A more durable Foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A more durable Foamie?

Postby rruff » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:28 am

ghcoe wrote:Every build technique is going to be a compromise. It just depends on what you want to compromise.

Always a compromise, the trick is to optimize! I'm happy to spend more money and time and add weight in the pursuit of greater durability. Within reason!

I'm not going to go bashing through tree limbs if I can avoid it. But I know I'm going to encounter some because my rig is taller than most that make it into the boonies. Heck I'm going to have solar on the roof so I need to be careful about what I run into. I figured that if I kept the solar in the center of the roof it wouldn't be too vulnerable.

I've done some more reading about Styrospray and encountered the issues mentioned about humidity. If it's too dry it just doesn't cure properly. I don't think it's for me, but if someone else wants to play with it, it might be very useful for some.

My comfort level keeps bringing me back to what I did before. The panels had solid wood edges, with a fiberglass layer over it that was very tough. No problem with branches. Or flying turkeys :frightened: . Seems like any edge that just has foam underneath will be far more susceptible, no matter what the exterior is.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 am

You guys need to ask the people with Foamies who have travelled Thousands and thousands of miles .... I believe all this Fear is just cautionary speculation ... that’s like an alternative fact ... or a WAG ... :roll: ... :lol:

Somehow , I just can’t imagine , good folks with Aluminum covered or Wooden TD’s with fine paint jobs /decorations , drivng through any dangerous conditions that would harm theirs , or their car towing it ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:42 am

We just started a thread in the general section , asking about their “durability” issues... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67786
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:29 pm

I just can’t imagine , good folks with Aluminum covered or Wooden TD’s with fine paint jobs /decorations , drivng through any dangerous conditions

Sometimes It's the road that's the hazard...

And sometimes it's the destination...

:shock: But it's all good.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 pm

rruff wrote:I'm not going to go bashing through tree limbs if I can avoid it. But I know I'm going to encounter some because my rig is taller than most that make it into the boonies. Heck I'm going to have solar on the roof so I need to be careful about what I run into. I figured that if I kept the solar in the center of the roof it wouldn't be too vulnerable.

Here is my solution to tall branches in a mobile environment. Pole saw and a power inverter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-elec ... 62896.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/750-watt-c ... 66817.html
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 am

ghcoe wrote:
rruff wrote:I'm not going to go bashing through tree limbs if I can avoid it. But I know I'm going to encounter some because my rig is taller than most that make it into the boonies. Heck I'm going to have solar on the roof so I need to be careful about what I run into. I figured that if I kept the solar in the center of the roof it wouldn't be too vulnerable.

Here is my solution to tall branches in a mobile environment. Pole saw and a power inverter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-elec ... 62896.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/750-watt-c ... 66817.html

What you need is a bigger inverter and to mount a saw on each side of your vehicle. Leave em running so they chop down anything bad while your driving.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:32 am

I’d think you wouldn’t want to drive anywhere you’d hurt your tow vehicle ... Cars and trucks are Expensive and more so to get scratches and dents fixed ... I guess it’s all about the type of camping you like to do ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Glenn not everybody goes glamping lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:I've been using Styrospray 1000 for years and considered it for my foamie. I think it will work just fine and if you want a smooth, shiny surface on your trailer, it's cheaper than glass and epoxy. I'll tell you it's extremely sensitive to the climate in your shop. Don't even think about using it if it's below 65F or below 50% humidity. It cures by contact with moisture in the air. In fact, you can mix the two parts, put them in a sealed container and they will never cure (they will thicken so don't mix more than you need and expect to use it the next day.)

It is definitely NOT water based. You clean things up by throwing them away! I suppose you can clean the hopper gun by letting the SS cure and peeling it off.

It does have a smell to it so don't use it indoors.

Several coats, 30-60 minutes apart will probably be needed; it will run on vertical surfaces if it's too thick. I bag and put my tools in the freezer between coats.

In your use of Styrospray 1000. How much you expect it would take to cover a 5x9 TD inside and out?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

The humidity thing can be manipulated for it setting up. Just create moisture in your air.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby rruff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:42 pm

A double layer of 10oz canvas certainly helps the "hole poke" resistance, but I think it is still shy of 2.7mm luan, which would be getting an additional layer of glass and resin if I used it. Or maybe a layer of PMF?

PMF is really awesome stuff to work with compared to many toxic or itchy materials.
Last edited by rruff on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby rruff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:The humidity thing can be manipulated for it setting up. Just create moisture in your air.

Any ideas? For Styrospray seems like I'd need a heavy duty humidifier and a sealed room to keep humidity >50%. I think that would be tough in the garage, if it was even practical because of fumes.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby rruff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm

dancam wrote:What you need is a bigger inverter and to mount a saw on each side of your vehicle. Leave em running so they chop down anything bad while your driving.

:thumbsup: Would be useful in traffic as well!
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Misters for patios and summer. Out West here can find a swamp cooler and use it

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 am

Years ( and years ) ago my Father brought home some Epoxy based coating used on offshore Oil platforms ... it was yellow , thick , and tough as nails... i’d bet something like that would work as a tough outer skin ... Being epoxy it shouldn’t hurt the foam ... But I’ll bet it was EXPENSIVE ... :o

Trying to use some type of Logic here, we’ve seen “surface bonding cement” which is a cementous product for masonry , that has fiberglass strands in it which gives it tremendous strength ... now maybe some epoxy with fiberglass strands added to it would make a tough outer skin ... Just an idea ...

And just saying , on the FoamStream , the areas where the 18oz. canvas was doubled ... it was Very Difficult to cut through even with a razor sharp utility knife ... not much that harms that except those darn fire ants who have chewed tiny holes through all that to spend the winter in the FS .... grrrrr !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies