I wish I knew of you guys before I built this!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I wish I knew of you guys before I built this!

Postby Kick Me » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Added advantage:. It provides its own frame. He just cut the foam and glued it in

I can see that now - looks like I wouldn't even need to finish the edges. You gotta stop tempting me man - I don't need any more projects before my trip! :lol:
Kick Me
Teardrop Inspector

Postby me&z » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Kick Me wrote:
. You gotta stop tempting me man - I don't need any more projects before my trip! :lol:

Priorities, dude!

Of course that's the same reason we haven't started our build - too many other projects. That and the pesky thing called "work".
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Just thinking , might want to stay out of strong crosswinds ... narrow track and all ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Kick Me wrote: Round windows would keep the stress concentrations down, and I think they'd just look rad! Perhaps plexiglass taped on both sides to cover the hole and insulate. And an internal shade to keep the light out. Literally as I'm writing this I'm starting to change my mind on the "no windows" stance...

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kick Me » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Just thinking , might want to stay out of strong crosswinds ... narrow track and all ..

We got hit by a few of them on our last outing - I think the tanks being so low as well as all of the wood being on the bottom - it just doesn't want to flip. The top of it weighs next to nothing compared to the fully-loaded trailer. I think that's what keeps it so stable! My dad's old RV used to wiggle pretty good when we passed a semi truck going the other way, but this thing barely wobbles. Could be the shape too maybe?

That and the pesky thing called "work".

Doesn't that always get in the way? :lol: Ah well, without it I couldn't even afford a sheet of foam so I guess it stays.

And that video - WOAH! I think I'm gonna do the gamma lid on the inside, and use that articulating panel method on the outside! It's gonna be sweeeeeet! But now I have an excuse for it to take a little while to do :D
Kick Me
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:58 pm

There's a few longer ones about the whole project. Google videos "europe kayak hobbit van"
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:37 am

“ The top of it weighs next to nothing compared to the fully-loaded trailer “ ... Thanks for the info , Glad that works KM , as we’ve long speculated about the superiority of a low center of gravity with a tall camper ... You may not know , a few years back one of our members had a “blow over” .. It did more damage to the trailer than the foam , but it gave us more practical towing info. and some cautionary recommendations. And then too the top shape must has something to do with it .... Mine too , trucks passing , no problem ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kick Me » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:07 am

a few years back one of our members had a “blow over”

Woah! Did you guys identify the root cause? I mean, I THINK I'm good, but that's based on about 12 hrs total in various weather. Stories like this remind me to make sure!
Kick Me
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rruff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Kick Me wrote:So without further ado - here it is, in all its ridiculous glory. Or lack thereof. :R Enjoy!
http://www.whatwhyand.how/2017/03/hexay ... t-has.html

Some guys do make really pretty campers, I can appreciate them but I'm not that ambitious either. The nice finish work seems to take ~90% of the time.
Last edited by rruff on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Kick Me wrote:Did you guys identify the root cause?

Don't keep driving when it's really blowing.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kick Me » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:59 pm

I thought at least a photo of your creation should be here, but I'll take it down if you wish.

That's a good idea - I'll edit the original post. Thanks!

Don't keep driving when it's really blowing.

Will do. Or will not do. Whichever makes the most sense to say "I agree with the thing you say" haha. Now I'm gonna be paranoid for this next trip - but then again maybe an ounce of paranoia is worth several hours of picking my crap up from the side of the road o.O :D
Kick Me
Teardrop Inspector

Postby me&z » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 pm

The sad tale of the Penguino I.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44431&start=120
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:58 pm

It's good to keep this in mind when designing any foamie.

Mike...

me&z wrote:The sad tale of the Penguino I.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44431&start=120
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby me&z » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:16 pm

But it must be noted the the Penguino I did NOT split open and drop camping gear all over the highway. Most of the damage was to the trailer hitch. The foam camper held together more or less.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby rruff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Kick Me wrote:I think the tanks being so low as well as all of the wood being on the bottom - it just doesn't want to flip. The top of it weighs next to nothing compared to the fully-loaded trailer. I think that's what keeps it so stable! My dad's old RV used to wiggle pretty good when we passed a semi truck going the other way, but this thing barely wobbles. Could be the shape too maybe?

You might be fine, especially if you have the floor loaded with stuff.

Keep in mind that wind force goes up with the square of speed. A 40mph cross wind is 4x the force of a 20mph. Even though the wind you create when driving down the road will be in line with your camper on a calm day, if there are crosswinds the side force will get amplified the faster you go. So if the lateral winds are strong it's good to take it slow or stop entirely. That reduces the side force as well as the damage if it does flip!
rruff
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies