automotive spray trim adhesive to hold canvas ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

automotive spray trim adhesive to hold canvas ?

Postby rustytoolss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Has anyone tried to use automotive spray on trim adhesive. Like 3M 8090 headliner adhesive. To get the canvas to stick to the interior ceiling panel. That stuff gets real tacky (holds car headliners). Then once the ceiling canvas is staying up, proceed to paint on the TB2. Just a thought/ just asking ?
This is just a thought for when I get to the point of needing to attach my canvas to my interior ceiling. The 3M could hold up the canvas (very tacky)... until you get the TB2 applied. Or maybe just a dumb idea. Would not be my first :oops:
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: automotive spray trim adhesive to hold canvas ?

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:55 am

No idea is dumb , but just needs to be tested ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 am

The spray adhesive would seal the wood when dry. I don't think the TB would penetrate the wood.

Time for testing like GPW said.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am

rustytoolss wrote:Has anyone tried to use automotive spray on trim adhesive. Like 3M 8090 headliner adhesive. To get the canvas to stick to the interior ceiling panel. That stuff gets real tacky (holds car headliners). Then once the ceiling canvas is staying up, proceed to paint on the TB2. Just a thought/ just asking ?
This is just a thought for when I get to the point of needing to attach my canvas to my interior ceiling. The 3M could hold up the canvas (very tacky)... until you get the TB2 applied. Or maybe just a dumb idea. Would not be my first :oops:
    I've used different 3M adhesive sprays over the years, but my go-to was always Super 77. From putting a headliner in my Chevelle, to gluing paper labels on hundreds of thousands of plastic-shrink-wrapped pallets (I ran receiving dept. for a major metropolitan newspaper-sorta like Clark Kent, aka S.......), I did both, using Super 77. The headliner is still up, after 21 years, and I presume my successor at work still uses Super 77, also. I think it'll work for you, in this case, as would the 8090. Here's the 3M recommendation-for-usage chart:
  • 3M Adhesive chart1.PNG
    3M Adhesive chart1.PNG (122.28 KiB) Viewed 622 times
    the fabric-to-foam recommendation is 77, 80, 90
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 am

Gosh guys , for my money , I was trying to get away from those smelly spray adhesives... First , they're a bit pricy , and from experiences years ago , in exposure to heat ( sun ) the adhesive outgasses and actually melts the foam a bit ... ( 3M77 tested on Balsa covered foam wings ) ...
PLUS , it’s just not that difficult to lay a piece of material on the ceiling with TB2 ... ( If I can do it , anybody can do it !!! ) .. Extra pair of hands helps ... The trick is to cut your fabric to size , leaving just a couple inches on each side ... then roll up the fabric into a roll ... Then you can start at one end , generously apply straight T2 to the ceiling (foam) , and start to stick one end of the roll down at your starting point ... Your helper can hold the roll while you press the fabric into place with a small squeegee ...and hold and unroll as you go ( easy work for the helper ) ... Without a helper , you need to make a T stick out of scraps , something the right length to hold up the roll while you glue ... ( more diffcult)

One point ... ( here it comes ) if you use something to stick the fabric to the foam at the starting point , it won’t try to detach ... I used Blow gun darts as they were Big , easy to work with, and had orange tips I could see...

Ps. if the fabric wasn’t pre shrunk , you might want to leave extra fabric all around to trim ... and be prepared to go back and squeege ( press down) the edges again ... and again ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 pm

I tried several spray adhesives and they all melted the foam to about half its thickness.
For use on plywood sure, but i dont see spray adhesive as something permanent. They seem to loosen with heat and flexing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

good to know
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Return to Foamies