after a long pause, it's time to start building

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: after a long pause, it's time to start building

Postby Bob Hammond » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Agreed, that people try to be helpful here. That's why I come here for advice.

And when one reads or writes, it's important to remember that one can not see other persons' faces, and that the choice of words may be different than what one usually hears. Since I was a research scientist, I usually try to write plainly and with fewer words, and little or no exaggeration. In person, I'm quite a bit different.
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Here's some progress on the mortise & tenon joints of the deck frame. . You might notice that I've clamped the rails in the workmate. This protects from blowing out the mortise while fitting the tenon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:11 pm

if the weather holds, maybe I can glue up tomorrow. The glue-up requires a couple of practice runs, to be sure that all parts fit and align square and level, and that all necessary tools and clampling apparatus are at hand.

Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:49 am

The glueup went easily.

First, I placed two old 75" steel bedrails in the workmates (two workmates are much handier than one!) and carefully leveled them with a digital level. Then i laid the straightest cedar 2x4s across them, and then wrapped them in plastic to prevent gluing the deck frame to the 2x4s. i then dry-fitted the crossmembers into the mortises of one rail, and then for the other side a daughter helped to spread glue, insert the tenons into the mortises, and then measure the diagonals to ensure squareness. After the first rail was glued up, the second rail went easily also. A check with my digital level shows that one crossmember is 0.1d off-level, but the rest are level. After two big thunderstorms in two days, the frame is still straight, square, and level.

As it is now, the cedar 2x2 grid weighs ~50lbs. Now I'm thinking about routing a ledge around the spaces of the frame to fit the the 1" rigid insulation flush to the surface of the 2x2s. After that, i'll probably skin the top with a quality underlayment and then canvas the entire frame.

I can't do much more work until the trailer chassis comes back from the shop. I had decided that the chassis might need some reinforcement to the tongue, and so I took it to a professional builder. He really liked my homebrew Harley strut/spring suspension, and estimated that after the modifications it would easily carry 1500lbs. Aside from adding the reinforcements, he also offered to weld all of the bolted joints and the jack for $240, labor and materials.
Attachments
IMG_20160710_112840.jpg
IMG_20160710_112840.jpg (232.58 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:31 pm

brackets.jpg
14ga joist hangers for attachind the deck to the chassis
brackets.jpg (198.43 KiB) Viewed 856 times
I picked up the modified chassis from the welder. To reiterate, he attached 2" tubes from the platform frame to the tongue, and welded all of the corners. He liked the homebrew Harley-Davidson strut suspension and estimated that it could carry 1500 lbs. He told me to bring it back when I'm done to add some niceties, such as welding the jacks and the coupler, and adding light & license brackets.

I attached the cedar deck frame with 14ga. joist hangers, with 5/16 stainless steel bolts into the frame and appropriately treated screws into the longitudinal cedar spars. Although the deck became very stiff after I glued in the foam panels, the forward end flexed more than I liked, and so I made another cedar crossmember and tied it to the deck frame and chassis tubes. (more pics to come). The total weight is now about 270 lbs.
Attachments
chassis - Edited.jpg
chassis as done by the welder
chassis - Edited.jpg (691.54 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Nice !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 am

Here I'm part-way through filling in the deck spaces with foam panels that stiffen the deck a great deal. I see now that I could put in footwells in the third space from the rear, either fixed or as a trapdoor. This would allow a comfortable sitting position. But I think I'll put that idea away for now.

Question: Do I really need to place a plywood deck on top of the frame? Or would glued canvas be stiff enough, considering that the place will be almost entirely covered by the 60x80" mattress?

About the tools -

The Japanese pullsaw (Vaughan-Bushnell BS265M Pull Stroke Handsaw $25) is very useful for precision cuts and trimming of wood and foam. I have also cut 10ft lengths of 1/4" lexan plastic and 3/4' ply with this saw. They are extremely sharp and make excellent finish cuts. In comparison, the Harbor Freight version is not nearly as good, but it is ok for rough cuts. I won't buy the HF one again.).

Between the saw and the handplane (another useful instrument) is a sawguide (Vaughan 569-00 BS/G Bear Saw Perfect Saw Guide) that guides the saw for both bevel and miter cuts. It's pricey at ~$100 but I was fortunate to get an 'open box' return for $25. It works quite well indeed, and may be worth the $100.

The handplane (a Sargent Hercules 4-1/2 size) slices away gorilla glue blobs with ease, and scarifies the foam. It does not blow dust everywhere, and I think it may good for preparing the foam for the canvas covering.

By the way -- >when handsawing or handplaning wood, things will go much much easier if the tool surfaces are clean, shiny, and have been waxed with bit of candle or paraffin wax< This makes a huge difference.
Attachments
chassis2.jpg
infilling with foam panels, and tools.
chassis2.jpg (942.3 KiB) Viewed 909 times
foamprep.jpg
scarifying the foam with the handplane
foamprep.jpg (164.76 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 am

Interesting method of adding extra gluing area ... :o :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 am

Cool.

Wax is a good tool lube but makes for terrible glue adhesion.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 am

The wax used on the tools has never ever been a problem for me. I think it is mostly absorbed into the dust and shavings. After planing with a very sharp handplane, it's occasionally necessary to roughen the surface with sandpaper for gluing.

It took me a long time to appreciate the utility of handplanes, but for non-factory woodwork they can be very efficient in removing material, fitting joints, and general smoothing. It's necessary to learn how to sharpen, when to sharpen, and how to set and adjust the plane, but they require very little maintenance, parts, no electricity, are very portable, and occupy very little space. For most common household work, a yardsale Stanley No.4 can do 80% of all work, and a No. 60-1/2 can do most of the fine trimming.

Ditto for the Japanese pullsaws - my handheld skilsaw almost never comes off the shelf anymore.
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm

It seems that I have created a situation for myself. I thought that I'd upend the chassis to inspect it and paint where the new tubes were welded on to frame, and maybe paint the underside of the deck. That wasn't necessarily a bad or a good idea. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and so I picked it up by the tongue and did the Iwo Jima maneuver (with a respectful remembrance of the USMC).

But bringing it back down might be more excitement than I want. A fractured skull, collarbone, or foot would not improve my personality. It's time to go find a helpful neighbor or two, or rig up the come-along,. Image

Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 am

Yes. do please be careful !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am

Is that suspension going to induce trailer sway?

With the axle attached to both sides and short swing arms I would suspect that setup could generate a lot of sway.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bob Hammond » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:51 am

When it was a boat and utility trailer, it tracked very well and without swaying. The struts appear to be in good shape, both the adjustable springs and the shocks within. I'll have a look at the spring adjustments again after all is completed and test-driven (on a quiet Sunday morning) The trailer builder considered the sway issue, but thought that it won't likely be a problem, but that is yet to be demonstrated with a cabin on it. If it becomes a problem, I can change the suspension back to the original design, or unbolt the cabin from the chassis and move it to another trailer (or plant the cabin on fixed stilts somewhere upstate for a season or two).

About lowering it back to the horizontal position, a neighbor came over and we got it down easily. He was surprised at how light the trailer is so far. He has a business delivering new vehicles for 200-500 mile distances using his F-350 dually pickup and a fifthwheel 3-4 car trailer. There is enough space in front of the trailer chassis for me to build a teardrop-sized sleeper cabin for him, and he's thinking it over.
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:41 pm

The deck is done, and I just received a shipment of 11.5oz artist's canvas from Big Duck. Here I'm shrinking the 84"x 7yd piece for the top on the hot driveway, underneath breathable black landscape cloth. It's pretty toasty today for Michigan (90F) and so I think it will be hot enough to shrink the canvas under the landscape cloth. Today or tomorrow I'll shrink the 60"x7yd piece for the sidewalls. The cost of the canvas including shipping was $108.

Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies