Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 pm

What kind of paint did you use? It cracked at joints due to flex and yes water will get past it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Sherwin williams exterior house paint on top of armor coat porch and floor paint. But the canvass delaminated from the wood, thats why the paint cracked...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:24 pm

It let loose due to too much movement. You have 2 unsupported boxes right now that can flex entirely too much. Then you forced it all to flex even more for transport. All the cracks are at joints because thats where it can move the most.

I would wait until the rest of the trailer is about done so those walls are correctly supported then paint over those. Possibly inject some glue under the canvas first and press it to help it re-adhere.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:13 am

Sorry , no way we can see those TOO BIG a photos …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 am

Did you use the reinforcing strips along the joins as we originally suggested … ?

You know , backyard engineering is a curious thing …. If you follow others lead and something goes wrong , you can blame them , but if you do it all by only what you think , you only have yourself to blame … :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 am

GPW wrote:Did you use the reinforcing strips along the joins as we originally suggested … ?

You know , backyard engineering is a curious thing …. If you follow others lead and something goes wrong , you can blame them , but if you do it all by only what you think , you only have yourself to blame … :roll:

Yes.
Pretty sure nothing i have done here is new.
And i only have myself to blame for not building with plywood, being done last year and camping this year.

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 am

Plywood … 57lb/ cu. ft. Foam 2lb/cu.ft. Yes you could have built with plywood … :thinking: And when the paint cracked it would rot the wood underneath and delaminate the ply … If a foamie leaks , nothings rots , except all the wood you used … Foam doesn’t … Don’t believe me , prove it to yourself … ;) Apologies , I don’t mean to be Critical , it’s just you’ve come so far , and now a minor problem shouldn’t set you back …
Sorry we couldn’t view your pictures … Just TOO BIG … posting too big a pictures , doesn’t do anybody any good … If we can’t see what actually happened , we can’t suggest a cure … but I’d suggest if the canvas didn’t stick to the wood , you did something WRONG …. Canvas sticks to wood better than it does to Foam , ( using wood glue ) What did you use … ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:44 am

GPW wrote:Plywood … 57lb/ cu. ft. Foam 2lb/cu.ft. Yes you could have built with plywood … :thinking: And when the paint cracked it would rot the wood underneath and delaminate the ply … If a foamie leaks , nothings rots , except all the wood you used … Foam doesn’t … Don’t believe me , prove it to yourself … ;) Apologies , I don’t mean to be Critical , it’s just you’ve come so far , and now a minor problem shouldn’t set you back …
Sorry we couldn’t view your pictures … Just TOO BIG … posting too big a pictures , doesn’t do anybody any good … If we can’t see what actually happened , we can’t suggest a cure … but I’d suggest if the canvas didn’t stick to the wood , you did something WRONG …. Canvas sticks to wood better than it does to Foam , ( using wood glue ) What did you use … ?

Sure, but my walls are .87cuft per linear foot and plywood would have been .146.
Plus the wood i had to add, canvass, glue, 75pounds of paint... all adds up. Since i started i have discovered that aerodynamics matters far, far more than weight.
I dont exactly have a camera with less megapixels to go take a photo with. No issues viewing it on my phone, my normal issue on a computer is photos are too small so i have to right click and open them in another tab. Not sure if thats works for large ones but if not i guess im done with photos. Photobucket killed all my previous ones and imgur is a huge pain to use.
Yes i know canvass sticks quite well to wood. Its been stuck on there for 8 months and 2 previous trips like what i just did. Only difference this time is it was probably fully dried and i strapped it tighter and had a brace fall out just over an hour into my hour and a half drive with it.
I used tb2 thinned less than 5%

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Curious ??? Wish I lived closer to see it uo close.

75 # of Paint … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 pm

GPW, try using your Ctrl and - (minus sign) keys together. I was able to zoom out and see the oversize pics.

Nothing too scary.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

75lbs of paint, how???

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Tigris99 wrote:75lbs of paint, how???

Well its 10-11 pounds per gallon, thats only 7 gallons. Maybe that was only the top half that took 70 pounds, lol. I cant remember. But pmf takes a ton of paint and i have a lot of square footage.

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 am

Dan, is that BEFORE it’s dry ? Acrylic paint does lose weight as the solvent ( water) evaporates .

KC, Thanks , I was anxious to have a look .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:59 am

Saw the pics ( Thanks KC) … not so bad ! Read this : “ I strapped the box to the frame and towed it to where i work to bolt it down “ Makes me wonder if the straps did this ? We don’t strap foam !!! :o

I’d just rub a little primer on those , give it a paint touch up and be on my way …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:51 am

GPW wrote:Dan, is that BEFORE it’s dry ? Acrylic paint does lose weight as the solvent ( water) evaporates .

KC, Thanks , I was anxious to have a look .

Yes, i mentioned all the weights of different parts of this trailer in post #29. The sherwin williams paint is only half solids but the porch and floor paint had a much higher solids content.

GPW wrote:Saw the pics ( Thanks KC) … not so bad ! Read this : “ I strapped the box to the frame and towed it to where i work to bolt it down “ Makes me wonder if the straps did this ? We don’t strap foam !!! :o

I’d just rub a little primer on those , give it a paint touch up and be on my way …

Yes, i thought i had made it more clear in that post you quoted, but i know the cracking is from strapping it down. I figured this was more common, the straps never touched the foam, just went over top of the 2x2 uprights of the frame. Paint cracked at the joints of the 2x2's. Isnt it more common that people need to move their foam builds in the year or 2 they spend working on them?
The canvass delaminated so i think ill do what tigris said below and inject glue underneath. It may not dry because of the paint though... :/

Tigris99 wrote:It let loose due to too much movement. You have 2 unsupported boxes right now that can flex entirely too much. Then you forced it all to flex even more for transport. All the cracks are at joints because thats where it can move the most.

I would wait until the rest of the trailer is about done so those walls are correctly supported then paint over those. Possibly inject some glue under the canvas first and press it to help it re-adhere.

So here are some photos. Made water tank brackets, welded on those jacks, brought the lower half back to where i work on the trailer, then bolted it down last night.
However i have a new problem. The trailer frame bows down at the back. I put the 4 corners of the trailer on jackstands to drill the holes through the box and bolt it down. When the bolts were tight the top of my door opening was 1/8inch narrower than the bottom. But when i took the jackstands out the frame pulled back down a bit and because its not supported all the way across the back the top of the door opening is now 1inch narrower than the bottom :/
Last photo is of it bolted down.

Last edited by dancam on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dancam
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies