Sticky request: What's a foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sticky request: What's a foamie

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:32 pm

rowerwet wrote:Fiberglass is not self healing with heat like PMF and TBII.

Yeah, but don't you figure that FG will take a lot more abuse without causing that kind of damage in the first place? Just looking at the other side of the coin.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Based on what I see with my stitch and glue boats, fiberglass and epoxy is stiff to the point of brittle, similar to the wood it is made for. Foam, at least the hardware store insulation board, is soft and flexible.
I see the PMF flexing with the foam, even re-adhering under the iron's heat, while fg/epoxy will be retain the shape it cured too, once the bond layer of the foam shears, you may have a fiberglass shell with a delaminated core of foam.
I may just be off the wall though too :lol:
Even if my delaminated idea is true, it would still be held in place by doors, windows, lights, etc. Much like a floating aluminum skin.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:40 pm

JMHO , Fiberglass had better be fairly Thick to have the puncture strength people expect ... We fiberglassed wing joins for many years , over foam and balsa ... It was strong enough for air loads , but didn’t survive the crashing ... So as it relates to trailers , after being hit by the flying frozen turkey , the fiberglass will shatter and fly off the trailer going down the road at 125 Mph ... It’ll never work ... We tried to warn you ... :o

Just kidding !!! :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rogerdean » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 am

Hi all. Silly question perhaps, but can you sit against the wall inside a foamie? Where does the strength come from?
Cheers
Roger
Hard at work on a PVC squaredrop...
rogerdean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 am

Hi RD ...The Strength comes from the combination of fabric and foam … By themselves , not so strong , combined , they become a structural unit .
And Yes , you can lean against the wall ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 am

Yes you can lean against the inside wall. I would not kick at it, but a casual lean against yes. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 am

rogerdean wrote:Hi all. Silly question perhaps, but can you sit against the wall inside a foamie? Where does the strength come from?
Cheers
Roger

If there's no frame try not to, any creaking sounds is might likely de-laminating of foam & skin.
Hopefully you'll lean on a frame member.
I also wondered this but since my trailer is still on the drawing board I can add framing at "X" places.
(ADDED) I believe one nice thing with Foamies, repair(s) can be made with a needle injection of glue. Hardest part is finding the hidden problem.

___ADDITIONAL INFO___
If you are gluing up your own foam & skins, it might be a de-lamination occurring from repeated stresses, as you mentioned.
Unless you've worked in glue-up lamination's, homemade lamination's are a bit inferior.
I have worked in a few job-sites and was the usual go to guy for diagnosis & repair.

IF you have not started your build may I suggest inserting some lightweight cedar (or expensive balsa) framing. You'll need to sort through the stores pile to find what you're looking for in wood grain strength. Do stay away from the very wide grain wood, the winter rings are the woods strength. Think of it as natures plywood.

Last edited by fm-usa on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm

fm-usa wrote:
rowerwet wrote:The only "failure" of any note, happened when wind blew a over tall foamie up onto one wheel. The total damage was some scraped fabric, scuffed foam, and frayed nerves.

Ya, high winds is my main concern.
Don't need the Big Bad Wolf blowing the trailer over behind the bike.

The one trailer that blew over was being towed in high winds. Often, people are warned not to pull trailers in high winds, no matter the type. Also, the taller and longer the trailer, the more surface the wind has to push on; and thus, push it over. The person that was towing the trailer recognized the error for what it was, towing in high winds; and, the last I know, was still pulling a foamie trailer. I have seen large commercial trailers blown over in the wind; even semi trailer tractors are vulnerable to that and sometimes blow over. The responsibility to build and tow properly is that of the builder/driver. Should you decide on any type of trailer, we wish you the best.

I hope this puts the controversy to rest as this "sticky" was supposed to be about what a foamie IS, not what a foamie ISN'T.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:23 pm

I will be deleting a post or two or three, whatever it takes to keep this sticky on track. If the thread does not help for the topic it will be removed. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies