The Mad Dash begins...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Mad Dash begins...

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 am

Great progress, Mike! :thumbsup: :applause:

:question: Foamie noob questions:
mikeschn wrote:Then I glued up the walls...

Glued what to what? Baseboard to the floor edges? Foam to floor surface? Both? Something else? No screws?

With what? TB2, GS, something else? BTW, I found that TB doesn't stick all that well to poly.

How'd you keep the walls upright while the glue set? Seems to me they'd fall over if you sneezed.

I'm learning as you go.
:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Wow, that panel on the CNC looks complicated. Must have spent some serious time figuring it all out as well as cutting.

Making some quick progress. :thumbsup:
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Fred,

Here's the panel for the window, still need to glue in a center section of 1/4" plywood, but you get the idea...

I glued in some framing for the roof vent. Still have to add the little pieces in the middle, so that I have 1 1/2" of framing to mount to.

Also tried gluing in the first roof panel without kerfing. It felt pretty stressed out, so I took a heat gun to it. I'll know tomorrow if that made a difference.
What you see on top is just some clamping boards, those will come off tomorrow.

That's all the excitement for one day!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Here's an end view of the window panel that shows where the parting line is...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Capn,

Check out this picture...

I've rabetted 1/2" plywood hard edges into the foam, with the plywood extending 2" past the foam. The reason is so that the foam can sit on the trailer in compression; but I drive screws through the plywood edges, into the floor and spars.

I also have gorilla glue on the foam to the floor, and on the hard edges to the floor. Screws, of course! And adding canvas will give me triple redundancy. :D

I was a little bit concerned about the wind too. The day we glued up the walls it was quite breezy. Surprisingly, the screws held the wall very securely. Of course we added a temporary spar across the top as soon as we could.

I've made one very big error though. The galley spar, the one that the hatch hinge mounts to is only glued to the foam, not the hardwood edges. When I glued the roof panel on this afternoon, the joint broke. I currently have it sitting in a pool of gorilla glue, with a pipe clamp on it. I'll know tomorrow if that's still going to be an issue. If so, I'll have to perform major surgery, and extend the hatch spar down to the hard edge. :frightened:

Mike...

capnTelescope wrote:Great progress, Mike! :thumbsup: :applause:

:question: Foamie noob questions:
mikeschn wrote:Then I glued up the walls...

Glued what to what? Baseboard to the floor edges? Foam to floor surface? Both? Something else? No screws?

With what? TB2, GS, something else? BTW, I found that TB doesn't stick all that well to poly.

How'd you keep the walls upright while the glue set? Seems to me they'd fall over if you sneezed.

I'm learning as you go.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Mike, you are really making headway on this built. Keep it up...... :applause: :beer:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Mike, thanks for the explanation. Everything is much clearer now.

Onward! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:36 pm

That window panel looks terrific. :thumbsup: Should be strong too as a multilayer composite panel.

You planning on a cover for the window, assuming that goes on the leading edge of the TD like it appears ?
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 am

Fred Trout wrote:Wow, that panel on the CNC looks complicated. Must have spent some serious time figuring it all out as well as cutting.

When Fred said this, I knew I'd missed something. :scratchthinking: Went back and looked again. Yeah, he's cutting stuff out on the CNC, nothing special to see here. :shrug: Then I went back and looked again. 3D sculpting! Jaw-droppingly awesome! :shock:

WTG! I haven't had occasion to do that on my machine yet.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:31 pm

LOL Capn,

It's really not that fancy! Anyways, the foam is really soft now that I've whittled half of it away. I'm hoping the gluing it up to the plywood strengthens it up again. The first half is in the garage drying. I'll glue up the second half tomorrow, and then I'll try to get a picture.

It's time for you to try 3D scuplting!!! :thumbsup:

Mike...

capnTelescope wrote:
Fred Trout wrote:Wow, that panel on the CNC looks complicated. Must have spent some serious time figuring it all out as well as cutting.

When Fred said this, I knew I'd missed something. :scratchthinking: Went back and looked again. Yeah, he's cutting stuff out on the CNC, nothing special to see here. :shrug: Then I went back and looked again. 3D sculpting! Jaw-droppingly awesome! :shock:

WTG! I haven't had occasion to do that on my machine yet.

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:32 pm

No window cover planned as it's going to be on an angle. Of course, that could always change!!!

Mike...

Fred Trout wrote:That window panel looks terrific. :thumbsup: Should be strong too as a multilayer composite panel.

You planning on a cover for the window, assuming that goes on the leading edge of the TD like it appears ?

Thanks Wolfgang!

Wolfgang92025 wrote:Mike, you are really making headway on this built. Keep it up...... :applause: :beer:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 am

Thought you guys might like to see the high level plan for the Month of August...

Aug 1
Glue walls and spars Done!
Build Wheel Wells

Aug 8
Glue Roof
Build window panel

Aug 15
Canvas Body

Aug 23
Build Doors
Build Hatch

Aug 29
Canvas Doors and Hatch
Install Pet Cool
Build Galley?

It's not set in stone, some things are getting done ahead of time, like the doors, while other things are falling behind schedule, like the wheel wells. But overall the plan seems to be working so far.

And after that, I think the last big thing is to install the lights and the electrical. I'll probably do that in September.

What do you guys think? Do-able? or too much?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:32 am

You are getting all of this done on just one day a week? You are building much faster than it even appears! :?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:46 am

KC,

No, those dates represent the weekend beginning Saturday. The plan is to build every Saturday and Sunday. I do allow myself an hour or two during the week after work if I need it to keep up with the plan!

This week, for example I am planning on putting in a dowel into my hatch hinge spar to keep it from pulling away from the foam. I am also gluing the window panel pieces to the plywood. But that'll be all until Saturday.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 am

Good Plan !!! Good to have a plan !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies