Medieval Tudor House Foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Medieval Tudor House Foamie

Postby ghcoe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 pm

For me I would stay away from fold up, slide out or push up designs. For me it is just many areas to try and get to seal right. Whether it be hot/cold air, dust, water or bugs the less areas that they can get in the better...... :thumbsup: I would just build like you originally wanted and use the wing on the Bronco to push the air over the roof line. Why build the trailer with aerodynamics that you don't want when you can just add a devise to the TV that does the same thing? :thinking:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby joyofweaving » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 am

I absolutely agree 100% to stay away from fold out, pop up, slide-out. I never wanted any of that right from the beginning but old man wants a "low profile" for whatever reason and can't stand the slanted roof. Says it's too weird looking. He's insisting that if we make it fold down that he can make it seal (I guess he knows something you guys don't know :roll:).

It's taller than the Bronco by about 1'9". We'll see about getting something to put on the Bronco and keeping with the original design. That makes the most sense. I suggested this to him and he's insisting that even with something on top of the Bronco that we'd still need air deflection on the front of the trailer.

...really? :NC
You have to be warped to weave.
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby joyofweaving » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 am

Doing much research on wind deflectors. Husband told me Myth Busters did several episodes about them and how they're not effective and from this site, unless the deflector is *really close* to the towed trailer, it is a complete waste of money. Not only that, the cost of gas savings, if any, isn't enough to make up for the $$$$ spent on one of these things.

It's better to have the wind deflection on the trailer. We'll come up with something.

https://rvtravel.com/rv-wind-deflectors ... nt-use-em/
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby CanuckShooter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 pm

If I were you, I'd just go with your first design and not worry about it being a little higher than the tow vehicle, looking at it front on it would only be a small triangle.. I have an old slide in camper riding on a flat deck and drag it several hundred miles on hunting trips, sure I can tell it's there, and I use more gas but it's not that bad. But you said you won't be towing long distances so perhaps your putting more into aerodynamics than is necessary.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 pm

CanuckShooter wrote:If I were you, I'd just go with your first design and not worry about it being a little higher than the tow vehicle, looking at it front on it would only be a small triangle.. I have an old slide in camper riding on a flat deck and drag it several hundred miles on hunting trips, sure I can tell it's there, and I use more gas but it's not that bad. But you said you won't be towing long distances so perhaps your putting more into aerodynamics than is necessary.

The problem comes because she wants to build it out of foam. Not anywhere near as strong as the wood frame and sheetmetal covering of a truck camper.

:beer:
<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:01 am

There have been some pretty big ones built of all foam and they seem to hold up well enough, easy as well to ask the guys in the foamy section for their opinion.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby bonnie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 am

There are at least three standy foamies. There are a lot more smaller ones. Plus, there's at least two truck toppers/campers out there. They are all in use. Think of this method as what it is--a basic sip panel construction. Strong because of the sum of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm

JMHO, the hip roof seems to be a good compromise less wind resistant than the gable end ... All that properly reinforced should make a delightful trailer ... and you can always slow down a bit if you’re worried ... Towing has a purpose , leave early , drive carefully ... arrive ready to have Fun ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gator417 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm

I like the hipped roof idea as well. You will lose just a bit of headroom inside, but still the best compromise.
I also liked the idea someone had about a rounded chimney up front. No idea how you would do that, but it would be neat. You could put a hatch on it and use it as your kitchen box.
This is a great project, unique idea &very creative. I think a lot of us are looking forward to seeing it happen. When you start using this, you'll be the talk of the towne. So please keep us posted on your build.
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Postby joyofweaving » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Unfortunately, I couldn't get the old man to see to my way of thinking and making it a "standie" and he's insisting that it fold. Which means set-up and I'm trying to get away from that, but he has his reasons which has to do with towing (that I don't agree with). This will have a pull out kitchen box on the hitch end (more set-up---sigh). So, I designed it to fold.

I made a foam core board model 6:1 scale so my Ken doll could use it :lol: . I worked out some bugs in the design and have my final SketchUp file ready. Here's the model. I hope it's OK to post links to my blog since that's where I uploaded the images.

http://grynmoors.org/blog/post/tiny-tudor-tourney-trailer-model-build-part-2

When the weather improves here (usually by June) we'll start building. First, we're going to make a chicken tractor out of the stuff to get the hang of working with the materials.

In the meantime, I'm having fun playing with SketchUp and making all kinds of "medieval structures" (foamie standies) on wheels and dreaming about having one of those.
2 person foamie standie.jpg
2 person foamie standie.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

2 person foamie sandie profile.jpg
2 person foamie sandie profile.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby lthomas987 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Did you see this build? viewtopic.php?f=55&t=68231 His is quite tall and he managed to tow it at highway speeds.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby joyofweaving » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes! I was just having a poke around the forums and saw that. I'll have to show it to the old man! :lol: Thanks for the heads up.
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby joyofweaving » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Bah. He doesn't care. It has to fold. He wants it lower than the top of the Bronco and have as little wind resistance as possible. :(
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan242 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

I wanted to build a medieval/ Gypsy wagon type of build also, My original designs were close to what you are trying to do, then modified them as practicality became a concern. Ended up making the front more aero and the back more "Gypsy", Inside height is 48" but it feels roomy inside. We hope to paint and stencil it to make it look old school
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68161
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby joyofweaving » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm

I can't love your design enough!! That's so awesome!!!

I'm only 5'2" so making a smallish height tudor house wouldn't be such a problem. He's 6' tall and doesn't want to bend over or constantly hit his head. We came to a compromise. He wants it to fold. He also wanted to make me an outdoor kitchen box that would slide out onto the tongue like a big drawer. I don't want an outside kitchen!!! That's additional set up plus having to hide the modern equipment when I'm done and the mess that's always visible. I told him that if he wants it to fold, then I want something too, and that's an indoor kitchen. I'm getting my indoor kitchen. :)
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies