The Mad Dash begins...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Mad Dash begins...

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 22, 2016 9:57 am

GPW, my interpretation was that Mike built to Chel's spec. She has a plan and he didn't ask too many questions(?).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun May 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Happy wife... Happy life
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 22, 2016 5:37 pm

So true!!!

Anyways, just to throw it out there... Chell's favorite teardrop was the Giant Teardrop... and I'm probably going to have to build another one of those someday...
But possibly in foam... :D

Mike...

Ned B wrote:Happy wife... Happy life
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 am

How “Giant” was it ??? Shouldn’t be difficult to make a big foamie like that . :thinking:
Note : after having and towing that 4000# “ultralight” commercial travel trailer , these Foamies at one quarter that weight (or less) are really nothing at all , just Featherweights, even the Big ones ... a real Joy to tow , you can’t even feel them back there ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 23, 2016 4:05 pm

It was like 6x12.

Yea, I don't expect it'll be that difficult to do. But I not ready to start it any time soon...

Mike...

GPW wrote:How “Giant” was it ??? Shouldn’t be difficult to make a big foamie like that . :thinking:
Note : after having and towing that 4000# “ultralight” commercial travel trailer , these Foamies at one quarter that weight (or less) are really nothing at all , just Featherweights, even the Big ones ... a real Joy to tow , you can’t even feel them back there ... :o
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:31 pm

So, progress on the Mad Dash continues this weekend...

The ceiling of the hatch was painted. Got the galley furniture installed... As you can see, we are making extensive use of baskets... (That was Gary's idea!) :R

I built a couple drawers, one for pots and pans, and one for silverware. Chell loves it! :thumbsup:

Next we'll need to re-focus on the interior...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:30 am

Just saying , we’ve seen local guerrilla restaurants carry less kitchen supplies ... :o Do you REALLY need all that ??? It IS Camping huh ???

Note: I must be very Old school, when we camped out and ate "camp food" , or the fish we caught ... One Pan ... one fork,knife,spoon ..  Guess “camping" has changed over the years ... :roll:
One thing we notice different is the idea of “Social Camping “ ... “Gatherings” ... We always camped to get AWAY from People .... back to Nature and all that ...

Burning Man , vs. Nowhere man ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:06 pm

I agree with you Glen, she's got a lot of stuff. We'll thin that out in the first few trips...

But you gotta admit I've got a lot of storage designed into the back end of that thing! :shock: :lol:

I, on the other hand would love to take my smoker, my gas grill, and my charcoal grill. Alas, there isn't THAT much room!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:46 am

Mike , I keep dreaming about the Mad dash as a kit , (short kit) with precut thin plywood (paneling, so it looks Nice ) walls that are cutaway for lightness yet have wood in the important places ... (CNC) Window frames , doors , “hard points “ all important parts precut and ready to be glued to foam and assembled ... Sorta’ IKEA Mad Dash flat pack :o ... You know , we’ve built model kits for many years and with the invention of the CNC cutters , parts now fit Exact , making any project a matter of simply following the build sequence . Success assured !!! :thumbsup: This would be just a bigger model , the only thing to cut is Foam , and that’s Easy ... ;)

Commercial potential considered .... :thinking: ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Okie dokie...

I think we are on the final stretch...

We connected the inside wiring today... look close. you might see a store bought surge protector with 5v USB plugs!

Next we mounted the tv board

And finally we mounted the TV. Last year we tried a 16" Flat Panel TV, but we couldn't see the screen unless we were directly in front of it. So this year we tried an upgrade. A 24" LED Flat Panel with a wide viewing angle. The boss loves it already! :thumbsup:

We'll do a dry run soon... I'll take pics and let you know how it turns out...

Meanwhile, I am done until the boss finds something she wants to change! :thinking:

Mike...

P.S. Opps, I spoke too soon. She says flies come in over the wall. So I have to find a way to block the wall... as you see in the first pic.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:01 pm

I added a shelf over the bed today... :D

I like the way it curves in towards the middle.

And yes, that's a 1 5/8" lip on the front to keep things from rolling off in the middle of the night...

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:49 am

Looking GOOD !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Nice but now it is 2 years later what does it look like on the outside 2 years latter the same, or you fixed things as they got dented?? got some update pictures??

You always do good work Mike!! :wine:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:18 am

It still looks great. I'll get some pictures this weekend! :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:24 am

Just Curious as to why a lot of people think that foam dents … Well it does and not that easily , but it also fixes itself … Funny after all these years now people still have strange ideas … :? Some will never believe !!
Mad Dash looks SUPER !!! :thumbsup: 8) :applause:

Mike , my wife likes the LARGER trailers too … Mine gets claustrophobic in smaller trailers ( she wouldn’t even get in the 4X8 once it was finished…) :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies