Foamie cabinets

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie cabinets

Postby Xanthoman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am

I would imagine a prime coat would be best. I would let that dry then do the wet embedding with the fiber mat. Then do a top coat. Also, his overwrap the edges with the mat and decoupage system which should tie it all together, not just side panels where edges easily peel off laminate layers. The other big issue I would see is if the unit went under a lot of flexing weakening the interface area causing delamination. I have not done one of these yet, but I would imagine the polyurethane impregnating also helps to solidify the unit. I have never used gripper, but Zinsser Bullseye is my primer of choice as I have seen it dry in puddles to a tough and hard material and will be using that on my build. Hope that helps!
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 pm

coyote wrote:I need to be told where I failed on this. I watched the 2nd video a couple years ago, bought fiberglass screen roll, Gripper paint and blue insulation board from big box store. Made 2- 2'X4' pieces. During warm weather, I cut blue board, cut screen, rolled Gripper paint on the board, laid screen over it, pressed in place, rolled Gripper over it, allowed drying time, repainted with roller. During the I was building (2 years plus/minus a bit) it delaminated. I have 2 pieces of white screen and 1 foam board, in each case. I tried to "etch" (rough sand) the surface of the blue board and try again....I think it sounds great, and I have updates I would use this on if I could make it work. Seemed too well done, to be a hoax (and why?) and seems other peeps have done this. Does anyone have suggestions/ideas to help me correct? Thanks, Coyote

I plan on testing some of this method also. After reading your experience and the 'total' of what I have read elsewhere...

Can you detail your surface preparation? Did you 'wash' the surface with anything like alcohol after the rough sanding? Could it be dust on the surface under the gripper that caused delam? Could it have been the gripper was gripping the dust or something else?

Can you be specific as to how long it took for you to find the delam?

Looking at all the possible variables.....the condition of the surface of the foam, and the condition of the surface of the screen....how was the screen stored before use? Was any attempt made to prepare the screen? I wonder what alcohol would do to the screen? (the screen I have on hand is still in the shrink wrap, of course that doesn't mean that it is clean)....

I am not very knowledgable on paint/glue ....just light amateur use....any of my previous successes have been purely accidental.....my comments/questions come from the need to build once and get some use out of whatever I wind up with....so I am curious about others success and failures also.

Craig
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Xanthoman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Brilliant point on washing the screen. In composites the fiberglass and carbon fibers are coated with a primer type substance called sizing. It helps the matrix (resin/paint/cement) bind to the fibers. I would think since the fiberglass screen material isn’t designed for lay up it may be sizing free. You could try rolling/spraying primer on the screen and letting it dry and then using it. However, I would just nix the screen material and go with regular fiberglass cloth. 2oz boating cloth I bet would do wonders I bet and is super cheap. fiberglasssite.com has the best prices. Admittedly primer may be too thick for good impregnating of the cloth so possibly just using a polyurethane would do the trick. I will be using epoxy for my build so will have some on hand anyhow and use that, but would recommend that for folks who want the best appearance and strongest bonding.
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 am

I'm wondering if many using the pink or blue foam don't realize you have to pull the plastic sheeting that is glued to it on the outside before you use it with any surface gluing???? That plastic sheeting is very slick compared to the cells of the foam.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 am

Interesting ideas here! I've seen foam-laminate cabinetry used in boat building before.

I've tried a somewhat similar technique: vacuum pressing 1/8-inch BB plywood skins atop a 3/4-inch 25psi foam core with a hardwood rail-and-stile perimeter. Worked fine, but it was a lot of work.

Currently, if I'm concerned about cabinetry weight, I'll do two things. I'll switch to Lite Ply plywood, which is an all-poplar plywood about 40% lighter than standard veneer-core plywood. Then, where possible, I'll downsize: from 3/4-inch to 1/2-inch thickness, from 1/2-inch to 3/8-inch, etc. By strategically placing reinforcements, such as hefty battens on slab cabinet doors, the occasional cross-brace on a wall, or 1x joist under a shelf/counter, I can substantially reduce weight and preserve strength without resorting to more exotic solutions.

I know, I know! What you guys are doing IS much cooler 8) And it does weigh less. But if you don't need to conserve every pound, Lite Ply plywood is a worthwhile option.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby coyote » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Well, I did not peel the plastic coating off! I did wrap over the sides. I'll try again. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:Interesting ideas here! I've seen foam-laminate cabinetry used in boat building before.

I've tried a somewhat similar technique: vacuum pressing 1/8-inch BB plywood skins atop a 3/4-inch 25psi foam core with a hardwood rail-and-stile perimeter. Worked fine, but it was a lot of work.

You can save a lot of that trouble if you use 3M's water based contact cement total glue-up of the skins and would save time and trouble not having to do vacuum pressing. It's no voc and so easy to use and quite good. It was made a gazillion years ago to laminate formica countertops and is pricey but works so very good. I think it's 30nf the number meaning formula 30 non flammable.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:Interesting ideas here! I've seen foam-laminate cabinetry used in boat building before.

You can save a lot of that trouble if you use 3M's water based contact cement total glue-up of the skins and would save time and trouble not having to do vacuum pressing. It's no voc and so easy to use and quite good. It was made a gazillion years ago to laminate formica countertops and is pricey but works so very good. I think it's 30nf the number meaning formula 30 non flammable.

True, you don't need a vacuum press. I use 3M Fastbond 30NF - which is their premium water-based contact cement, as you've pointed out - quite a bit. I have about 5 gallons in my shop right now :) Vacuum pressing ensures an excellent long-term bond, though, and it results in a flatter and more stable door or panel. A DIY builder could forego the vacuum press and just use a pressure roller on small projects, though.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Where do you source your 30NF from? In podunk Texas it's not on any shelves pretty much. I've got a bug up my butt to try the water based spray plastic soon and see what I come up with finish wise. I've used FRP and aluminum both and like the aluminum finish but its weight and very scratch prone as I'm sure you've found out building all you've built.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:40 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Where do you source your 30NF from? In podunk Texas it's not on any shelves pretty much. I've got a bug up my butt to try the water based spray plastic soon and see what I come up with finish wise. I've used FRP and aluminum both and like the aluminum finish but its weight and very scratch prone as I'm sure you've found out building all you've built.

Yup - I hear you! I've recently switched from aluminum exterior to a urethane bedliner coating and I've never looked back! And here in podunk Utah, nobody local stocks 30NF either. You can get a gallon for $100 on Amazon or a 5-gallon bucket from Grainger for about $350. I'm commercial, so I get other deals ... If you're coating porous plywood, like lauan, it's good to plan for two light coats.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Urethane bedliner that would be smooth and rubbery right? What brand are you using as that sounds intriguing and how much coverage do you get?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:28 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Urethane bedliner that would be smooth and rubbery right? What brand are you using as that sounds intriguing and how much coverage do you get?

Not to hijack the thread :p but here's a thread with both of those answers: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=70188
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Wonder how that would coat over the sculpt coat. That would be needed to transition from foam and stay away from a wood layer. I'm shooting for light with a very nice finish and still durable. Epoxy glass is way too much work and my goal is to get a finish with minimal effort and cost combined. I think the plastic and the bedliner would yourself spectacular results with little cost over canvas. Plus pull with a 4 cylinder TV with ease.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:34 pm

And I think these coatings would make for great interior counters and cabinets as well.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:22 am

Steve, I can’t help but think that the Coatings , plus a “fiber” ( fiberglas, Spectra , Kevlar) would be the “ticket” … Sorta like those concrete finishes with fiberglass fibers ( dry stack masonry ) … but Much more flexible using the coatings as a binder … Sprayed on, that would be pretty Cool …
Too bad we don’t have a Factory where we could get the campers injection moulded like those foam ice chests , then sprayed with a coating inside and out and stuck on a trailer … Hey presto , out pops a Foamie !! :D ( the Magic of mass production) They probably would be inexpensive to make in large numbers… and with good design(s) any number of things could be added to it … cabinets , windows , doors, hatches … etc. :thinking: A practical idea , just EXPENSIVE to start up …

I keep thinking how they made that moulded Foamie sailboat we used so sucessfully many years ago … Only difference, it had a thinly moulded plastic skin , made it TOUGH ( kids use :frightened: )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies