent like the one MadMango posted above ^ . 8) Sorta' a marrage between a Zephyr and the old Vista Cruiser roof … which BTW , was a popular addition to a Kustom Van roof back in the 70’s … ( bit of welding ) But in foam it would be Easy … Right ? ;)
Attachments
Pop Up Zephyr .png
Pop Up Zephyr .png (59.43 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies