The Mad Dash begins...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Mad Dash begins...

Postby PC44730 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks all for pointing me in these good directions. I've noticed that it seems to be a popular modification to the trailer to move the axle toward the rear of the trailer. I assume this improves how the trailer follows. How would one determine how far back to move it?

CB
PC44730
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:39 pm

We've just been bashed by the remnants of hurricane Patricia. We haven't received our teardrop cover yet, so we went outside and stuck our head in the MadDash. Nice and dry!!! I'm so happy. It's going to live outside all winter, with or without a cover... Hopefully with. Just waiting for Pahaque to come through! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 am

Mike , all mine live outside , no covers... :thumbsup: Now you can say the Mad Dash is “storm tested” ... :beer:
Ps. FS went through Patricia fine too , we had some rain too (lots) ... :rainy: and wind ... Only thing that wasn’t tested is , would it float ... ( likely with all that foam eh !!! ) :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Well, Mad Dash got a Christmas present... she's covered with a custom made cover from Paha Que. :thumbsup: ;)

I'll have to tidy up the cover a little bit, but you get the idea...

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:51 am

That’s VERY NICE !!!! :thumbsup: 8) :D :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:08 am

Mike , care to relate your opinions about the MD and Foamies in general .... since you have so much experience on the TTT subject , and are a credible witness... :thumbsup: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Talia62 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 am

WoodSmith wrote:Mike,

The Mad Dash looks great! It is a very sleek profile and really flows well with your TV.

As for a hard skin- I have recently done some testing of my own after much prodding by GPW. Not that it comes as any surprise to anyone, he is right. The chipboard skins make for one heck of a lightweight, hard surface. I used a couple of desk calendar blotter backers and glued them with TB2 to each side of a piece of 1" foam. Very nice. I measured them with my micrometer and they came in at 0.040" thick. I have not yet applied a coat of Themix (which is what I call GPW's concoction of cheap poly and mineral spirits) so it will only get harder as the fibers on the outside get fixed in place.

Uline will deliver a pallet of 250 pcs of 40" x 48" x 0.050" for $363. If you can find one or two buddies to split that with, you have a lot of chipboard to play with for a pretty good price.

Woodsmith

What about a really heavy Kraft paper, like maybe a 75-lb weight? Cheap, easy to find, comes on a big roll...
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Yes, yes !!! :thumbsup: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:17 am

Love your Foamie trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The color is awesome also. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. So glad that you got out for a trip in it and enjoyed it.

Do you plan on any trips this year in it? :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:38 pm

It is a Great job huh Eagle , and it only took how many years to convince him to try it .... :lol: :lol: :lol: " Foam will out !!! " :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Yea, it only took me how many years to get my arms around it... But I do like it, especially cause being so light it tows like a dream.

I'm starting to wonder if I am going to do another foamie... ???

I have a Winter Warrior in the portable garage that is too heavy...

I've always wondered if a vardo and foam would work well together? Maybe even mix a couple styles together? How about a teardrop vardo? Vardrop? Teardo? :lol:

Well it's still winter up here, and more snow on the way, so I can relax... Sit in front of the fireplace with a beer... not worry about it!!! :beer:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:20 am

Mike , Seems a traditional Vardo could be easily (and lightly) constructed , including the rounded roof ... A snappy decorative paint job would make it look “traditional" .. I’d imagine a Foamie' Vardo would be easy on the “horse” too ... :thinking: What design Vardo/Teardo did you have in mind ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:24 am

Whoa !!! A quick Google Search of Vardo trailers produced many Cool pictures and several different design styles ... Lots to think about ... :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:39 am

Popping already with ideas from just looking at the pictures ..... since you have a CNC machine you can easily cut out ribs 8) ... ( like the FoamStream) and frame that on a lower skeleton box frame , covered in Foam ... :thinking:
Remember how I cut out ovals in my ribs .... You could cut out little traditional decorative shapes ... hearts, flowers,stars... things that would also serve as place to hang things like a nice lantern. mirror , or wreath of garlic to keep the vampires away ..... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 am

Here’s a quick sketch of how you could make a round one bigger on the inside than the width of the trailer ... always a cool trick for more space ... and then there is the Beer Can trailer, somebody posted that a while back , same principle ... just thinking or possibilities ... :D
Attachments
beercan .jpg
beercan .jpg (157.1 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
vardofoam.png
vardofoam.png (38.98 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies