Foamie truck camper build!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie truck camper build!

Postby tac422 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:25 pm

[quote="seanc"]I started out using bamboo skewers to hold the canvas in place but don't like the HUGE holes they leave in the canvas and foam /quote]

I used quilting straight pins, they are longer than regular straight pins, with a colored plastic ball head.
Found them at walmart.
tac422
500 Club

Postby seanc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 am

KCStudly - I think you're right. If the canvas is still pretty saturated and has a good grip on the foam, it will do the trick. It's going to be painted, afterall....
The stapler I used was something like this http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastener-T2 ... B00004Z2J9
Pretty lightweight. If you really press it into the foam it will leave a little indentation.

rowerwet - filling the outer weave with primer/paint makes sense. I keep thinking "It must be saturated with glue!!" to keep it waterproof, but obviously paint and primer will do the trick.

All day i've been having visions of water gushing through the roof and wood rotting out on my first night in this thing.... Get outta my head, crazy ideas!

I'm starting to consider paint options. From what I've read on here, just about ANYTHING will work. I need something burly enough to stand up to 50,000 miles of driving, but I don't need/want a super smooth, fancy high gloss finish (or the hours and hours of sanding!!!!).Some texture would be pretty cool. I'm thinking about primer then rolling on automotive paint. I'd love to hear opinions, I'm clueless about this part!
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:09 am

Exterior house paint is all you need, my first tear has its original paint job nearly six years later. It is painted canvas and lives outside year round
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:11 am

Seanc, that is a great creation. Can't wait to see what it will look like finished and installed. I like my TD, but, a small truck camper such as yours combined with a TD for sleeping quarters/outdoor galley would be so cool. Keep up the good work!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby seanc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:40 am

I'm going with gripper followed by exterior acrylic paint. It's cheap, dries fast, easily repairable/repaintable and I won't have to worry about "will this primer adhere to the surface??"

I'll be painting it all white. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should go with semi-gloss or hi-gloss? I figure the hi-gloss might better match the finish of the car, but it also might bring out the (numerous) imperfections in the surface.

I got three GALLONS of creamy sandstone/white for the interior for FREE. I'm also going to try to use it as glue to adhere some bedsheets to the roof... I've already used over 8 gallons of titebond and 26+ yards of canvas and I am DONE buying that stuff. :?

The last few days I've been filling and sanding the window cutouts, making some final test fits of the door and hardware, trimming the wall/roof edges and doing some interior work. I'm really eager to get a coat of gripper on and get rid of this awful yellow! I get very nervous and excited before every big step in the construction, whether its buying the foam, putting up the walls, putting on the canvas or laying down paint, it's exciting to take it to the next level!
(
IMG_1932smaller.jpg
IMG_1932smaller.jpg (198.28 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:55 am

Hi Gloss paint is easier to care for , doesn’t seem to get as dirty ... Trust me , you are the only one who will see any imperfections... No ONE else will guaranteed ... ;) Once it’s painted you’ll be Amazed how “pro" it looks !!! And then a couple simple stripes will really dress it up and serves to focus the eye away from anything you don’t want to be seen ...an alternative, a distraction ... Giving it a name and painting it in the usual trailer spots will really dress it up with little effort and expanse... :thinking:
It’s Looking REAL GOOD now ... Great Job Sean :thumbsup: 8) :D We can’t wait to see it all done and on the truck !!! :P
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Best plan on some marker lights ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Ive gone with semi gloss and it looks awsum on canvas.
Its still got a decent gloss level and will be easy to clean but im no realy big on high gloss finishes other than cars.
Love your work Sean it's looking great
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:40 pm

Love your work too, Sean. It is looking great! :applause: :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby seanc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Progress!

I feel like I can NEVER build fast enough. :frightened: Even when I'm LOVING what I'm getting. :)

Maiden voyage is October 4th, and there is no turning back. I'm headed from WA to CA and leaving the tools and workshop behind. its CRUNCH TIME.

IMG_1962smaller.jpg
IMG_1962smaller.jpg (145.68 KiB) Viewed 2484 times

Interior? What interior?? The inside is so far off the back burner it's not even luke warm.

IMG_1952smaller.jpg
IMG_1952smaller.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 2484 times

Eventually, the inside will be canvased and painted a light color, the wood will be stained, there will be cushions, and there will be a very simple 20x24" countertop on each side.

IMG_1957smaller.jpg
IMG_1957smaller.jpg (154.9 KiB) Viewed 2484 times

Tonight I tackle the skylight.... I've got some crazy ideas, we'll see what happens!
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby seanc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Also, using zinc/galvanized/stainless screws in exterior aluminum???? My knowledge of chemistry tells me this is a horrible idea, but I don't know a better solution (other than serious adhesive). Any advice/real life experience/opinions welcome!
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Stainless.

Camper is looking great! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am

This is a cool camper, looking great outside with canvas and I bet it is light!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:36 pm

KCStudly wrote:Stainless.

Camper is looking great! :thumbsup:

+1! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby seanc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 am

Did some work on the skylight/hatch.

My first plan was to bolt the 1/4" plexiglass down and seal it with marine adhesive. I did a little math (boooooo) and realized a 4 ft span of plexi will shrink/contract almost a quarter of an inch during a 100 degree temperature change. I thought this would be too much for any silicone or sealant to handle so I decided to use a rubber gasket and realized I may as well make the whole thing removable. MUCH better for ventilation AND if it does leak I have to break any permanent/semi permanent seals to check it out

So I fashioned a frame of sorts to rest on top of the plexi.

IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG (111.56 KiB) Viewed 2398 times

There are gaps in the wood to keep water from pooling on top. The zig-zag pattern is partly aesthetic, partly to minimize the amount of frame that obstucts light coming through the glass. There will be carriage bolts dropping from the zig zags through the glass into the cabin

IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG (125.55 KiB) Viewed 2398 times

I made some brackets for the inside. (WOW THIS TOOK FOREVER. WHY CAN'T I AFFORD TO JUST BUY THIS STUFF.)

IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG (64.02 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies