spray adhesive for polystyrene/EPS, and mattress source

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

spray adhesive for polystyrene/EPS, and mattress source

Postby Bob Hammond » Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello, while pricing out a mattress, I ran across a recommendation for this spray adhesive for extruded polystyrene foam: Camie 373:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/accessories/adhesive.html
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: spray adhesive for polystyrene/EPS, and mattress source

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 am

Interesting. :thinking: I wonder if anyone has first hand experience with this. :thinking:

Not very economical at a dollar an oz, though. :roll:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Sometimes you just can't get the thickness you want, need to build up from thinner. This stuff creates a single block from two sheets, and often much cheaper than paying for freight vs regular carrier.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Don L. » Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Another mattress possibility is buying a futon mattress at smart or a house and garden store. As long as your bed is a standard size you can find a range of thicknesses and densities and they come with a lot of different coverings so they look really good.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed May 03, 2017 6:06 am

Anybody use sleeping bags anymore ? Beds take up so much precious room ...floor space ...and you basically have to “live" where you sleep ...

Since we're only sleeping a third of the day , the bed should only occupy a third of the trailer eh ??? :thinking:

“ camping is driving a long way to live like poor people “ (?)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed May 03, 2017 7:07 am

Yes a tiny trailer is not a house. Making the best of available space takes good design and extra cost. But a **tiny** travel trailer is basically a rolling tent, more convenient chuck box plus a little more storage.

Move with the nice weather and spend more time outdoors!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:33 am

"camping is driving a long way to live like poor people “

Nice, lol.

The best quote I've seen is

"Definition of Camping: Traveling and spending a small fortune to live like a homeless person"

Like John said I am building mine with the same mindset, a hardwired tent on wheels. It's a sleeping space and shelter. Canopy covering table, chairs and next to the fire pit is living space. Your "kitchen space" is up to whether you want to build a galley or not. Wife is liking the idea of a small sink and propane stove. Can't say I disagree when a bundle of firewood is $5 for a little bundle.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

"camping is driving a long way to live like poor people “

That is funny and could be true!

For me, I have seen something different everywhere I have camped and I haven't really left my state hardly. I don't need spectacular views and stuff, I just go for a walk on a trail and observe what I can. Her's a little known spot on the James River about an hour from me. My only gripe was I didn't catch a catfish like I was hoping to, but i did eventually find a great spot for cat fishing and meeting some locals.
Attachments
Chippokes SP.jpg
Chippokes SP.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 am

"Pushing 70" now , we camped out a lot in our youth , traveling around painting pictures of this beautiful country we live in. ( my job) And if it wasn’t sleeping in the back of a van or pickup truck , it was out in the open in an old Boy Scout Pup Tent ( and ancient sleeping bag ) I used for years . But since Katrina hit our area , and subsequent unexpected 5+ week EVAC , (living like “poor people “ ) and led to this site and TTT’s ... We’ve been so excited about “tiny trailer camping” !!! ( "hard tent") 8) Nice dry “room" to rollout the old sleeping bag and place to keep your “stuff” ... But on these latest trailer builds , we have settled on lots of thick outdoor cushions ,that we got cheap on a  “clearance” sale, to sleep on (lots of small pillows too ) cushions which can be stacked in many different ways to make comfortable beds sofas and chairs ( even outdoors on a tarp "rug”) ... and when not needed just stacked conveniently out of the way ... and washable ... ;)

JMHO , that may be a lot better than having a dedicated “Bed” taking up that huge amount of floorspace space 24/7 ... :thinking: All what you get used to really !!! Do what you like, and what makes you most comfortable !!! :thumbsup:

RE: Adhesive ... some of those “Foam specific adhesives are specifically packaged mostly for the model "Hobby “ industry and can be extremely pricy ...usually the same material can be found a LOT cheaper with a little extra searching elsewhere... That and you have to be careful , because some spray adhesives out-gas much later when heated ( sunlight) and that may not matter in a model ( although we've had slightly melted foam surfaces as a result )... but we wouldn’t want to breathe those gasses ...a stinky camper can ruin an otherwise good trip ... :R My 2cents ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu May 04, 2017 8:29 am

Slightly melted surface sounds to me like choosing the wrong adhesive for the type of foam.

And really there should only be spray between two sheets/slabs, none exposed. And the foam assembly eventually fully enclosed, protected by a cover.

And I do like the idea of lots of different shapes, to create lounge chair, sofa effect. But they do take up space, thinking maybe DIY inflatable?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 05, 2017 5:37 am

J61, "Slightly melted surface sounds to me like choosing the wrong adhesive for the type of foam. “ We always took that to be true , just there wasn’t a lot of spray glue selections so many years ago .. ( 3M77 ) was about it , and it did slightly melt the foam surfaces , and did outgass much later when heated , and maybe it was the outgassing that melted the foam ... and it was expensive ...
When we worked at a guitar amp company doing upholstery ( 1969 ) , we used a heated , water based glue ( double boiler ) and roller to apply it ...That worked fine , never a problem and we still see examples of our work these many years later still intact ... :o

Here’s some pictures of our cushions and some arrangements ...just to give you an idea ...
Attachments
DSCF0110.JPG
DSCF0110.JPG (166.48 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
DSCF0111.JPG
DSCF0111.JPG (149.92 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
DSCF0112 copy.JPG
DSCF0112 copy.JPG (175.15 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 05, 2017 5:49 am

... and more pics ...
Attachments
FStexttest.jpg
FStexttest.jpg (388.45 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
FS pillows.JPG
FS pillows.JPG (239.88 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
DSCF0107x.JPG
DSCF0107x.JPG (208.44 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Last edited by GPW on Fri May 05, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 am

...and the old Fool relaxing ... I wish they made these loungers bigger ... :FNP

You can see all this leaves a lot of floor space , for different things ... like the proverbial “Rainy day” ... i wouldn’t want to spend a rainy day on a bed ... :NC
Attachments
image-4.jpg
image-4.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 am

I really want a bed that converts to at least the two extreme positions of that ZG chair.

Yes can do it with ply using something like the futon hinges, or with stacks of wedge pillows.

But I'm thinking DIY inflatable would be simpler than the first and more space-efficient than the latter.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Or some nice bean bag chairs ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies