The Mad Dash begins...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Mad Dash begins...

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:20 am

Gary,

The WW is on the back burner while I do some more experimenting with different foamie techniques.

The current profile is something I created with a spline, trying to minimize the amount of sharp bends. Once I glue on the tails, I'll show you the profile.

Oh, btw, here are the tails...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:38 am

Mike
after I said that I hit me that you've got another 2 to 3 feet behind the wheels so it won't have a flat back end.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Whew! I got those hard edges cut. Now I'm too tired to glue them to the foam. :NC

But I promised you guys a picture, so here it is. I took the foam outside, and set the hard edges in place. You get the idea.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Nice.

That's one of the things I wish I had done from the beginning. Should have included a hard edge along the full profile. I don't think it is 100/ct necessary, but would go a long way to avoiding damages and easier to hold the profile during construction.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:55 pm

What is your hard edge made of ?
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Fred,

That's 1/2" sandy ply from HD. I don't think it's moisture resistant, so I am relying on the protective properties of of canvas and epoxy paint.

@KC, it gets better. I will be attaching the spars directly to the hard edges. The notches in the foam are strictly for locating the spars! ;)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Mike.

Very clever design married with your mad skills router table. I assume the 1/2 ply is inlaid into the rabbits you cut in the foam & does not stick out proud ? You could always pentrating seal the plywood with "the mix" before you cover with canvas - I would. When I did that, no trouble with TB II sticking at all although I did sand it and the foam as well. No real choice since my foam edges were all crooked and needed fairing or even GS to fill gaps. Might slow down your build a day or so since you want to let the mix air out a bit. Don't think that would hurt much.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 pm

LOL Fred, I see you've figured it out...

Yep, the ply is inlaid, and the spars go into the notches like shown here:

and the foam goes on top of the spars!!! :twisted:

Something similar (but different) happens on the bottom! ;)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Don't mean to be critical , but the love of epoxy paint has cost a few people their roofs .. (remember) It doesn't penetrate all the tubes , like the Mix does ... :roll:
We don't trust any wood in a trailer unless it's "treated' ... But then we're probably a bit more HUMID than you are ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:47 am

Oh, I am definitely going to use "the mix". I want to seal up the end grain before gluing it to the foam. I will also seal up the faces, since the glueup is going to be gg to foam, Also going to glue up the spars with gg, and reinforce it with a screw. Yea, I like double redundancy. Or is that triple redundancy after the canvas is glued on?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:17 am

just curious ... I can understand planned obsolescence ( don’t like it) But why can’t they make a sheet of plywood that doesn’t fall apart ? ... We can land on a comet , fly by Pluto , but can’t make a sheet of plywood that survives a little water.. :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 am

Wouldn't that be coroplast?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am

Coroplast would be fine if it held a screw , and had some real strength ,glued easily , didn’t decompose in the Sun in 5 years ... Maybe a thicker wall material ..
OSB , (the waterproof kind) seems to be a better choice for some things trailer (although it is very HEAVY ) and cheaper too .. And not that cheap -arse stuff they make RV floors out of ... One whiff of moisture , it turns to oatmeal ... We found we could even save that “stuff” (G. Carlin) with the mix , it soaked in the mix like a sponge ... once saturated , wouldn’t take any more ....Done !!! Mix worked a treat keeping water out and oatmeal contained .. :thumbsup: Figure if it can waterproof plain cardboard then what else ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby todd432 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Mike have you thought of using pressure treated (PT) for the spars? Home Cheepo has 1 x pt or even 5/4 pt ripped down to size.
No rot worry .
I know they make PT plywood but it's not to flat so not so good for the hard edges but .... might work on the floor.

I too plan on using my CNC to cut foam and wood for my Tear. looks like the bit melted the foam.
When I cut plastic on mine I have to slow the bit way down, my router could not go slow enough.
Now I have a spindle and can slow the bit speed down to 5000 rpm and still have the torque.
If your router is variable speed try the slowest setting and see what happens ( may have to slow your feed as well?)

Todd :thinking:
todd432
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Glenn,

There's always tradeoffs... if you were a scientist and could invent the perfect material, what would it be?

just for fun, here's a couple of my thoughts...
no wood, all those capillaries are so destructive
foam, while nice and light, has no density to speak of
aluminum has a nice density, but gets heavy fast
what if we combine foam molecules with aluminum molecules?
oh wait, there's also plastic
home depot sells a shed that is strong, light and plastic, but it"s not glueable
what if you combine wood molecules with plastic molecucles?
how about aluminum molecules and plastic molecucles? okay, that's my pick!!! Lets call it aluplastic
I'll bet you like alufoam better!!!
Lets design a teardrop around this stuff!!!

Mike

GPW wrote:Coroplast would be fine if it held a screw , and had some real strength ,glued easily , didn’t decompose in the Sun in 5 years ... Maybe a thicker wall material ..
OSB , (the waterproof kind) seems to be a better choice for some things trailer (although it is very HEAVY ) and cheaper too .. And not that cheap -arse stuff they make RV floors out of ... One whiff of moisture , it turns to oatmeal ... We found we could even save that “stuff” (G. Carlin) with the mix , it soaked in the mix like a sponge ... once saturated , wouldn’t take any more ....Done !!! Mix worked a treat keeping water out and oatmeal contained .. :thumbsup: Figure if it can waterproof plain cardboard then what else ...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies