Casein Glue and fiberglass cloth

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Casein Glue and fiberglass cloth

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Using milk and hemp? Something is going to smoke and eat it at the same time.

Just kidding. I like your experiments, keep up the good work.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby WeirdDogGuy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks Randy, glad you're enjoying my little science project. I did 2 more tests to my tyvek/casein composite. I tried to break it. The tyvek and foam snapped with medium hand force. I could not fail the FG and casein by hand. It's pretty strong-I'd have to put it in a vice and fail it with a hammer or maybe stomp up and down on it. It's much stronger than the Tyvek composite. The other experiment that I did was to try to form the tyvek around a compound curve. I wrapped a football (American) in a trash bag and glassed it with tyvek/casein. It was a mess since the Tyvek has no drape. So I had to wrinkle and force the tyvek around the shape. I suspected that it was going to be difficult since the tyvek feels pretty stiff in my hand. The addition of the glue didn't soften it at all.

So the conclusion I arrived at was that the Tyvek would be good for flat surfaces and light builds, like maybe a bike trailer. It could also be very useful as a layer over a coarse weave fabric. The Tyvek finishes out very smoothly and would act as a structural filler.

avll17.jpg
avll17.jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 387 times
WeirdDogGuy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Fri May 09, 2014 3:47 am

Simple recipe here:

http://www.csiro.au/helix/sciencemail/a ... kglue.html

If the link goes stale, 2 tablespoon powdered milk, 1 tablespoon vinegar, separate curd and add 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda. Done.

Interesting.

I used to see it for sale in hardware stores when I was kid (long, long, long time ago) :(

I don't know where you're located, but powdered milk here in central Texas is kind of expensive. For drinking purposes, it's as expensive as fresh milk.

Titebond 2 is fairly inexpensive at the Borgs and is waterproof for all practical purposes. However, if you're trying to be "green", it may be an alternative. A wood trailer frame would "green" too. I have seen plans for wood trailers when I was a kid. Not sure AHJ's would approve now though.

-- Teri
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 am

To get even more earthy, Dave- dwgriff1 , built a trailer out of wood. When I was seriously thinking about it I spoke with him. I would not be afraid of building on wood It is the wheels and axles that cost so much and for what I could buy the wheels and axle for I could buy the HF and just put it together. My main thought was thrifty. and using oak and good woods to build the frame with all the other extra woods and the wheels axeles and just adding it all together the HF comes in with less weight, so I went HF.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WeirdDogGuy » Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm

TeriL wrote:
Simple recipe here:

http://www.csiro.au/helix/sciencemail/a ... kglue.html

If the link goes stale, 2 tablespoon powdered milk, 1 tablespoon vinegar, separate curd and add 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda. Done.

Interesting.

I used to see it for sale in hardware stores when I was kid (long, long, long time ago) :(

I don't know where you're located, but powdered milk here in central Texas is kind of expensive. For drinking purposes, it's as expensive as fresh milk.

Titebond 2 is fairly inexpensive at the Borgs and is waterproof for all practical purposes. However, if you're trying to be "green", it may be an alternative. A wood trailer frame would "green" too. I have seen plans for wood trailers when I was a kid. Not sure AHJ's would approve now though.

-- Teri

Yes, casein isn't particularly cheap. I just had a bunch of powdered milk that I wanted to use up. You can use the marked down skim milk that's past the expiration date to save some money. I like the idea that it's green but the foam surely isn't so I'm compromising here. They have been making foam out of soybeans for some time now, but I'm unaware of any rigid foams-just soft foam for seat cushions,etc.

I remember it in hardware stores too! We must be getting old or something! :shock:

ThxAndy
WeirdDogGuy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 am

by WeirdDogGuy » 09 May 2014, 13:15

Yes, casein isn't particularly cheap. I just had a bunch of powdered milk that I wanted to use up. You can use the marked down skim milk that's past the expiration date to save some money. I like the idea that it's green but the foam surely isn't so I'm compromising here. They have been making foam out of soybeans for some time now, but I'm unaware of any rigid foams-just soft foam for seat cushions,etc.

I remember it in hardware stores too! We must be getting old or something! :shock:

ThxAndy

The local supermarkets here don't sell past expiration products. Not sure about other places. Not sure it's legal here in the US to sell past expiration products. Occasionally, I see some items nearing expiration dates to be marked down slightly. Maybe I shop at upper scale supermarkets :R No I don't!

Sigh! Yeah, we must be getting old to even remember caesin glue in hardware stores. :cry:

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Sun May 11, 2014 1:40 am

by Mary C » 09 May 2014, 10:00
To get even more earthy, Dave- dwgriff1 , built a trailer out of wood. When I was seriously thinking about it I spoke with him. I would not be afraid of building on wood It is the wheels and axles that cost so much and for what I could buy the wheels and axle for I could buy the HF and just put it together. My main thought was thrifty. and using oak and good woods to build the frame with all the other extra woods and the wheels axeles and just adding it all together the HF comes in with less weight, so I went HF.

Mary C. :lady:

A trailer could be built out of wood if properly designed. There was a British sports car in the '60s made from wood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcos_%28automobile%29. The designers were not your average hot rodders though. Real engineers and innovators.

Still not sure if the AHJ's (Authorities Having Jurisdiction) would approve.

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun May 11, 2014 5:29 pm

angib shared an article about a plywood car hauler http://www.westsystem.com/ss/projects-t ... taudacher/ the guy built it to haul his race car, he even used a winch to swing the car on and off instead of long ramps or lifts like everyone else uses. massive wood beams are not needed just good engineering and proper structure. :thumbsup:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies