Bread-loaf build thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Bread-loaf build thread

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 pm

I like the finish too. I'm hoping to achieve the same rolled on finish that you did.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Me thinks he doth protest too much. Like the boy who cried wolf too often, I no longer believe all of the claims of missing talent. It looks really good! Like a swan emerged. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Well, thanks very much, I am more than satisfied but it really has quite a ways to go for that smooth professional fiberglass finish. If somebody was looking for that on a foamie, it takes more skills than mine.

Tomorrow I put on the final exterior finish coat; will use it for a while before adding any decorative second colors, murals from Nawlins, etc. After that I get busy connecting up all of the four 12 volt wiring circuits into the distribution blocs, LED lights, doors, fan, etc. Then a basic galley shelf, drop leaf shelves on doors, inside stuff eventually. Want to get it weather-tight first so we can get some weekend camping in this summer, Yaaayyyy !! :thumbsup:
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:11 am

It looks fine in the pictures and I wouldn't worry about it. If you are happy with it, that's what counts because you are building this for you, not for anyone else. Anyway, isn't there some sort of 4 foot rule on home-builds where if it looks good from 4 feet away, it's good?

It looks to me like you are doing a good job. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Fred Trout » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks, Sharon !!

Finished the first coat of exterior latex. This Glidden Premium (100% acrylic) is very nice paint; goes on smoother and covers better than other exterior paints I have used and the price is very reasonable. Just waiting an hour before I put the final coat on; need to do the backsides of the 3 doors tomorrow. Will post some pix later this afternoon after the second coat dries enough to stick the doors in place temp for the picture.

EDIT:

Pix in the sunshine so you can see all the warts
Attachments
Finish paint 6.jpg
Finish paint 6.jpg (102.71 KiB) Viewed 13091 times
Finish paint 4.jpg
Finish paint 4.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 13091 times
Finish paint 2.jpg
Finish paint 2.jpg (153.63 KiB) Viewed 13091 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:36 am

Looks GOOD !!!! 8) This is the time to consider a stripe or design on the trailer , that may serve as a DISTRACTION from the little things that nobody will notice anyway ... We’ve talked about that long ago ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks, GPW - yeah needs something but have not considered anything and will not until I finish getting it ready for a trial run or three.

Still have lots to do to get it weather-tight but it's coming along. Did the drip rails for window & door; partway done with light fixtures. Need to buy the Sika Pro stuff to mount the Fantastic Fan & Vent. Will be using the supplied gasket and sheet metal screws to mount to flashing along with that Sika Pro self leveling caulk. Also need to route the wiring - after finally checking which way the wiring comes out when pointing the opening to the back - the drivers side, will need to add wiring to reach the junction box - pain in the butt. Should have the front light done after the plywood stops absorbing "the mix" soon - probably have 4 coats on it so far, then mount the plywood to the foam w/ dry wall screws & the light fixture to the plywood.

The Fan open side does need to point to the back doesn't it (hinge side to front) ?

Anyway, on with the pix:
Attachments
Window drip rail.jpg
vinyl molding bends nice, screwed and glued on with caulk
Window drip rail.jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 13071 times
Door drip edge & light 2.jpg
likewise for the other side.
Door drip edge & light 2.jpg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 13071 times
Front light mount w mix.jpg
Front light mount w mix.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 13071 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Bus Bar & battery off switch will be mounted here

More pix:
Attachments
12 volt bus bars & fuse assembly.jpg
This setup was much cheaper than combo bus / fuse bars
12 volt bus bars & fuse assembly.jpg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 13068 times
Galley light.jpg
double light fixture should put out more light for cooking
Galley light.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 13068 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Finally caught up. :sweaty: Looking good, Fred! :thumbsup: :applause:

Soon you'll be smelling camp fire instead of wet paint.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks and yes, lots of pictures which makes it easy to understand how I did everything. There really have not been all that many basic foamies built recently so hopefully somebody will find it useful.

The build is good enough for me even if an ugly box shape. At least it will be if it doesn't leak, implode, or some other disaster :lol: :R I really am ready to start using it and stop building it. Builders fatigue has set in but not too much further to go.

- Picked up the Sika Pro caulk and sheet metal screws this evening so have all I need to do the fan tomorrow after I try to deal with the too short wires. Will open up the housing and see if I can move the wiring to the same side as it opens since that is where I put the 12V junction box and hole in the surround.

- also did an experiment to see if the bicycle inner-tube rubber can be glued with Gripper to the piano hinge to make mounting the hinge to the door easier. As long as it stays put while I am putting the screws into the frame, it will be a success. If it works, will paint the exposed portion to protect the rubber from UV.

- discovered I was painting the plywood with plain mineral spirits not the mix - DOH !! :oops: Hehe, have two coats of the right stuff on it now.

Enjoy all !
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Finished front LED install, passenger side door, Fantastic Vent.

Front LED needed to be mounted to 'mix' coated plywood and the plywood mounted with dry-wall-screws because the dry wall screws would not fit into the standoff tubes inside the LED fixture.

Fantastic Vent was supposed to be sealed with Sika Pro self leveling adhesive/sealant but this is a pain in the butt to use. You need to put several coats on because it spreads out like pancake batter partially exposing the surfaces needing sealing. Whoever decided that was a good idea and put that in the instructions on-line is just plain wrong. There is guaranteed to be a ton of better sealants that will do the job in one pass; make a note.

Installed the piano hinge with a bicycle tire inner-tube wrapped around it; tried to glue inner-tube in place with Gripper and it works well enough to stay put while installing. But it did take a while to dry and taping in place was required after paint application. Installed the piano hinge to door, then assembly to frame opening. Doing it the opposite way (frame first) was too difficult w/ one person alone. Lockset works decently and the plastic-door-open-retainer was installed as well. Door gives a satisfying clunk when closing & swings easily despite weighing a couple of pounds :R :lol:

Onward to rear doors; received the astragal for sealing the opening between the two doors today so great timing....

Pix:
Attachments
Front LED.jpg
Front LED.jpg (127.01 KiB) Viewed 13004 times
Fantastic Vent.jpg
Fantastic Vent.jpg (71.47 KiB) Viewed 13004 times
Door install completed 1.jpg
Door install completed 1.jpg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 13004 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Shar » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Looks great! Adding those finishing touches, like the roof vent, is so exciting. :thumbsup:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby Defib » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:48 am

Did you get to go camping in it yet? If so how was it?
Defib
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 am

Fred , what an outstanding job !!! Very NICE !!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies